X Trade Offer Super Thread | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X Trade Offer Super Thread

Agree. Kinda makes my point tho. Wouldn’t you think if he wanted to return he’d be tweeting about it? Seems to be tweeting about a lot of things these days.
That would be my perception.

It would also be my perception that if all he was looking for is a coversion of non gauranteed money to gauranteed, for the 2022/23 season, a deal would have already been hammered out.

In the absence of a statement otherwise, it is my belief that he, and his agent for obvious reasons, are looking for much more, probably a completely new deal where he is paid top 3 area money, with substantial future gaurantees. I doubt our FO is going to do anything of the sort.

Again, that is speculative but, in my mind, fits the most likely scenario.

Unfortunately, this hardball stance (from both sides) makes both a new deal, and a lucrative trade, unlikely.

Lol that Marc Thomas guy on Twitter thinks McCoy and a 4th is enough. I had a back and forth about corners are more valued then centers. He doesn’t get it

I don't hate anybody but I do hate this situation. It's too bad that greedy agents get in the ear of their clients and the end result is that the player looks whiney and less than honorable in the public eye. The truth is, as far as I know, X does a lot of stuff for children's cancer and is a wonderful guy. Flo says they love him so take that with a grain of sand but I really think the team would prefer to keep him. I hope it works out that way because we'll never get enough compensation for a disgruntled CB who wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL and is playing on creaky knees. Who's to say he would be as great on one of the worst teams like the Jaguars? The only sure thing here is that he plays super great in our (Flo's) system. #25, stay put!! Ross will pay you whatever you say if you help get him a SB! We are simply a better team with him in the line up, much better!!

Lets reset,, and say X never asked for a reneg and showed for MC. If X has another 10 int season. And at the end of this year when the G money runs out. He asks for a new contract.

All the X haters...your response?
After showing he can stay healthy and another season of that play?

I would have no issues with a renegotiation then. Plus the salary cap will be better as well.

Too soon for me.

I don't hate Howard. However I lost respect for his position when he aired his dirty laundry.

Had he played another season, heck he doesn't need 10 ints, just a top CB season, didn't air his dirty laundry then asked for a renegotiation? Sure let's talk.

At the end of the day, what he did, was tell the whe world Byron Jones doesn't deserve his contract nor does he deserve to be paid like a top CB nor is Jones a top CB.

He didn't just air dirty laundry, he indirectly bashed Jones even though I would agree with him lol.

He deserves as much respect as he gave Jones and his team when he publicly aired his dirty laundry IMO

I don't hate anybody but I do hate this situation. It's too bad that greedy agents get in the ear of their clients and the end result is that the player looks whiney and less than honorable in the public eye. The truth is, as far as I know, X does a lot of stuff for children's cancer and is a wonderful guy. Flo says they love him so take that with a grain of sand but I really think the team would prefer to keep him. I hope it works out that way because we'll never get enough compensation for a disgruntled CB who wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL and is playing on creaky knees. Who's to say he would be as great on one of the worst teams like the Jaguars? The only sure thing here is that he plays super great in our (Flo's) system. #25, stay put!! Ross will pay you whatever you say if you help get him a SB! We are simply a better team with him in the line up, much better!!

That is what I see as the origin of this.

Not even mentioning to bad precedent set for future contract negotiations

I admit I don't know X's demands nor what Miami has offered. If X REALLY just wants to be the highest paid CB on the team (his complaint was BJ signed for more), a little over a million/yr would get it done. Not much on the cap. It appears he wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL. I have no evidence of this, but I can't see a bitter public feud over 1M bucks.

I admit I don't know X's demands nor what Miami has offered. If X REALLY just wants to be the highest paid CB on the team (his complaint was BJ signed for more), a little over a million/yr would get it done. Not much on the cap. It appears he wants to be the highest paid CB in the NFL. I have no evidence of this, but I can't see a bitter public feud over 1M bucks.
Agreed, I don’t think he retained an all star agent to get a quick million. He’s looking to break the bank imo as it’s his last payday and coming from a career year.

