Zim’s Grades Week 4 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades Week 4

Strongly disagree with a lot of these grades. Too many fans expecting this team to be so much further along than what they should be, especially with no mini camp or preseason. Also we still lack talent at a lot of positions. These guys play hard, with effort, and are improving. This young team will get better, fans need to be patient for a change.

The team folds and is soft. Management tries to be cute picking no name draft picks. Name one back on our team better than Jonathan Taylor I never heard of Igby.

I loved Taylor at Wisconsin. Igbinoghene was pretty well known if you watch the SEC. He was pretty much 100% guaranteed to be drafted early day 2. Heck, he wasn’t even as much of a reach as the Raiders taking Damon Arnette 19th overall.

Iggy's problem has been blown assignments not his coverage. When he's been in coverage he's been pretty good, especially against Jacksonville. But he, just blows, too many assignments. If he corrects that issue, he'll be fine.
I think it’s fairly obvious that every CB in the NFL is effective when they do what they are expected to do in coverage. If they couldn’t cover a receiver when they do their job properly they wouldn’t be playing in the NFL to begin with. The issue with Iggy is he just seems completely lost at times on the field. Whether this is poor coaching or just the fact he doesn’t have the experience playing defense is unknown at this time.

He is a rookie who was a project coming out of college. He should have never been a first round pick but since he was it appears the coaching staff feel obligated to play him. If he had been selected in the 3rd or 4th round, I doubt he would be playing much at this time. I hope he develops into the player they thought he could become but it will not surprise me if he ends up being another Dolphin who was drafted much higher than he should have been. At this point I won’t be surprised if the Dolphins draft two or three defensive backs in the 2021 draft.

This was a winnable game. Very winnable. But we found a way to sink to 1-3. Here comes the grades:

QB - F: Fitz was lucky to not have thrown 6 interceptions today. The 2 he did throw were costly. He has to be better than that. The calls for Tua to start are going to get a lot louder.

RB’s - C -: Not a horrible day for these guys. Brieda looked good on limited carries. Gaskin played well today. They could have used some better blocking. So they get an average grade.

OL - C -: Another C- here. They gave up a few pressures. But overall they were passable. The run blocking was OK. I love Kindley. That guy was a find.

TE’s - C: Decent game by Gesicki when his number was called. Smythe was decent. The blocking from this group needs to improve.

WR’s - C: If it wasn’t for Parker this would be a D. Fitz wasn’t great today...So it hurts their Grade. A few costly drops and not a ton of separation. This grade is because of Parker.

DL - F -: This unit is PUTRID. They can’t rush the passer. They can’t stop the run. Horrible day for this group. Although, there were sightings of Lawson and Ogbah for like 2 seconds. This group SUCKS.

LB’s- D -: I guess it’s hard to find the ball when the opposing OL doesn’t have to block your DL because they’re so bad. But did any of these guys do anything today? This is not a good unit.

DB’s - F: Is there anyone out there that thinks Igbanana was a good first round pick? Anyone? He looks lost. I know it’s only 4 games into his career.....but he sucks right now. Terrible game from him. X had a pick but was average at best. The safety play is below average as well. I gotta ask.... What the hell did Grier spend all that money on? We’re actually way worse than last year.

ST’s- B +: Great Game from Sanders. Haak held great on all the ****ing field goals. Coverage had a small breakdown.

Coaching and Front Office- F: why on 3rd and 3 in the red zone would you go empty backfield? Why? At least give the impression of the possibility of a run. We need to start blitzing like crazy. We are getting zero pressure on the opposing QB. I still see no sign of any great strategy going into game. As for Grier...Nice 1st round pick of Igbanana. He’s terrible. What did you spend all the money on? Surely not our defense.

5 wins maybe 6 this year. I don’t think we get any more than that.
What is wrong w Jordan Howard that he has 1 yard per carry and hardly gets on the field?

What is wrong w Jordan Howard that he has 1 yard per carry and hardly gets on the field?

My guess...

He doesn't really fit into what our offense is doing. Since we don't line up in power formations very often, he (in my opinion) was our only bad signing.

My guess...

He doesn't really fit into what our offense is doing. Since we don't line up in power formations very often, he (in my opinion) was our only bad signing.
All of the signings on defense were bad. Which free agent signing is playing well? This may be the worst defense I have ever seen in Miami. They were getting more production from off the street free agents last season. The offensive line signings are playing okay though.

Other than he's slow, offers nothing in the passing game , and is overpaid? Nothing is wrong with him.
Thank goodness Gaskin has stepped up and shown he can be a running back in the pros. If I'm the dolphins I cut my losses and go search free agency for someone

That was a tremendous opening sentence. I was hoping someone would emphasize that theme. The Seahawks figured to be lethargic today and they were. It was anything but a high energy situational spot for them. They weren't going to maximize opportunities in that scenario, as a 3-0 team that frankly isn't very good, and on the road traveling to the East Coast.

Sure enough, Seattle had big drops in the first half from Metcalf and Lockett. They had multiple dropped interceptions. Yet we never had the lead and didn't come close to putting up the type of fight that was warranted, given the vulnerability of the opponent.

Winnable means situation, and not how the game unfolded.

Overall I would say it was the most disappointing effort of the Flores era so far. That defense doesn't hold anybody to field goals but we found a way. I didn't understand the failure to challenge the illegal forward pass call. The Dolphins for half a decade or more have been sharp in using challenges wisely. Then it was ridiculous not to go for the first down while down 17-12. I could understand it at 17-13. But not when a field goal still leaves you more than a full score behind, if Seattle answers with a touchdown.

Seattle hadn't put up a point in the second half to that point. That's why the head coach has to understand logical distribution, that a followup Seahawk touchdown was far more likely than you dared to believe.

I can't think of positives today. I spent most of the time watching Jerome Baker. Gad, does he have weaknesses that aren't fully obvious unless you focus on him. Send it in Jerome. Actually it's where are you going Jerome?

Seattle matched up better with Gesicki than I expected. I think that accounted for some of our failures in the red zone. I don't think the Dolphin coaching staff anticipated it either. Normally more things will open up given the problems Gesicki does cause down there, even if I'd still prefer a full fledged tight end.

Seattle also has a smart coaching staff that took away just enough of Fitzpatrick's line drive windows, especially when it mattered

This has to be one of the best posts I’ve read all year. Bar none. You said it far better than I ever could.

All of the signings on defense were bad. Which free agent signing is playing well? This may be the worst defense I have ever seen in Miami. They were getting more production from off the street free agents last season. The offensive line signings are playing okay though.

Sorry to wreck your narrative, but Ogbah played very well today.

Im not sure you guys appreciate how steep the learning curve is for a cornerback, especially one that was thrust into action without any preseason games at all.

Bingo... he will improve as he matures... also, he's very young. 21 I believe.

Sorry to wreck your narrative, but Ogbah played very well today.
What did he do that he played so well? He had a sack? Big deal. How often does he apply pressure? How well has he or anyone else on this defense played this season. This front seven is as bad as any front seven Miami has ever put on the field in a very long time. Combine that with a rookie conerback who is struggling and you have a complete mess.

Back
Top Bottom