Would you trade up from 18 for a shot at Pitts?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade up from 18 for a shot at Pitts??

Curious to see if Miami fans would be willing to trade the 18th overall pick and Gesicki to move up and draft Kyle Pitts? The Dolphins might need to toss in a future pick too, but it might be worth it.
Great question!

I think that 1 year from now we and many other teams will regret not doing just this. Both Waddle and Pitts (very different styles of of WR's) are guys who could go top 10 or late 1st. These guys have tremendous upside, and IMHO, Pitts also has a very high floor. Almost a can't-miss prospect.

No, this message board is opposed to trading any draft capitol to move up or acquire a veteran. We need all of our 4th-7th round picks to round out our practice squad
Sarcasm! What a refreshing change from the insults that come if you don't agree with that opinion. I salute you!:UP:

Great question!

I think that 1 year from now we and many other teams will regret not doing just this. Both Waddle and Pitts (very different styles of of WR's) are guys who could go top 10 or late 1st. These guys have tremendous upside, and IMHO, Pitts also has a very high floor. Almost a can't-miss prospect.
Sorry to reply to my own post, but it felt a little late to modify it.

I missed the part about including Gesicki in the trade in the OP, and would add the caveat to my quoted post that if we trade up from 18 to get Pitts, that 's a smart move. But, Gesicki is already a better asset than Pitts, and our hope is that Pitts becomes what Gesicki has already become--a true mismatch that makes teams gameplan for him. Teams single-cover Parker. They gameplan against Gesicki. Him running seam routes makes it almost impossible to build a good scheme against, which is why we keep seeing him catching intermediate and long passes straight up the gut of the defense, and everyone keeps asking, 'how does a defense not know this is coming, and how have they not stopped this yet?' The answer is that he is a mismatch, a 6'6 guy with a 41" vertical, long arms and strong hands who excels at contested catches ... oh yeah, and he runs a freakin' 4.5 so LB's can't keep up with him and he dwarfs and outmuscles CB's. Only a S has a prayer of covering him ... and they're not going to do it successfully alone, so the scheme needs to keep one eye on him at all times.

Anyone drafting Pitts is hoping he becomes the exact same thing. Gesicki will command money, sure, but it's because he _already is_ that matchup monster that Pitts may or may not become, and it probably will not be as far progressed until he's had a few NFL years under his belt. At that time, who knows what the team needs will be, or how much his contract renegotiation will cost. Better to take the bird in the hand with a phenomenally high ceiling (Gesicki), than a guy who is almost as good in Pitts. Pitts is unlikely to be longer than Mike Gesicki (6'6 + long arms + 41" vetrical). Pitts is about the same speed, and about the same height, so we're probably talking about a similar ceiling for both players. But if you want better production and defense-threat in 2021, 2022, it's clear Gesicki is the guy you want.

My previous post was about the prospect Pitts being worthy of trading up. I realize now that I didn't make that clear. Sorry. My perspective was pairing Pitts with Gesicki, giving us two interchangable monsters who were both mismatch nightmares, and creating havoc for defenses. Essentially, both guys are big slot receivers ... but teams rarely have even 1 guy who can cover that. Making them plan to cover 2 of them ... that makes OC's salivate. At best, we have Parker as our #1, with Gesicki and Preston Williams playing those roles now. If we added Pitts, we would move Williams to be Parker's backup. We would also need someone with supreme speed to work in and keep the defenses focusing deep and opening up the underneath for Tua's bread and butter short throws, which are the staple of the NFL these days.

Last edited:
The draft value chart makes it our 18 and 50 for the 10th pick. I would do this in a heart beat, pick up A.Jones RB in FA and our offense starts to look scary especially when D.Smith WR is our 3rd overall pick. Take the best available RT at 36 to bump Hunt inside.

Maybe we could trade #18 and next years #1 and #2 and Gesicki and for Pitts, hell why not Tua and a #1 and a #2 for him? You think this regime is stupid? I would move a #2 for him, but **** all the BS.

They are not going to trade up for a TE/ hybrid slot guy. Not when they need a RB or another OL.
Slater will be in play at #18 but theres little chance he is available.
With last years disaster of not drafting 1 of the 5 top RB they are not going to let that happen again. I would be shocked if they dont draft Harris at #18.
He is a Derrick Henry type talent that is a better receiver for the checkdown passes that Tua can complete.
What they do in free agency will signal the draft process so we all will have to wait for that. I know the Aaron Jones talk is there but he has ball security issues and has tread on the tires.

I've been saying that for months. Trade back a little from #3 and pick the best WR available and then use the highest pick from that trade to move up from #18 and draft Pitts.

Such as? And at what price?
Kelvin Beachum. Moderately priced 31 year old good player with 3 or 4 good years left. Not a HOF RT but maybe we can sign Linsley at a high price, have an amazing interior o line and a good couple of tackles. Top 10 o line.

Then add Smith, Pitts and a drafted RB to our offense. Look out.

I've been saying that for months. Trade back a little from #3 and pick the best WR available and then use the highest pick from that trade to move up from #18 and draft Pitts.
I add a little to it in use the capital from trading back get a top w/o pitts and Harris. Add talent to the o-line in free agency. Add Toney or Eskridge. We have many weapons. With the rest of the draft, we can add depth to the defense. Plus if we are able to trade with a team like Carolina , we would have 2 1sts next year.

Kelvin Beachum. Moderately priced 31 year old good player with 3 or 4 good years left. Not a HOF RT but maybe we can sign Linsley at a high price, have an amazing interior o line and a good couple of tackles. Top 10 o line.

Then add Smith, Pitts and a drafted RB to our offense. Look out.
TBH, we have had pretty bad luck with 30+ year old FAs. They always seem to either get injured, or are just playing out the string on one last payday.

Obviously I have no knowledge of the coaches comfort level with the young guys going forward, but my sense is the team won't spend big on a FA O-line aquisition.

If they have serious concerns, Sewell is probably the way to go. If not, then there is no reason to do anything drastic.

I know ppl pushing hard for Smith/Chase/Waddle/Harris don't want to hear it, but if the FO truly thinks the O-line is not finished, and seriously flawed, they will continue to invest.

I love Pitts, I would trade up a few spots for him 100% .

I'm my dream mock, we trade down to 8 and get Waddle/Smith or Chase and then somehow Pitts falls to 18. Its a pipe dream but it would be amazing.

Yes, I would.

After taking Chase or Smith at 3 or after a small trade down, I'd trade right back up from 18 to get Waddle or Pitts.

Get our young franchise QB some real ****ing weapons. Let's go.

Back
Top Bottom