Would You Be Upset If We Go Cb 1st Round? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Be Upset If We Go Cb 1st Round?

If, IF, Miami picks a CB, I believe they are regressing to some bad old days. Wrong player, wrong time, wrong position. This team has to be built to, first and above all else beat New England. A CB will not help, why? Because NE is moving toward a power running game. The Emperor knows that he can't get rid of his aging QB, so he does what he always does, he adapts. A CB negates one player, a quality inside lineman can negate several players. For example, hurrying, sacking, and harassing the QB can negate TEs, WRs, etc. In fact the Rams did a great defensive job against NE, it is too bad Gurley was not physically able to play to his full potential, I believe the outcome would have been different. Of course the Rams coaches lack of adaptability, in the face of knowing their #1 RB was at about 10% didn't help either.

As far as Kyler Murray is concerned. About a thousand years ago, I said Jay Ajayi would have a Super Bowl ring before the Phis won a SB, I said this because the probabilities of Phil winning a SB at that time were very high, and his addition, raised those probabilities. So I think the probabilities surrounding K. Murrey are against him, he is too short and his hands are too small to be a great success in the NFL, he may cause a splash to start with but once the opposing DC's figure out how much he is "arc" challenged it will be hard for him to make headway. And yes I know D. Brees is not over 6 ft but he is not 5'10" either.

The Ever Observant VIPER
I will never say guy is going be good or bad until he play games in nfl. Murry does everything good except he is short. one thing about expert in nfl draft. their job is not on line. how many 6ft and above qb have fail in nfl? a lot. the only person knew Mohomes was going be that good was Andy Reed. Andy may never won SB but he can pick good Qb. wonder what Andy think of Murry? he is expert at QB.

Last edited:
I didnt pull that quote out of thin air. It's been filed away in the mental rolodex since I read it back then. It's also where I personally started taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

I said you have decent insight and evaluations, but you are not infallible.

The infallible thing is a total strawman argument. Never said I was. As GOAT said, I often talk about instances where I’ve been wrong.

Just so happens your memory is faulty with respect to the Pat White thing. I gave the pick a D grade. Said they picked a career backup QB a la Seneca Wallace in the mid 2nd round, and I went to great lengths to debunk the idea that White would evolve the Wildcat.

You just got your panties in a twist because I also didn’t like Mark Sanchez in that draft and said he was probably no better than White.

The only position I'd be pissed with would be left tackle... There's literally no other position on the team where they can honestly say *where fine here* with a straight face...

CK has always done good work, but I really appreciate how he continues to get better and better. I like to think that my perspective improves some with each class, and I see that in CK. Obv, I don't want to speak for him, but I get the sense that he's consistently improving his understanding, which is not something you can say for people who think they know it all. I recently came across the phrase, which Josh Hermsmeyer (good Twitter follow fwiw) attributed to a friend: strong positions weakly held. It roughly translates to, Do the work so that you can have the best opinion you've capable of, but be humble enough to be open to new (potentially better) information."

Here's the thing, though. A differing opinion is not new information. Unless you're willing to show your work to some degree, you shouldn't expect someone who has done the work to meet you halfway, because you're not meeting them halfway.

On the subject of CB's, assuming Murray is off the board, if any of Williams, Murphy, Baker, or Love test as worthy, I'd support the pick.

1st round has to be D-line for me. Anything else is madness. Gotta get the foundations laid before you can build the house.

I want d-line. I want o line. No cb. Something is also like to see is a power run game, with a big running back. Old school Jerome bettis, bruiser style runningback. Everyone is gearing up for the pass. The way to beat them, in my opinion, is to gear up with a team that goes against what everyone is trending toward. Then get that QB in a year or two, who doesn’t have to light it up from the start or get run out of town.

The infallible thing is a total strawman argument. Never said I was. As GOAT said, I often talk about instances where I’ve been wrong.

Just so happens your memory is faulty with respect to the Pat White thing. I gave the pick a D grade. Said they picked a career backup QB a la Seneca Wallace in the mid 2nd round, and I went to great lengths to debunk the idea that White would evolve the Wildcat.

You just got your panties in a twist because I also didn’t like Mark Sanchez in that draft and said he was probably no better than White.

Just as a clarification, I make no pretense of being an acronym.

