Would you trade X for two first round picks? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would you trade X for two first round picks?

Assuming we are talking about a least one top 15 pick then yes. Wouldn't do it with a team like KC, GB or NO where where it's late 20's or worse. I doubt it will happen due to Howards salary requirement unless a team thinks they are one player away (which would tend to be a team picking in the 20's+).

Last edited:
You always take the call but realistically speaking nobody is giving up what X is worth to us in my opinion.

Top tier and elite CBs get traded all the time, yes I would trade him in a heartbeat for two first round picks.

Not happening but if the offer presented itself then absolutely. X stock isn’t going to get any higher and his age isn’t getting any lower. It’s unlikely that he has a better season than this one going forward.

Howard will be 28 next season and comes with an extensive injury history. How many more All Pro seasons does he have? What happens when he gets a $20M+ per year extension and ends up on IR? That being said, the only teams that would ever give up 2 1st round picks for a guy like him would be contenders. No real point in trading our best player for 2 playoff team 1sts. Don’t think we can count on O’Brien getting another job and tanking a playoff team to get us a top 3 1st next year as well.
He probably has 2-3 years of elite CB play. Looking at previous CB's I would say early 30s is around the time they stop playing at an elite level. Surtain never made another PB (Pro Bowl) or AP (All Pro) past the age of 28, same for Sam Madison, Revis last AP season was at 29, Rod Woodson last AP as a CB season was at 29. Only 12 CB's since 1998 have 2 or more Pro Bowls in their 30's, only 7 CB's have 1 All Pro 1st team and only 1 CB has 2 or more 1st team All Pro to their name (Charles Woodson).

I'd trade Jones for a 2nd in a heartbeat.

I love X but the Patriots way says the answer to this question is an absolute yes. Factor in he's about to be 28 and corners tend to fall off in their early 30s. Definition of "sell high" but you better add some playmakers in the secondary because aside from Howard, we have NONE

On that note, as much as Flo/Grier like McCain he really needs to be replaced by a ball hawking safety.

Well, there is the line of thinking that says a year too early is better than a year too late. Salary cap issues also play a part.

In this case, X is a primary key piece that gives Flo huge flexibility, a cornerstone of his entire philosophy.

If you trade him, you better have someone to step in seamlessly, or this defense will regress substantially.
Exactly. We saw how bad the defense struggled early in the year when it was just missing the lesser quality cornerback Byron Jones. So much of what Miami tries to do up front is predicated on what they are able to do with their corners.

Exactly. We saw how bad the defense struggled early in the year when it was just missing the lesser quality cornerback Byron Jones. So much of what Miami tries to do up front is predicated on what they are able to do with their corners.
Need an edge, an actual threat edge. Jones is meh, didn't agree with that, but I like Howard back there. Hes a playmaker and a veteran of the team which we need to keep.

I do realize his value in trade, but I don't see other teams giving us that same value in trade so keep on keeping on Howard. Set the record next year and the year after....for Miami.

Need an edge, an actual threat edge. Jones is meh, didn't agree with that, but I like Howard back there. Hes a playmaker and a veteran of the team which we need to keep.

I do realize his value in trade, but I don't see other teams giving us that same value in trade so keep on keeping on Howard. Set the record next year and the year after....for Miami.
The point is, Miami is a coverage first team that schemes up their pass rush packages just like New England did.

At a time when Miami is knocking on the door to becoming a real super bowl threat, I'd stick with Howard.

Different story if the team was in salary cap hell.

X for two firsts is a no brainer. He's had a great year and he's stayed healthy, but he's not always stayed healthy. It'd be a godsend if somebody were to give up two firsts.

Would I trade my favorite player for two first round picks? Absolutely, that’s a no brainer.
I am trying to win Super Bowls. Howard’s knees will expire before this team is complete.

Yes, because in 2021 I'd like to watch the 2022 1st round selection envelope take the field as our starting corner.

Fun fact: When half of the draft are busts, 2 1st round picks are equivalent to one good player. Will that player be as good as Howard? If you say yes, you haven't watched football much.

I would trade x in Watson trade to houston.. other than that no way. We need him...

Back
Top Bottom