2015 NFL Rookie updates: | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 NFL Rookie updates:

Starting to see some of Abdullah's limitations. He's super quick, but he doesn't consistently break arm tackles, and I think that will limit his upside.

R. Greene looked really good in the slot last night. Not seeing it with Yeldon. Overdrafted in the 2nd.

Not seeing anything wrong with Abdullah tbh, behind that line, and with a fullback, he's going to eat, and we haven't even seen him coming out of the backfield much, which will be a huge part of his game.

Yeldon is going to Be asked to block quite a bit IMO which is why I think he was over drafted. DET gave jags oline a bit of trouble, without blitzing and without there 2 best pass rushers.

That undrafted RB Zenner has looked like the biggest steal of the undrafted guys by far. Kid is a baller, wish we found him.

Duke Johnson is every bit as soft as I predicted he Would be in the NFL. He looks like a Kadeem Carey clone, way over drafted.

Duke Johnson is every bit as soft as I predicted he Would be in the NFL. He looks like a Kadeem Carey clone, way over drafted.

It's early for him, I think this was his first game due to prior injuries.

Starting to see some of Abdullah's limitations. He's super quick, but he doesn't consistently break arm tackles, and I think that will limit his upside.

R. Greene looked really good in the slot last night. Not seeing it with Yeldon. Overdrafted in the 2nd.

I find it funny how the one Bama back who most experts were meh towards is the best one in the NFL (Lacy). Not that he wasn't liked (as many thought he was a first rounder) but he didn't get near the hype of Ingram or Richardson, and a lot felt Yeldon was better (and Henry is gonna get a lot of hype this year)

Jake Fisher can't even break the starting lineup and has been a disappointment. I know a lot of people here wanted him, he looked very average to me.

Brett Hundley looked great overall against the Eagles. There were a few times when you could see that he didn't know quite what to do, but he did a good job of navigating the pocket in those instances and buying enough time for himself to make a play. Outside of the pick-6, you really couldn't ask for more out of a rookie QB. Looked like a 1st RD talent.

I was happy with Jordan Phillips overall. He really does move well for a guy his size, and when he wants to, he can collapse the entire side of a line.

Didn't see much from Beasley, but I've only watched the game once, and I was focusing on Miami for obvious reasons.

Mike Hull made some nice plays and even got off some blocks (hoops).

Randy Gregory pushed Matt Khalil into the QB's lap with regularity. As his college tape showed, he excels at reaching the OL before the OL reaches him, and from there, his agility and instincts take over. He always seems to make the right play. There was a play action pass late in the 2nd QTR, where Gregory had contain and was reading the TE (rather than bursting up field). As soon as he read pass, he shoved the TE into the QB's lap.

Eric Kendricks made some nice plays, including a 3rd down tackle, where he took away a crossing route at the sticks then peeled off to the flat. He did have a hold on ST's.

I didn't watch last nights game, how did Lippett, Gerrell, and Vigil look?

All the ppl who pointed to Melvin Gordons vision problems were right, I didn't see that as big as an issue as it seems to be.

I find it funny how the one Bama back who most experts were meh towards is the best one in the NFL (Lacy). Not that he wasn't liked (as many thought he was a first rounder) but he didn't get near the hype of Ingram or Richardson, and a lot felt Yeldon was better (and Henry is gonna get a lot of hype this year)

I was never big on TJ Yeldon coming out of college... had a down arrow on him.

I agree Zack Zenner is looking good, especially after this past preseason game. I hope he hits up that roster, he could be seeing some game time with Bell issues.

Abdullah I agree seeing his limitations. He might be a hit or miss RB, big plays to nothing. He doesnt have the strength.

Tyler Varga finally punched one in for Indy... but has been said to be having a solid training camp and all... looking good there!!!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I didn't watch last nights game, how did Lippett, Gerrell, and Vigil look?

All the ppl who pointed to Melvin Gordons vision problems were right, I didn't see that as big as an issue as it seems to be.

yeah he really struggles still with it... lots to learn. He ran with some strength last night... but i also am worried on his breaking through arm tackles still too. he is young

Brett Hundley looked great overall against the Eagles. There were a few times when you could see that he didn't know quite what to do, but he did a good job of navigating the pocket in those instances and buying enough time for himself to make a play. Outside of the pick-6, you really couldn't ask for more out of a rookie QB. Looked like a 1st RD talent.

I was happy with Jordan Phillips overall. He really does move well for a guy his size, and when he wants to, he can collapse the entire side of a line.

Didn't see much from Beasley, but I've only watched the game once, and I was focusing on Miami for obvious reasons.

Mike Hull made some nice plays and even got off some blocks (hoops).

Randy Gregory pushed Matt Khalil into the QB's lap with regularity. As his college tape showed, he excels at reaching the OL before the OL reaches him, and from there, his agility and instincts take over. He always seems to make the right play. There was a play action pass late in the 2nd QTR, where Gregory had contain and was reading the TE (rather than bursting up field). As soon as he read pass, he shoved the TE into the QB's lap.

Eric Kendricks made some nice plays, including a 3rd down tackle, where he took away a crossing route at the sticks then peeled off to the flat. He did have a hold on ST's.

awesome write up!!! agreeing everywhere

Gregory is just dominating all camp and preseason already. He gave the Vikings issues early and often!!! looking great

in Minnesota I am hearing that Hodges has a great chance of starting for the team right now. Kendricks has opportunity of maybe starting, but definitely will be seeing time in rotation, and off the bench.

also in Minnesota they may be trying to push and hope to start Trae Waynes on the outside this year, even for the opener. not definite it will happen, but they hope too... not sure if it great idea, but he will be learning through mistakes i guess... just dont want to destroy his confidence. but I guess they want to bring Captain back to the inside. We will see.

