X Trade Offer Super Thread | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X Trade Offer Super Thread

The Pats couldn’t get more than a 1st for Gilmore after back to back 1st team All-Pro seasons and a DPoY in 2019. If they got an offer close to what people here are suggesting Howard might get, Gilmore would already be in another uniform. X is a good player, but I just don’t see a lot of teams being interested in acquiring him. His desire to get paid will only be a hassle for his future team. Every time a new CB makes more than him he will hold out for more money.
The mods should ban you for making sense in the off season. DONT MAKE SENSE PLEASE. YOUR POST IS TOO LOGICAL. Did anyone tell you it makes no sense to make sense?

Scotty, there are levels and X is a top 2 or 3 CB in the game. Trading X creates a hole that I would like to see filled by the trade. There may be no team in in the NFL willing to do that deal but that's what I'd demand for a 10 interception CB. 10 picks hasn't happened for something like 14 years. Grier/Flo would listen if they could get a young CB that was a recent first or second round pick. Just as an example, Denver just drafted Patrick Surtain Jr #9 overall. Surtain Jr and a pick might make everybody feel better about replacing Howard with a stud.

Scotty, there are levels and X is a top 2 or 3 CB in the game. Trading X creates a hole that I would like to see filled by the trade. There may be no team in in the NFL willing to do that deal but that's what I'd demand for a 10 interception CB. 10 picks hasn't happened for something like 14 years. Grier/Flo would listen if they could get a young CB that was a recent first or second round pick. Just as an example, Denver just drafted Patrick Surtain Jr #9 overall. Surtain Jr and a pick might make everybody feel better about replacing Howard with a stud.
Yes, but only a complete novice would make that offer.

Denver isn't winning this year, so for their interests, Surtain is worth more than Howard. The deal would be Howard AND a pick for Surtain.

That would mean Denver is getting rid of a rookie contract and gaining a contract that will be around 100 million dollars.

I guess what us your definition of a terrific athlete? I am saying as compared to NFL CBs he is not. That is not a knock on him as a player he one of the best CBs in the NFL. Basically X is a lot like Surtain with better ball skills a little more size. Both were average athletes for a CB though. Surtain fell of big time once he lost a step, his technical skills and smarts just couldn't make up the gap in speed/quickness anymore. Guys like Woodson/Bailey were elite athletes at CB when they lost a step they where still above average/ average from a speed/quickness level. Basically when they lost a step they went from 4.3-4.4 guys to 4.5-4.6 types. They were still able to gang with the young 4.3-4.4 guys with veteran smarts. Problem with X is he is a 4.5-4.6 guy already when he loses a step he just won't be able to make up the speed difference anymore. Like I said he may be able to slide to FS but I just don't see him lasting at CB into much past 30.
Howard has ridiculous closing speed on the ball when it’s in the air. That’s what I was getting at. Some of it is due to reaction / processing time and some of it athletic ability. I think the man is very much in his prime and still has several years of elite play left in him. And I want to win a SB. Our chances are better with him.

Howard has ridiculous closing speed on the ball when it’s in the air. That’s what I was getting at. Some of it is due to reaction / processing time and some of it athletic ability. I think the man is very much in his prime and still has several years of elite play left in him. And I want to win a SB. Our chances are better with him.
A couple points, just to.play devils advocate.

X has had about a season and a half of "elite" play out of five, so to assume several more seasons at that level is not only speculative, but given the fact, historically, great corners tend to fall off in terms of performance in their late 20s, is also unlikely. Couple this with his well known injury history, and it seems to me that long term gaurantees are an unwise, and risky proposition.

Also to say our chances of winning a SB are so much better, while true in a theoretical vacuum, are far more nebulous in reality. It completely dismisses development of younger players, cap implications in regards to paying other players and FAs, etc.

not saying we should care. I'm saying other teams will care about how much they'll have to pay him and because of that we might not have as many possible trade partners as you'd think. Also, a team might not offer as much as they'd be willing to offer for a player that doesn't have a big contract.
This.

We don't care, but his salary and demands affect his already limited options.

I think only AZ (and I'm not sure about them) and Cleveland (and they're about to break the bank for Baker) are options.

The Saints aren't. The Cowboys aren't.

And with Cleveland, they already have talented DBs.

But if I'm them, I'd be offering something like 2 second rounders and Greedy Williams.

Flores comes from the BB philosophy of better to lose players a year early than a year late.

The teams that might offer 1st for X can't afford him.

This.

We don't care, but his salary and demands affect his already limited options.

I think only AZ (and I'm not sure about them) and Cleveland (and they're about to break the bank for Baker) are options.

The Saints aren't. The Cowboys aren't.

And with Cleveland, they already have talented DBs.

But if I'm them, I'd be offering something like 2 second rounders and Greedy Williams.

Flores comes from the BB philosophy of better to lose players a year early than a year late.

The teams that might offer 1st for X can't afford him.

XACTLY! A number of us have been pointing out the limited number of teams that would be interested in X. Cap space (yes, I know about creative contracts) in '21, but also '22 and '23, in serious need of an elite CB, draft capital they are willing to lose, and/or good players they are willing to lose. Those teams are VERY few.

Back
Top Bottom