Xavien Howard Super Thread | Page 102 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Super Thread

Because they can give X what he deserves/wants and stay under the cap.
They can.

They can pay the punter $10M per year if they want.

Problem is, neither of those make sense.

What many are missing on, is the fact that Miami made him the highest paid CB in the league, NOT via free agency, but internally with their own drafted prospect. That is VERY rare for non-QBs. Free agency drives the market for this league, period. The only other top 5 paid CBs still with their original team are Humphrey in Baltimore (25 years old, more money than X, signed 2021 after 2 years relative inflation, and was NOT the top CB contract when signed), and White in Buffalo (26 years old, also signed in 2021, but paid less than X). Both of these CBs are arguably in the same tier as X, and a good bit younger. X, and White were 25 when they signed, Humphrey was 24.

X's problem is he wants prime money into twilight...good luck. He signed a contract without fully understanding the major points...that's on him and his agent, not the Dolphins. He and his new agent should get it fixed, after this season and he's at least lived up to half the contract, his 2021 salary is guaranteed as of March 2021...its just too early.

Sure as hell felt respected when he signed the contract...

Last edited:
In my opinion, more money means increasing the size of his contract. He reportedly didn’t ask for more money. IMO that means that he didn’t ask for more money.
Not going to argue, but would just point out that there is a definite distinction between total money, and gauranteed money.

One is tangible. The other is not.

Either side can be argued depending on agenda.

if another team is willing to pay him a contract that makes him happy, IN ADDITION TO giving up significant assets to acquire him, we should be able to work things out with him.

he is worth more to us than to them (says me!).

So you're prescribing the Dolphins to the Greater Fool Principle, unless the next team the pays him is GREATEST FOOL when there are no other fools to purchase the overpriced item (X).

Yeah, Bill wasn't big on "safe spaces" or politically correctness.

He could be hilarious at times though......
I loved Bill's press conferences.

So you're prescribing the Dolphins to the Greater Fool Principle, unless the next team the pays him is GREATEST FOOL when there are no other fools to purchase the overpriced item (X).
It doesn't look like any other team will pay him the contract he wants plus compensate us adequately in trade (which is as I suspected), so it's a moot point.

I would like to figure out a way to keep the player that everyone can live with.

It doesn't look like any other team will pay him the contract he wants plus compensate us adequately in trade (which is as I suspected), so it's a moot point.

I would like to figure out a way to keep the player HAPPY that everyone can live with.
Fixed it for you.

We can keep the player if we want. That's not even in question at this point.

I'm not sure there's a path that includes everybody happy when all is said and done.

Maybe nobody happy is the best outcome in the end.

I would like to figure out a way to keep the player that everyone can live with.
Unfortunately that makes us de facto the greater fool already, which brings us to the sunk cost fallacy......

Fixed it for you.

I'm not sure there's a path that includes everybody happy when all is said and done.

Don't disagree, but, as most of us admit, X has boxed himself in. Seems like making X happy involves a little face-saving. I don't know what that could be, but any little 'win' they can give him will allow him to save face and be happIER.

Fixed it for you.

Not shooting for happy.

Shooting for something everybody can live with.

Don't disagree, but, as most of us admit, X has boxed himself in. Seems like making X happy involves a little face-saving. I don't know what that could be, but any little 'win' they can give him will allow him to save face and be happIER.
Excellent point about the "face saving" aspect.

Is it possible that was the game being played by Grier, to keep costs at a minimum, all along? It wouldn't surprise me. If true, Pretty masterful handing.

Back
Top Bottom