Your back up QB wishlist for next year? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Your back up QB wishlist for next year?

My wishlist.
1. Gardner Minshew.
2. Drew Locke
3. Baker Mayfield (πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚).

Either of the top 2 there would be perfect. What we need most of all is someone more similar to Tua's skill set than Brissett is. Apart from Jacoby being absolute garbage, he's a complete opposite in many ways to Tua and therefore any offense you build around Tua is never going to work with him.

Teddy B's ranked higher than Tua according to the Pats Fan that wrote this on NFL.com. Tua actually went down this week according to this clown.

I was sure the reason why Tua went down would be because other players around him increased their rankings. Not true. I think all but one of the next six QBs in that list went down spots. How do you say he does a good job but gets down-ranked?

I prefer my backup QB to either be a gunslinger or a game manager that lets the rest of the team grind out the win. Nothing in-between

So maybe Fitzpatrick or Taylor, though Fitz won't come back.

I'd say a drafted QB
Last I read, his career is probably over.

Mariota and Minshew aren't signing anywhere to be a straight backup. They are going places they have a chance to start.

Mariota I believe wanted out this past offseason but the Raiders wouldn't let it happen.

Teddy B's ranked higher than Tua according to the Pats Fan that wrote this on NFL.com. Tua actually went down this week according to this clown.

How the **** can someone that threw 6 INTs in the last 4 games be #1? Ludacris.

I'm understanding the disparity between your post count and reaction score from those concepts. Backup QB is often the second most important player on the team especially with the injury history Tua has. Go tell the Saints how a backup doesn't matter besides being a security blanket. Totally ridiculous.

The Saints are a fantastic example of taking this whole concept to a new level of absurdity. Why not pay your backup QB somewhere between 12 and 24 mil a year? After all he was almost good enough to compete with a couple of mediocre starters. That's what happens when you let your coach dictate personnel moves. You get the whole security blanket concept taken to another stratosphere.

I would argue that there is very little difference in where this Phins team would be with the league's best or worst backup QB. Perhaps they would have won a game and put themselves in a better position to make the playoffs. Does that really change the overall trajectory of this team this season? Except in some very rare cases, one which Dolphin fans are very familiar with, you aren't contending once your starter goes down. And if you need that backup to win games in the starter's absence you weren't contending in the first place.

The Pats were always lauded for their great development program, churning out all these starting caliber QBs as they learned behind Brady. And to their credit they do have a tremendous success rate and manage to find a competent starter about half the time. At the same time you have to ask what was the point of it all from the team's perspective? What did they gain from spending all this draft capital and investing all this time in these prospects?

The Saints are a fantastic example of taking this whole concept to a new level of absurdity. Why not pay your backup QB somewhere between 12 and 24 mil a year? After all he was almost good enough to compete with a couple of mediocre starters. That's what happens when you let your coach dictate personnel moves. You get the whole security blanket concept taken to another stratosphere.

I would argue that there is very little difference in where this Phins team would be with the league's best or worst backup QB. Perhaps they would have won a game and put themselves in a better position to make the playoffs. Does that really change the overall trajectory of this team this season? Except in some very rare cases, one which Dolphin fans are very familiar with, you aren't contending once your starter goes down. And if you need that backup to win games in the starter's absence you weren't contending in the first place.

The Pats were always lauded for their great development program, churning out all these starting caliber QBs as they learned behind Brady. And to their credit they do have a tremendous success rate and manage to find a competent starter about half the time. At the same time you have to ask what was the point of it all from the team's perspective? What did they gain from spending all this draft capital and investing all this time in these prospects?

I have to laugh because you point out with a better backup we might have won a game or two and been in better playoff position, then ask if that is better for the trajectory of the season?

Um...yes? The point of a season is to make the playoffs. Winning 1 or 2 more games is incredibly valuable.

I think Mariota would be the PERFECT back-up to Tua. Extremely similar skill set. Obviously, Tua is better than Mariota in every aspect with the exception of running the ball but if we had to go to a back-up due to injury, I don’t think they’d have to make any special adjustments if Marcus had to start a stretch of games.

The absurdity of your argument is limitless. So Tua went down and with a better backup than Brisett, we would have done the same? That's sheer lunacy.

Back
Top Bottom