X Trade Offer Super Thread | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X Trade Offer Super Thread

Adding a few million dollars to his contract so he is the highest-paid CB on our team, that is no unreasonable. It does not put us in cap hell, we are in good shape. Give him an out in 2 yrs at the age of 30 he could get a great contract if still playing at a high level. In 2 yrs we will need to start resigning our young talent so it could work to our advantage
Let me take a crack at why I'm not crazy about that idea either...

One of the things that even the staunchest X supporters have granted is that he probably only has a couple of years of elite play left, due to his age and injury history. In your instance, we would get two more years out of him, and while, this would be good... We would give up more money, and the high ground when it came to players wanting to renegotiate mid-contract.

And I have to ask... is two more years of X worth that? Are we THAT close to a Super Bowl this year?

My gut feeling is that we aren't, and that by the time Tua and our line is ready to compete at that level, then X will be on his last year with us. I guess what I'm thinking is that two years of excellent play (barring another injury) isn't enough to counter the damage to our developing culture.

Let me take a crack at why I'm not crazy about that idea either...

One of the things that even the staunchest X supporters have granted is that he probably only has a couple of years of elite play left, due to his age and injury history. In your instance, we would get two more years out of him, and while, this would be good... We would give up more money, and the high ground when it came to players wanting to renegotiate mid-contract.

And I have to ask... is two more years of X worth that? Are we THAT close to a Super Bowl this year?

My gut feeling is that we aren't, and that by the time Tua and our line is ready to compete at that level, then X will be on his last year with us. I guess what I'm thinking is that two years of excellent play (barring another injury) isn't enough to counter the damage to our developing culture.

If not now when ?

Flores is in his 3rd year and needs to produce results
X is a big plus so make him happy

If not now when ?

Flores is in his 3rd year and needs to produce results
X is a big plus so make him happy
I'm open to the argument that you go all-in at certain times. I would suggest the Bills are there... The Chiefs... a few others.

I don't think we are.

Flores was given a five year contract when the standard contract is four years, and I've long thought that this was an acknowledgement that we were several years away. And our moves showed this... we got rid of every single older player that we had-- freaking ALL of them. Then we signed bridge-type FAs who we could easily jettison while we waited for our youngsters to develop.

Giving into a 28 year old CB with an injury history when I believe we are not a realistic Super Bowl contender this year is sort of counter to the above. If he was willing to play for his current contract, and was a team guy... then ok, he'd be around for 4 more years, but he's neither of those, and I suspect that the coaches KNEW this and it's why they drafted Iggy.

Howard jumped the gun. His money is guaranteed this year, and the cap is going WAY up next year. If he'd been a team guy and played one more year, I think we might have been willing to give him a career-finishing contract... now, this just smacks of what we did with Suh and Reshad Jones... and paying selfish players RARELY works out well.

When we drafted Iggy we had no idea X was gonna snag 10 ints

That's special

When we drafted Iggy we had no idea X was gonna snag 10 ints

That's special
Yup... and that was unexpected.

Good AND bad news.

If he'd had another good year, rather than a great one, then we would likely not be here, but he wants us to pay him for that one year and forget the others-- even though he has money left on his contract.

I'm going to stand pat on the idea that he doesn't have enough left to get us to when we will be an elite team, and bring back the old idea-- trade a player one year too early, than one year too late. This is even more so when that player has become a problem, which X has.

My stance has remained pretty stable since this started. If he'll take another year of guaranteed money and no pay raise, fine. If he wants a bit more money, but no more guarantees, fine. If he wants both, then we move on.

The next step is listening to offers, and credible NFL people (Mike Silver for one) has suggested that we are doing this now.

If we receive a credible offer, take it... if we don't, let him hold out and take 2M in fines.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but the fact remains the team is better with Howard than without him.

Do you dispute that :shrug:

I get what you are saying but the fact remains the team is better with Howard than without him.

I'd be crazy to dispute that...

But I'm more of a team-builder GM type. I seek long-term, rather than short-term success, and X is the very poster child for short term, so I'm less enraptured with him than most.

There is no doubt that we are better off with an injury free, team minded X, who snags 10 interceptions. But that wont be the case even if we did make him the highest paid CB (again).

1. I dont think he will have 10 interceptions again.
2. I certainly hope he can have another injury free season but that seems unlikely.
3. He isnt a Flo team first guy.

But even putting that aside, what signal does that give to the rest of the team?

I HOPE this is a case of a new greedy agent getting into Xs headspace and that he will come to his senses. Give us another very, very good season and let's talk next year. If not, then a 1st and 3rd and wish him the best.

Adding a few million dollars to his contract so he is the highest-paid CB on our team, that is no unreasonable. It does not put us in cap hell, we are in good shape. Give him an out in 2 yrs at the age of 30 he could get a great contract if still playing at a high level. In 2 yrs we will need to start resigning our young talent so it could work to our advantage
I have not seen any indication that X is interested in meeting 1/2 way. We'll see I'm sure.

Maybe X isn’t just holding out for more money. What if he just wants to put himself in a position to stay with the team? He did workout with Iggy in the offseason. He saw the progress and he probably views him as a starter. With the current contract situation X is the odd man out. He might just want to place himself in a better position to stay in Miami and work opposite Iggy. The post didn’t say anything about wanting out. He was just saying that he thinks the team will suffer without him.

I’m not sold on trading X. I actually think he is still improving as a player and is more important to the team than he is given credit. I do sense some resentment in the Byron Jones contract. I don’t think that he is that high on Jones as a player. But overall, I think he just wants to be a part of the team and see the team improve.

You are correct, we are better with him. But by that token we are better with mahomes too.....so should give up what it would take to get him?
Obviously not. My point is that i don't think that just bc someone is good, that we should bend over for them. There's just a comp line that you shouldn't cross and to me......1 year into a 5 year contract that we offered in good faith while he was hurt, is well beyond that line.
1 in a million chance that he's going to repeat last season. Not odds that I'm willing to pay for.

I have not seen any indication that X is interested in meeting 1/2 way. We'll see I'm sure.
While none of us really know, that is the impression I have as well.

It is also possible that the Dophin "powers that be" are just not going to renegotiate this early in a contract,.......period.

Maybe X isn’t just holding out for more money. What if he just wants to put himself in a position to stay with the team? He did workout with Iggy in the offseason. He saw the progress and he probably views him as a starter. With the current contract situation X is the odd man out. He might just want to place himself in a better position to stay in Miami and work opposite Iggy. The post didn’t say anything about wanting out. He was just saying that he thinks the team will suffer without him.

I’m not sold on trading X. I actually think he is still improving as a player and is more important to the team than he is given credit. I do sense some resentment in the Byron Jones contract. I don’t think that he is that high on Jones as a player. But overall, I think he just wants to be a part of the team and see the team improve.
Hmmm......

He has a funny way of showing it if that is the case.

If all he wants is part of his current contract converted to gaurantees, he would have far more leverage by just making a public statement to that effect, rather than making the not so "cryptic" IG post/threat.

My theory as of today is... he's gone.

We told his agent to 'pound sand'... and this is what prompted X's silly Tweet.

Flores and Grier are trying to establish a 25 year dynasty... and are willing to sell X to create a precedent for that 25 year run.

Now we are listening to offers via Nate Silver
Flo and Grier aren’t playing and they aren’t blowing up the cap for anyone. Look how they’re structuring contracts. It’s the Pats model. I also expect that he’s gone because, if people aren’t paying attention, they get rid of players who are me me and don’t want to be in Miami. Buh bye X. We hardly knew ya. 1st and a starting player is my expectation.

Back
Top Bottom