X Trade Offer Super Thread | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

X Trade Offer Super Thread

This.

We don't care, but his salary and demands affect his already limited options.

I think only AZ (and I'm not sure about them) and Cleveland (and they're about to break the bank for Baker) are options.

The Saints aren't. The Cowboys aren't.

And with Cleveland, they already have talented DBs.

But if I'm them, I'd be offering something like 2 second rounders and Greedy Williams.

Flores comes from the BB philosophy of better to lose players a year early than a year late.

The teams that might offer 1st for X can't afford him.
That's the thing. People think that a contender would trade for him but most contenders don't have the cap space because they have many good players with big contracts already. Of course it only takes one team but to think we'll get a bunch of offers is day dreaming.

A couple points, just to.play devils advocate.

X has had about a season and a half of "elite" play out of five, so to assume several more seasons at that level is not only speculative, but given the fact, historically, great corners tend to fall off in terms of performance in their late 20s, is also unlikely. Couple this with his well known injury history, and it seems to me that long term gaurantees are an unwise, and risky proposition.

Also to say our chances of winning a SB are so much better, while true in a theoretical vacuum, are far more nebulous in reality. It completely dismisses development of younger players, cap implications in regards to paying other players and FAs, etc.
Fair enough points and articulated well. He’s had some injuries but he did lead the league in picks 2 of the last 3 years. Personally I’d like to see him finish out his contract in Miami where IMO we locked him up for the right number of years. A lot of CBs have been awesome into their early 30s like Talib for example who helped NE win a SB. Our D runs through the CBs so for me it’s a major step backwards if we lose him seeing as we went out and got Jones to finally have 2 star players / play at those positions. This allowed the D to do more w the other 9 guys on the field and we all saw the results in sacks by committee, creative coverages and looks, and takeaways. I think X was a huge part of that and I think our D is good enough to win a SB right now if they can duplicate their success from last year w some improvement against the run.

That's the thing. People think that a contender would trade for him but most contenders don't have the cap space because they have many good players with big contracts already. Of course it only takes one team but to think we'll get a bunch of offers is day dreaming.
It's incredible, the amount of unrealistic mental masturbation required for some of these expectations.

Teams aren't giving up multiple high draft assets and/or good young players for the opportunity to hand out a huge multiyear, highly gauranteed contract to an aging corner with prior injury history, who once aquired holds all the leverage in negotiations.

If a team traded valuable assets, they would then have no choice but to give him whatever he wants, ala Laremy Tunsil, else the GM would soon find himself unemployed.

Trade Package: The Browns trade 2022 second- and fourth-round draft picks and cornerback Greedy Williams to the Dolphins for Howard.

Trade Package: The Browns trade 2022 second- and fourth-round draft picks and cornerback Greedy Williams to the Dolphins for Howard.

This is just me, but IF Miami were to trade, I doubt they'd trade for a CB.

Interesting take. I don't relate trade value to cost of signing. Here's a funny example (extreme I know)

Jerry Jones: Hey Grier, I want to trade for your Pro Bowl CB who lead the league in ints 2 of rhe last 3 years. But I have to pay him a lot, you know cause he's worth it. So because of that, you have to trade him to me for less.

Can you please fill in Grier's response.

Mine...

Grier: Go F yourself
Cost of a contract absolutely factors into the price of a trade.

We have a good number of draft picks going forward. X is a great cb in our system. We are a team that if a few things fall right that could be in the super bowl picture. We have a front office that is very good at protecting our team with contracts. I think it is a no-brainer to meet x halfway. After what we have done to former free agents nobody views our front office as weak. We have a potentially great defense with x playing, he is the type of player you trade for to get you over the top ,yet we just need to figure a way to pay him for 2 yrs

I think it is a no-brainer to meet x halfway. After what we have done to former free agents nobody views our front office as weak. We have a potentially great defense with x playing, he is the type of player you trade for to get you over the top ,yet we just need to figure a way to pay him for 2 yrs

This is the way to go IMO

We might be seen as giving in on this one, but after how we played Van Noy etc nobody is going to view our front office as pushovers.I want to see our defense with Holland, Phillips, Iggy, Jones and the x man all playing together.

We might be seen as giving in on this one, but after how we played Van Noy etc nobody is going to view our front office as pushovers.I want to see our defense with Holland, Phillips, Iggy, Jones and the x man all playing together.
I think he's gone, but there's no question that we'd be better (in the short term) with him on the team. I just wonder how much would be enough for him, and whether he'd honor this next contract.

I am sure that's the route the front office wants to take but it takes two to tango. He is absolutely a huge risk due to injury history (we all know this) and age that cbs hit the wall at (not there yet but likely sooner than later). Will he take a fair bump? who knows, but I would think the Fins aren't hanging up the phone on his agent.

I do think think they won't rework his contract to crazy numbers that could put up in a cap crisis down the road and also prevent us getting other pieces. I am in the camp that would love to give him a bit more to keep him but if he wants to break the bank then see ya, thanks for the great 2020 season. Can't wait to see how this plays out but I can almost guarantee he won't sit out the season, money is too important. I expect he'll become a bit more vocal as the season progresses.

Adding a few million dollars to his contract so he is the highest-paid CB on our team, that is no unreasonable. It does not put us in cap hell, we are in good shape. Give him an out in 2 yrs at the age of 30 he could get a great contract if still playing at a high level. In 2 yrs we will need to start resigning our young talent so it could work to our advantage

Back
Top Bottom