Hes chasing the dollar, can’t say I blame him but he has to know he signed a bad contract after a bad year and he ants it changed. I believe he’s done here.

Funny how Miami has concerns with paying good to elite players these days. Obviously X and potentially Gesicki. We were all glad Miami locked up sanders because another team would have definitely overpaid for him if he hit FA. Another team will do the same with Gesicki.

Lol before, Miami couldn’t find any of their own players worth overpaying for and just let them walk. Miami actually has multiple talented players to pay. Miami has come a long way in actually finding top talent for once. Good problems to have.

Seems to me there’s too much bad blood going around. X is gone

The Cowboys just released their veteran CB I heard? Maybe that means they are going for Howard.

Funny how Miami has concerns with paying good to elite players these days. Obviously X and potentially Gesicki. We were all glad Miami locked up sanders because another team would have definitely overpaid for him if he hit FA. Another team will do the same with Gesicki.

Lol before, Miami couldn’t find any of their own players worth overpaying for and just let them walk. Miami actually has multiple talented players to pay. Miami has come a long way in actually finding top talent for once. Good problems to have.

Agree. The down side is Miami, like every good team, can't pay ALL the talented players. They have to prioritize. Although all here LOVE to be armchair GM, the job is exceedingly difficult and complex which is why there are so few good ones. The X soap just complicates it further. I hope X eventually realizes his agent isn't up to the job.

From a business prospective Xavien Howard is simply a risk for any team to take on.

2016: Only 7 games played 0 int.
2017: started 16 games 4 int.
2018: started 12 games 7 int. Pro-bowl.
2019: Only 5 games played. 1 int.
2020: 16 starts 10 int. Pro Bowl

When making any big business decision you use statistics and model projections. Using those and X's history, this year has a high probability he will be injured. It's all a gamble but as a gambler you use mathematical probability. Odds are, X has an injury this or next year.

Rumours: he is seeking 18-20 million to put him on par with the highest paid CBs. The only issue is, X's injury history and lack of consistency is not on par with that of his peers. His asking price has to be a turn-off from a pure business standpoint. I know as someone that runs a business, I wouldn't take the risk as all evidence points to either an injury or an inconsistent year.

I hope we get great value for him but I wouldn't hold my breath. It will take a near perfect situation to receive high trade value for him.

Maybe a solution here is to accelerate some guaranteed money and be done with it.

Miami is trying to compete right now. Igbo is hopefully getting better but turning the reins over to him now would be very risky.

The only way you trade him is with an overpay. If the best offer is two 2’s or some other nonsense, you don’t make the deal.

The other option is, “you’re under contract and we aren’t paying you more.” If you want to sit out the year, have at it. The only thing I wouldn’t do is trade him for anything less than a highly compelling offer. He’s always been an interception machine and it’s not some randomness or luck where a tip falls into his hands. He has a rare burst on the ball, so he will continue to get picks. Maybe not 10 because he won’t get challenged as much, but five or more in his sleep.

3. I think the Dolphins need make an attempt to appease Howard. Howard's gripe is more about guaranteed money, than yearly amount. He's is 20th of all CBs in Gtd money left per year, and with his big 10 INT season it makes sense that he would want to get more security.

Yep. Let the accountants have at it in a way where both side can live with the deal

Call it a performance bonus or something. That way others knew if they produce and reach an all pro level they can get rewarded

Bottom line losing him would be a big step backward and that not the direction we are going

Just my opinion of course and i'm not a GM but i did play one on TV :HAT:

We showed our hand too early by:

1. paying Jones more than Xand he hasn't shown to be 1/2 the CB X has.
2. drafting a CB in the 1st round who couldn't cover a sleeping baby in a crib with a blanket.

I disagree with that philosophy, but now that we are here...I want to see it play out to its illogical conclusion, with all involved parties getting there just due...positive or negative.

Back
Top Bottom