2012 dolphin 1st round pick is in. its official. spoiler alert | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2012 dolphin 1st round pick is in. its official. spoiler alert

:lol: Just remember Aaron sat 3 years behind Brett Favre with no pressure at all. There will be pressure from day 1 for Tannehill to push for a starting role down here and clearly it would be great if we can get Ryan to sit for a year. Aaron went in the 20's and was 3 years younger also. Tannehill's value probably resides in that area, maybe a little further down but the need for a QB makes him a viable selection at 8.

Saying he is the next Aaron Rodgers is just trying to build a buzz around a bunch of miserable fans who are hungry for a Super Bowl and are fiending for a Marino replacement. It isn't fair to put him in the category of an Aaron Rodgers right now.

That being said, I'd gamble on him with Philbin/Sherman as the coaches . . . would totally be against it if the combo was Sparano/Henning.

I agree it's setting the guy up for a huge fall. And if you watched him play a bit last year (and I watched a lot of his games) you'll know just how far he is away from starting in the NFL. He might get there someday, but it's not going to be any time soon, and that might be too slow for this team which needs an injection of excitement and hope.

Even if Tannehill doesn't end up a franchise QB, if you have any thoughts right now that he "can" be one you pull the trigger . . . you pull the trigger every year within reason until you know you have one.

I agree 150%, this kid has tremendous upside, strong arm, good accuracy, can throw on the run, ran a 4.58/40, he was a WR and in only 19 starts turned himself into a QB and learned a pro-style WC offense, that shows he is a one hell of a worker and is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed and he can adapt, is he raw? hell yea he is, but in a year or 2 this kid is gonna be a straight beast and I'm willing to pull the trigger instead of playing it safe again on kirk cousins or weeden.

One thing I will say is I was wrong with a post I wrote about Tannehill's pocket awareness and feel in the pocket, as this signifies 50% of my grade on a QB.

Every good QB had terrific feel in the pocket like its 2nd nature. From Favre to Rodgers to Elway to Manning to Marino to Brees.. you name it, they all had it. What happens before you throw the ball is just as important as when and how you throw it.

Admittedly I rarely paid attention to Texas A&M last year. Remember only watching one game, and in that game Tanny looked poor in the pocket. Obviously he just had a bad week because as I've caught up and watched alot more footage over the past week,.. I've concluded that his pocket feel and awareness is not only adequate, but it is ideal and quite good.

He is nothing like Gabbert who is god awful in the pocket. John Beck and Chad Henne, both horrid in the pocket and you saw the results. QB's who come out of college with no feel and instincts in the pocket never make it. This criteria and attribute should automatically be 50% of anyone's grade on a QB. And it's why Osweiler will never amount to jack diddly in the NFL. He would be a total waste of a pick

I'm not high at all on Tannehill. He's not even a top 2 or 3 round pick in my view. The only solace I see in picking at #8 is at least the FO is going Skill position for a change. Trading up for him to any spot is completely ludicrous, picking him at #8 is bordering on stupidity.
If you don't think he's at least a day 2 pick you have no idea what you're watching

As much as some of us would like to see aggressive drafts, history tells us Ireland/Parcells style drafting is about minimizing risk and maximizing value.

Posted in various places over the net:

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
  2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
  3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
  4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.
Look at the QBs Ireland has drafted or been associated with while here: Chad Henne and Pat White.

Ryan Tannehill doesn't even come close. Matt Flynn had strong connections to Philbin and we had intimate knowledge of him. Yet the Phins didn't blink when it came to their belief of a fair contract. Tannehill has strong and obvious connections to Sherman. Again, we have intimate knowledge of him. And I don't think we'll draft him any higher than we grade him out. And while I'm sure Sherman has high praise for the kid, it comes down to value and risk. There is a tiny body of work for anyone to judge Tannehill. And I personally believe, our interest in Tannehill is merely a smokescreen. It's a strategical gift horse. We can use it to manipulate the value of our 8th pick.

I think most of the fans are going to be disappointed yet again. I believe the pick is going to be defense or a lineman. And our sexy draft history will continue to be alive and well.

IMO, Clev trading down or KC moving up to 6 or 7 are the biggest obsticles facing Ireland if the pick is to be Tannehill. If Kalil and Blackmon are gone, I think STL may move their pick. Which means that we may have to give up one of our 3rds to move up and get Tannehill at 6. If STL stays at 6, it will probably cost us something like a 4th and 6th to move up one spot with Jack.

ehhh...i been sayin he's the guy if not flynn since before free agency...hard to believe if kc wants tannehill they wouldn't trump our 3rd round pick offer...that said moving to #7 to make sure jax doesn't trade out to someone who wants tanny makes sense...

all you guys who think this is goin a different way if tannys there need to wake up and smell the coffee...

ehhh...i been sayin he's the guy if not flynn since before free agency...hard to believe if kc wants tannehill they wouldn't trump our 3rd round pick offer...that said moving to #7 to make sure jax doesn't trade out to someone who wants tanny makes sense...

all you guys who think this is goin a different way if tannys there need to wake up and smell the coffee...

Does his tendency to lock in to receivers worry you or do you think he can be coached out of it. Henne couldn't but tanny didn't have games put in that Henne did

I've had Tannehill going to the Skins before they traded out, so I've never really considered him an option for Miami until that trade. Question is, do the Browns like Tannehill enough to take him over TRich . . . we know they would have taken RGIII over him? They do have McCoy in their back pocket who shows promise but isn't consistent. I dunno, I think after losing HIllis the Browns can't pass up on TRich and they build their skill positions with those first 3 picks and swing next year at QB if they have to.

Tannehill should be there for Miami w/o trading up, remember Pioli is with KC . . . he doesn't have a track record of taking QB's early at all.

Does his tendency to lock in to receivers worry you or do you think he can be coached out of it. Henne couldn't but tanny didn't have games put in that Henne did

sure it does...but their gonna say with more film study and time under center in a pro setting that he'll ween off of it...this aaron rodgers stuff to me is a bit obnoxious...quite obnoxious...rodgers throws one of the best deep balls in pro football if not the best...tannehill hasn't shown he can throw it in the same zip code...rodgers had better ball placement also...

fellas cleveland barring trading out to #6 with st louis is taking richardson...i guarandamntee it...i think they want rich so bad they won't trade period and take the chance the bucs take him at #5...

here's the only thing about richardson...i read reports he ran b/t 4.45 and 4.49 if thats accurate lock it up he's going to cleveland at #4...that dude was rediculous in drills etc yesterday...but i also read stuff that said 4.62...now that # can get you out of the top 5...

thats the only thing i wonder about...where does cleveland have his timed speed at...

Back
Top Bottom