Kevin Johnson is a complete stud, multiple lass deflections this game, one in red zone, and downed the ball at the 2 on a kick off. Best NFL ready corner in this past draft by far.

A couple blurbs on Jaelen Strong... WR in Houston who is basically #4 WR running with the second squad right now:

August 19th:
During the latest Hard Knocks episode, the trials and tribulations of Texans rookie wide receiver Jaelen Strong are on full display.Inside the Texans’ offices, blunt-spoken head coach Bill O’Brien expressed some concern about the third-round draft pick and Philadelphia native.
“Strong isn’t getting it done,” O’Brien said after watching some practice video of the former Arizona State standout. “I think we just got to bring the guy in: ‘Look dude, you’re headed down a road that’s not good.'”
Strong rebounded from a rough week, though, and caught a 10-yard touchdown pass against the 49ers in his first NFL preseason game. It was an encouraging moment for Strong, an imposing downfield target at 6-foot-2, 211 pounds who’s down 20 pounds since the Texans drafted him in May.
O’Brien said Wednesday that he has identified progress in Strong while also factoring in the usual growing pains of being a rookie.

2 days ago:

Rookie receiver Jaelen Strong, the third-round pick, has been a work in progress.

“He had his (hamstring) issues in the spring as far as getting (on the field),” offensive coordinator George Godsey said. “He’s been out there every day in (camp).

“He showed up in shape, and he’s improved daily. A route runner and a receiver in this offense, it can be overbearing at times. Not to mention just some of the adjustments, the alignments and then the route trees that those players have, along with just being a rookie I think has really jumped on him quickly.

“Now, 21 days into camp, we see some improvement. We’ve seen him make plays. Yesterday was probably one of his better days. That’s encouraging.”

Blurbs on Devin Funchess in Carolina.... who basically now needs to be the guy... even though earlier they were saying HE IS NOT BENJAMIN and such, now they are saying HE NEEDS TO STEP UP FOR BENJAMIN!!!! lol

8/12: SPARTANBURG, S.C. – A look at Carolina Panthers second-round draft pick Devin Funchess, a wide receiver out of Michigan:

Impressions: You haven’t seen Funchess make the plays he did during offseason workouts because Kelvin Benjamin, last year’s first-round pick, no longer is sidelined by hamstring injuries, as he was in May and June. There’s a flash here and a flash there for Funchess, whose biggest day came during a red-zone drill last week when he had three catches inside the 20. At 6-foot-4, that might be where he is most valuable as the Panthers try to create mismatches with Funchess, Benjamin (6-5) and tight end Greg Olsen (6-5) close to the goal line. But Funchess isn’t ready to step into the No. 2 role yet. He was listed with the third-tier receivers in the team’s first depth chart, which is unofficial. Benjamin, Corey Brown, Ted Ginn Jr. and Jerricho Cotchery are listed above him. I don’t see Funchess staying that low. I also don’t see him starting the season No. 2 unless he takes great strides over the next month.

What’s next? Funchess should have a chance to shine in Friday’s preseason opener at Buffalo for the same reason he did in OTAs. Benjamin likely won’t play more than a couple of series. For Funchess to move up the depth chart, he needs to start catching eyes, because the competition is strong for possibly seven receivers to make the roster. Coach Ron Rivera recently said the No. 2 receiver spot could be filled by committee. Because Funchess can play all three receiver spots, it gives him more opportunities to get on the field.

written August 5th: Devin Funchess is not Kelvin Benjamin and Panthers fans should not expect him to be. I think some fans are waiting for Funchess to blow up in camp and just blow people away. Well Kelvin Benjamin and the rookie wide receiver class spoiled fans. ......... http://pantherlair.sportsblog.com/posts/2978890/devin-funchess-is-not-kelvin-benjamin.html

8/27: Carolina Panthers rookie wide receiver Devin Funchess may be the primary replacement for Kelvin Benjamin, according to head coach Ron Rivera.

Per beat reporter Jonathan Jones, Rivera had several comparisons for the rookie and Benjamin, implying they have similar skill sets and that they are waiting for Funchess to get healthy and onto the football field.

Rivera said, via The Charlotte Observer:

"The thing we're waiting for is for Devin (Funchess) to be healthy and get him out on the football field. He runs a lot of the same type of routes (as Kelvin). He's almost as imposing a target as Kelvin and the biggest thing with him is the confidence that he plays with as he develops." ............. http://www.sbnation.com/fantasy/2015/8/27/9215507/devin-funchess-fantasy-football-carolina-panthers

Hundley should've been taken in the 1st round in my opinion. If Mariota was worth a 1st round pick, then so was Brett Hundley.

Way too much was made of the development that Hundley was going to require. He didn't require anymore development than Mariota did. In fact, he required less. I always preferred Hundley to Mariota. I never moved him for a solid year from being my #2 underclassman quarterback behind Jameis Winston.

I like Mariota's skillset, I just know how unprepared you are as a quarterback playing in that offense. Brett Hundley can play.

Hundley looked good but I think you guys are getting a little crazy. He's no where near Mariota IMO.

Back
Top Bottom