You’re on the clock and another GM calls you... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

You’re on the clock and another GM calls you...

It's hard to argue with balance, but balance means different things to different people. Do you mean an even distribution of resources? That'd be like saying you have a balanced diet, because you eat as many candy bars as vegetables.
Not so much evenly distributed, as determining the areas of needs that are imperative. In this case, I would say O-line, and edge defender are the primary concerns. Once those are addressed, concentrating on a single area is certainly a reasonable option.

As to the candy bar analogy, I agree. That would be paramount to drafting WRs, or RBs with our top picks, as some have actually suggested. They want the exiting "sweets", but don't want to eat their asparagus, which is actually good for them in the long run.

Not so much evenly distributed, as determining the areas of needs that are imperative. In this case, I would say O-line, and edge defender are the primary concerns. Once those are addressed, concentrating on a single area is certainly a reasonable option.

As to the candy bar analogy, I agree. That would be paramount to drafting WRs, or RBs with our top picks, as some have actually suggested. They want the exiting "sweets", but don't want to eat their asparagus, which is actually good for them in the long run.

Except not really. In terms of talent acquisition, two things help your QB and passing game - pass protection and receiving targets. The former is more important on a basic level, and the latter is more important to high-end outcomes.

Conflating RB and WR is really weird btw.

We'd have to LOVE a qb in the mid 1st.

Right? Who would be the next tier below Tua/Burrow and a much smaller chance of becoming our franchise QB. Dolphin fans have watched this team neglect the QB position for so long, they’ve begun to internalize the process.

I assume what you really mean is no Tua?

Personnaly, I'd rather not gamble the Phin's future on an Injury prone best case, never the same worst case proposition.

You assume wrong. I’d be happy with Tua or Burrow. The Miami Dolphins need a top tier QB. The fact that you keep behaving as if it is not the most important position on the field makes it really hard to take your posts seriously.

Except not really. In terms of talent acquisition, two things help your QB and passing game - pass protection and receiving targets. The former is more important on a basic level, and the latter is more important to high-end outcomes.

Conflating RB and WR is really weird btw.
I wasn't conflating the two. The reasons I have for placing a lower priority on each are not the same. It just happens that I believe both are secondary, if not tertiary needs.

You assume wrong. I’d be happy with Tua or Burrow. The Miami Dolphins need a top tier QB. The fact that you keep behaving as if it is not the most important position on the field makes it really hard to take your posts seriously.
You assume wrong, as well. I do believe QB is the most important single position. I would love to have a shot at Burrow, I just don't think it is realistically possible.

I also don't hate Tua. He was a great college QB. It's possible that he goes on to have a good NFL career. I just don't believe it is likely. It is true, I wasn't high on him before the injury, as I prefer QBs of a more typical prototype size, and now I don't think it is unfair to hang the "injury prone" label as well.

I understand some will point to Russel Wilson, or Drew Brees as examples of successful guys, who happen to be smaller(ish), but they are outliers. Exceptions to the general rule.

Guys and Gals, what do you all think was the weakest links on our team? That's how they should approach it fix their needs and weaknesses needs to be addressed quickly in this draft and try to get all you need.

To all of us #1 priority is offensive line they must draft pure STARTERS who are monsters and people movers NASTY SOB's. Who in this draft will be a day one STARTER and a monster? Those are your targets to fill those weak links.

#2. Yes, QB needs to be addressed for the future so don't just don't get 1 get 2. Tagovailoa or whoever they are targeting and a later round QB (Dalton Sneed or whoever make sense in Round 5 or 6)

#3 Defensive line and Defensive Ends they must get at least 2 or 3 EDGE rushers and true Nose Guard to compliment Godchaux that was a weak link in stopping the run. So try to fix it. With a Vince Wilfork type.

#4 Get 1 LB who cover TE's and RB's out of the back field. That was weak fix it.

#5. With the discipline coming to X you need to draft a shut-down CB. This was not weak in my opinion. But, has become weak to due his idiotness. Fix it.

#6. Get two Safeties (FREE and SECONDARY) This was solid in my opinion as well. But, Jones may not be here so fix if he leaves with a ball hawker.

#7. Get 2 RB's. We know for a fact this was extremely weak even with a crappy OL. Sometimes RB's need to make their own plays. So get two. Fix it. Jonathan Taylor and Dobbins would fix it.

Drafts are crap-shoots 50/50 (BANG or BUST) no one ever knows what they will be till we see them play in the NFL and if they have the IT factor. We must hit on 10 of the 14.

Guys and Gals, what do you all think was the weakest links on our team? That's how they should approach it fix their needs and weaknesses needs to be addressed quickly in this draft and try to get all you need.

To all of us #1 priority is offensive line they must draft pure STARTERS who are monsters and people movers NASTY SOB's. Who in this draft will be a day one STARTER and a monster? Those are your targets to fill those weak links.

#2. Yes, QB needs to be addressed for the future so don't just don't get 1 get 2. Tagovailoa or whoever they are targeting and a later round QB (Dalton Sneed or whoever make sense in Round 5 or 6)

#3 Defensive line and Defensive Ends they must get at least 2 or 3 EDGE rushers and true Nose Guard to compliment Godchaux that was a weak link in stopping the run. So try to fix it. With a Vince Wilfork type.

#4 Get 1 LB who cover TE's and RB's out of the back field. That was weak fix it.

#5. With the discipline coming to X you need to draft a shut-down CB. This was not weak in my opinion. But, has become weak to due his idiotness. Fix it.

#6. Get two Safeties (FREE and SECONDARY) This was solid in my opinion as well. But, Jones may not be here so fix if he leaves with a ball hawker.

#7. Get 2 RB's. We know for a fact this was extremely weak even with a crappy OL. Sometimes RB's need to make their own plays. So get two. Fix it. Jonathan Taylor and Dobbins would fix it.

Drafts are crap-shoots 50/50 (BANG or BUST) no one ever knows what they will be till we see them play in the NFL and if they have the IT factor. We must hit on 10 of the 14.

Everywhere was the weakest link. Miami should attack positions of value, and they should do it in an order that makes sense - QB, OL, and WR/TE will determine whether Miami is competing for the next decade. The D will fluctuate over that period - with or without an offense to put it in contention.

That doesn't mean you have to only draft offense in RD 1. If you have a CB or DE rated higher than the best offensive players available, then go ahead and look at WR in the 2nd. All that depends on projections and tiers. It does mean that your #1 priority, with #2 far off in the distance, should be to find your QB and field and offense where he can thrive. CB's and DE's can be core players for the future, but until Miami addresses its #1 priority, there is no future.

You assume wrong, as well. I do believe QB is the most important single position. I would love to have a shot at Burrow, I just don't think it is realistically possible.

I also don't hate Tua. He was a great college QB. It's possible that he goes on to have a good NFL career. I just don't believe it is likely. It is true, I wasn't high on him before the injury, as I prefer QBs of a more typical prototype size, and now I don't think it is unfair to hang the "injury prone" label as well.

I understand some will point to Russel Wilson, or Drew Brees as examples of successful guys, who happen to be smaller(ish), but they are outliers. Exceptions to the general rule.

Whatever you say, man. You have an agenda and we all see it.

I don’t think there will be as much buzz/chatter about an upcoming draft for the Dolphins for hopefully many years.

It seems our attentions have been on the draft since week 1. It feels soooooooo far away and we haven’t even concluded the play offs yet.

Biggest draft in Dolphins history?

Whatever you say, man. You have an agenda and we all see it.
I would like to think we all have the same agenda, which is to see the Dolphins be perennial contenders, with the possibility of winning a championship sooner rather than later.

There are differing opinions on how to accomplish that. It's not personal, unless one chooses to make it that way.

I'd ask for more because the spot is worth more ... not because I want to invest our most precious resource in an injury-prone QB.

Ryan Tannehill is playing ahead of a recent Heisman winner drafted in the top 5. So, lotsa lemons early in 1st Rnd.
We need a guy with 'It factor' (poise, competitive fire, motivates teamates, etc). Who are those guys in this year's draft?

Ryan Tannehill is playing ahead of a recent Heisman winner drafted in the top 5. So, lotsa lemons early in 1st Rnd.
We need a guy with 'It factor' (poise, competitive fire, motivates teamates, etc). Who are those guys in this year's draft?
Wasn't RT taken at #8? Heisman is almost meaningless as it relates to QB success in the NFL.

Just sayin...........

Back
Top Bottom