It appears there is more depth than top level talent at CB around pick 13. You could feasibly find one in the 2nd round to compete for the starter spot. If you look at our defense the weakness, after all the chips fall, is clearly the D-line. Not one front 4 player has PB talent. Our secondary, on the other hand has a pretty strong group while being 1 player short of a complete quality starting unit. I would not be excited over a CB at 13 but it's going to depend on how the board falls.

I would just take the highest rated player out of CB, DL, OL

It appears they are going to try and re-sign James at RT but that doesn't mean they will. Sitton is likely gone. We likely end up with holes at both guard spots and center. I do not see them going into the season with Tank Carradine as the top SDE. I also think they need upgrades on Godchaux, Taylor and Harris. Value being at weak side edge.

Check out this mock with the Miami trade down...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...iders-jaguars-move-to-top-of-round-1-for-qbs/

CK has always done good work, but I really appreciate how he continues to get better and better. I like to think that my perspective improves some with each class, and I see that in CK. Obv, I don't want to speak for him, but I get the sense that he's consistently improving his understanding, which is not something you can say for people who think they know it all. I recently came across the phrase, which Josh Hermsmeyer (good Twitter follow fwiw) attributed to a friend: strong positions weakly held. It roughly translates to, Do the work so that you can have the best opinion you've capable of, but be humble enough to be open to new (potentially better) information."

Here's the thing, though. A differing opinion is not new information. Unless you're willing to show your work to some degree, you shouldn't expect someone who has done the work to meet you halfway, because you're not meeting them halfway.

On the subject of CB's, assuming Murray is off the board, if any of Williams, Murphy, Baker, or Love test as worthy, I'd support the pick.

Absolutely. CK has improved tremendously in my opinion in terms of eyeing college talent - but he's always done the work. Which is what matters to me. The most important aspect of evaluating players is evaluating yourself.

Reality is, a lot of people hold NFL GM's and personnel executives in high esteem simply because of the position they hold. However, if people knew about every single evaluation and opinion they had about every single player in the draft - they wouldn't hold nearly as high of an opinion of 'em.

They don't have the market cornered on talent evaluation. Just the money.

Absolutely. CK has improved tremendously in my opinion in terms of eyeing college talent - but he's always done the work. Which is what matters to me. The most important aspect of evaluating players is evaluating yourself.

Reality is, a lot of people hold NFL GM's and personnel executives in high esteem simply because of the position they hold. However, if people knew about every single evaluation and opinion they had about every single player in the draft - they wouldn't hold nearly as high of an opinion of 'em.

They don't have the market cornered on talent evaluation. Just the money.

Couldn't agree more, Slimm. The bit about GM's applies across disciplines, as well.

The draft guys on Finheaven are the reason why I joined the blog. Before Finheaven I would scour the news and internet, hungry for Miami Dolphin and Draft news. There aren't many people on the web, who are better than the guys on this website. I commend all of you for all the hard work you put into analyzing prospects. I'd like to say "Thank You", it's been a pleasure reading this blog and draft analysis since 2004!!!

I can't say it any better than CK! We have to somehow go up and get this kid. He is the next super star in the NFL and it's about time Miami gets a great player at QB. Kyler is Baker, he's Wilson and he's Mahomes. He has a little bit of each of their qualities rolled into one elusive, lightning fast QB who threw over 40 TDs against 7 picks. Do what you've got to do!!

With X and Fitz as our young core for the future would you be upset if we took a CB with our first round pick.
With a strong secondary you can hide your deficiency on the line.
Also I don't believe we have the personal to switch to a 3 -4 defense as was stated numerous times since our new coaching staff took over.
Would be Nice to have an elite seconary like Madison and Surtain gave us .

I think Tankersly was poorly coached last year... and schemed wrong...He’s better at man coverage, he was lost in zone.

I could see this coaching staff bringing out the best version of Tankersly!

My questions regarding Kyler Murray are.....

Does he fit with what Miami wants to do on offense?
Does he really love football or is he just going for the biggest initial check? Will he be a monster in the film room?
Why was he so awkward/uncomfortable in the interview asking about football or baseball? I honestly don't know but what is his maturity level? The interview process would be huge for him IMO.

I have now heard two people say he would have been QB5 in last years draft. One was a well respected former GM, Scot McGloughan. The other is someone in the circle but I cannot remember at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom