Xavien Howard Super Thread | Page 104 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Xavien Howard Super Thread

So every player every year can pull this crap.
I'll ask you this question. If the Dolphins decide his contract is over at the end of this season what does X get out of the deal he signed? Sure, he's a FA but if he suffers a bad injury that means nothing. It's not like the team can't "renegotiate" the deal at any time, why such disdain for a player that sees he has nothing on the horizon if things go poorly?

Do I wish X would just shut up and play? Yes. Do I blame him for wanting more when he's a premier player in the league with nothing guaranteed? No. I'm pretty sure if you were in his position you might try to leverage it as well.

I'll ask you this question. If the Dolphins decide his contract is over at the end of this season what does X get out of the deal he signed? Sure, he's a FA but if he suffers a bad injury that means nothing. It's not like the team can't "renegotiate" the deal at any time, why such disdain for a player that sees he has nothing on the horizon if things go poorly?

Do I wish X would just shut up and play? Yes. Do I blame him for wanting more when he's a premier player in the league with nothing guaranteed? No. I'm pretty sure if you were in his position you might try to leverage it as well.
If he suffers a bad injury, how does he deserve prime money into the future? He's guaranteed full salary for 2021...so he should also have guaranteed 2022/2023 money (when he'll be 30+ years old) in the event of a bad injury? No team's going to give him a fat contract in 2022+ if he suffers a bad injury in 2021, and if he DID suffer said injury in 2022/2023 as a Dolphin, Miami will have screwed their cap for 0 return. He signed for a set amount of guaranteed money 2 short years ago (1 year into the extension so far). As of this season, he's gotten 100% of that guaranteed money. It's not incumbent upon the Dolphins to make up for a mistake his agent and he made...not very fiscally sound.

His claim was that he never asked for a totally new contract...so that basically just leaves guaranteed salary and/or incentives.

Miami's gambling on his 2021 (in guarantees)...he's gambling on his 2021 (staying healthy)...if he balls out and basically repeats 2020, he'll have all the leverage he needs to get paid (probably by another team after being cut). He just really seems like he's trying to guarantee future prime money even if he doesn't live up to it. He's trying to put all the risk on the Dolphins...and it seems like they're not willing to assume it.

I don't understand him wanting more to the point he's willing to cause problems, TBH. He signed the #1 CB contract, and has played close to that level for a portion of that contract. Byron getting paid a little bit more is just the nature of the sport's free agency economics. He knows that, and his ego is choosing not to accept it. He knows he's likely a free agent come 2022, and worried that an injury will prevent a fat ass payday. Don't all players run that risk? He expects Ferrari compensation even if he's bringing Smart Car returns. I fail to see how he has earned it.

Maybe he should call Lloyd's of London.

And no if I was in his position I wouldn't try to leverage it as well...he has zero leverage.

Last edited:
If he suffers a bad injury, how does he deserve prime money into the future? He's guaranteed full salary for 2021...so he should also have guaranteed 2022/2023 money (when he'll be 30+ years old) in the event of a bad injury? No team's going to give him a fat contract in 2022+ if he suffers a bad injury in 2021, and if he DID suffer said injury in 2022/2023 as a Dolphin, Miami will have screwed their cap for 0 return. He signed for a set amount of guaranteed money 2 short years ago (1 year into the extension so far). As of this season, he's gotten 100% of that guaranteed money. It's not incumbent upon the Dolphins to make up for a mistake his agent and he made...not very fiscally sound.

His claim was that he never asked for a totally new contract...so that basically just leaves guaranteed salary and/or incentives.

Miami's gambling on his 2021 (in guarantees)...he's gambling on his 2021 (staying healthy)...if he balls out and basically repeats 2020, he'll have all the leverage he needs to get paid (probably by another team after being cut). He just really seems like he's trying to guarantee future prime money even if he doesn't live up to it. He's trying to put all the risk on the Dolphins...and it seems like they're not willing to assume it.

I don't understand him wanting more to the point he's willing to cause problems, TBH. He signed the #1 CB contract, and has played close to that level for a portion of that contract. Byron getting paid a little bit more is just the nature of the sport's free agency economics. He knows that, and his ego is choosing not to accept it. He knows he's likely a free agent come 2022, and worried that an injury will prevent a fat *** payday. Don't all players run that risk? He expects Ferrari compensation even if he's bringing Smart Car returns. I fail to see how he has earned it.

Maybe he should call Lloyd's of London.

And no if I was in his position I wouldn't try to leverage it as well...he has zero leverage.
That's all well and dandy that you wouldn't leverage it, I would and I don't consider myself greedy. I know i'm playing a sport where a career ending injury can happen on any play during any game or practice. I also know that i'm amongst the best players in the league yet my contract barely reflects that this season, let alone beyond it.

As a player, i'd feel undervalued.

Again, i'm not saying they should back up the truck and i'd much rather Howard just play for a better deal for 1 more season but I can certainly understand where he's coming from. I don't think he's a bad guy here, despite the fact he just signed a new deal 2 years ago. In essence, the way his deal was structured it was a "show me" deal and in all honesty he's shown it.

That's all well and dandy that you wouldn't leverage it, I would and I don't consider myself greedy. I know i'm playing a sport where a career ending injury can happen on any play during any game or practice. I also know that i'm amongst the best players in the league yet my contract barely reflects that this season, let alone beyond it.

As a player, i'd feel undervalued.

Again, i'm not saying they should back up the truck and i'd much rather Howard just play for a better deal for 1 more season but I can certainly understand where he's coming from. I don't think he's a bad guy here, despite the fact he just signed a new deal 2 years ago. In essence, the way his deal was structured it was a "show me" deal and in all honesty he's shown it.
So he should show it through the guarantees and re-visit. A lot of that basis you mentioned is found through X goggles. Bottom line: the Dolphins proved they valued him making him the highest paid. So what leverage does he have?

So he should show it through the guarantees and re-visit. A lot of that basis you mentioned is found through X goggles. Bottom line: the Dolphins proved they valued him making him the highest paid. So what leverage does he have?
He has no leverage, or very little. I guess he could sit out which makes him get paid even less. That's not the point.

We're talking about one of the NFL's premiere players not having any guaranteed money beyond this season. If he gets injured, he has nothing. I'm pretty sure that's his point and I can certainly see it.

Igbo has played CB for what, 2 1/2 years of his entire career? Let him adjust. Ideally he'll be the slot CB behind X & Byron. Ideal learning spot.

Back
Top Bottom