Boomer Esiason nails it re: Tannehill.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer Esiason nails it re: Tannehill....

I live in NE, there's no doubt in my mind the majority of Pats fans would take Jimmy G., Brissett, Fitz and Tyrod over Ryan. They'd probably take him over EJ , that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You living in NE does not make those fans smarter.

You living in NE does not make those fans smarter.

True but they're usually right about they're team winning. The pats make thing easy for them.

I actually think Buffalo will be game today we'll see. Rex is great at getting his team emotionally charged for certain games. An emotional level that could never be sustained though.

Also they've been telling me the fins have no QB since 1999, with the exception of Pennington. Seems pretty accurate!

I have no issue with replacing Tannehill is we have someone better to play. That person currently isn't on our roster.

Gase was brought in to improve Tannehill among other things.....so he needs to get busy. If it is not possible, draft a QB and let the best man win.

IMO, to be fair, Tannehill has improved his deep ball accuracy. He has hit Stills, Parker, and Landry with some damn nice throws, but one area where he has really fell short and may even have regressed is in his pocket awareness.

agree with this. Its very frustrating watching him drop back (I literally hold my breath that he doesn't get killed).

I'm starting to think giving Tannehill the reigns of the offense by allowing him to audible and decide what play to use is what the problem is. Now I kind of get why Philbin and Lazor had him on a leash and didn't let him audible or call his own plays. I think Gase let him have free reigns of the offense to see if he's got what it takes to lead this offense, and so far he doesn't.

Irvin is still on crack. Tannehill wasn't a WR converted to QB, he was a QB that didn't win the starting job and played WR while he still attended all the QB meetings waiting for his opportunity.

You really are talking semantics. Bottomline is that he started out as a WR in college because he couldn't win a QB spot. He finished 3rd against QB powers like McGee who was drafted in the 4th round and finished his career in Canada (after 5 years) and Johnson who bounced through 10 different teams (on practice squads mostly) from the NFL and CFL in a span of 5 years(!!!!).
He couldn't beat out 'future HoF QB' :lol: Jerod Johnson in his second attempt at QB either.

I know his lack of experience was being used as an excuse for him to maybe develop longer than other QBs but I always thought it was a downfall. Because no matter how many QB meetings you attend your focus is always the position you are playing. I always thought it was a draw back.

I didn't mind drafting Tannehill in 2012. But he should have been drafted as a long term project in round 2 or 3, sit at least a year and get the basics down from the outside looking in.
If you are drafted in the top 10 you should not be a 5, 6 or 7 year project. He had 2 different HCs (plus 1 interim HC), 3 different OCs, different WRs by the dozens, different RBs, different OL players and we are looking at a QB who looks like in his first year now: confused, overwhelmed, can't handle the pressure. Instead of expanding his role we are looking to minimize his options (i.e. rolling him out), simplifying the offense etc.
The worst part is that people hung their hat on that #8 spot. The philosophy was because he was drafted so high he must be a franchise QB. He did show flashes but so did Henne. Pretty much every QB shows flashes at one point or another. After 5 years you cannot sit there and trying to pick out individual plays among the mishaps to show that he is on his way to be a great QB. It should be the opposite. The great plays should be in the majority by now not the other way around. Against Cleveland there were so many missed opportunities that even the biggest Tannehill fan behind me (he was the FFiB in our section until last year) said several times "Why the **** is he checking down again" when Stills on the left and Landry on the right broke free and had nothing but green or when Drake was all by himself on the left with nothing but green.

The real amusing part is that people started to minimize the role of the QB in an effort to lessen the impact of negativity about Tannehill. Suddenly the most important position on offense became just another player. Under that philosophy why even look for a franchise QB if the QB position suddenly has become so unimportant.

I criticized him over the years but gave him a clean slate for this year because of a brand new coaching staff. We are at 1-3 as I thought we would be. But I have seen a total regression in the passing offense and in Tannehill's play. I will give him the 4-game home stand to turn it around. I was not as hyped about Gase as others but there is no-way that we can simply blame the coaching staff again all by themselves. People have done that for 4 years now at what point does it end?

I am at the point that I don't even hope for touchdowns anymore. I am excited by just getting first downs and hopefully a FG (and I used to make fun of Sparano :lol:). My bar for QB play is so low right now that even a PeeWee player could make me happy.

Meanwhile Andrew Luck tore it up in England with no oline.

Using the logic of this board, that was only garbage time, they lost, thus it doesn't matter

Meanwhile, the Bils are doing to the quarterback-less Patriots what the Dolphins were supposed to do to them a few weeks ago. When Rex Ryan isn't getting in his own way, he still knows how to roll out a professional looking football team on Sunday's.

2014 on the road in the snow against Pittsburgh comes to mind

Even in that game Tannehill choked and almost lost the game. After getting the go ahead score our defense forced a 4 and out against steelers. Offense should have ended the game with TD or running out clock with ball deep in Pittsburg territory. Instead incompletion and FG give Pittsburgh another chance. They almost score on the last play of the game because Ryan took his foot off the pedal. This has been an ongoing theme. Get the lead and then stop scoring and expect the defense to hold multiple times. That just doesn't work

ESPN just brought up the Drew Brees debacle, you know when Miami failed him on his physical and chose Daunte Culpepper instead. WAY TO GO ASSHOLES!
that moved right there kill dolphins....this team is so bad now it doesn't matter what thill17 does...

Using the logic of this board, that was only garbage time, they lost, thus it doesn't matter

Beat me to it. I believe he had 80 yards and 1 int going into the 4th.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Even in that game Tannehill choked and almost lost the game. After getting the go ahead score our defense forced a 4 and out against steelers. Offense should have ended the game with TD or running out clock with ball deep in Pittsburg territory. Instead incompletion and FG give Pittsburgh another chance. They almost score on the last play of the game because Ryan took his foot off the pedal. This has been an ongoing theme. Get the lead and then stop scoring and expect the defense to hold multiple times. That just doesn't work

Tannehill took his foot off the pedal or the GARBAGE COACHING STAFF he has had since he started his career?

On the most recent "Inside The NFL" they were talking about the Dolphins/Tannehill and Esiason said that Tannehill is a nice, tough kid but doesn't appear to have the "edge" that you see in all good NFL QBs and pretty much implied he's not what you would call a leader. And Michael Irvin (who gives me the douche chills most of the time) also made a good point....that Tannehill, being a converted WR to QB, does not have the same ingrained embodiment/mentality of someone who has played the QB position all of their lives as most all other NFL QB's have and it definitely seems to affect the way he functions/carries himself on the field.

Complete opposite of what he said on the Joe Rose show. He said it has been hard for him because of the bad coaching and having 3 dif coaches and OC's. He also said he understood how hard it was with having dealt with that himself.

Also said he would wait then entire before judging him..

OH THill needs to improve and I think he has regressed some. Please tell me though, when has he had solid good coaching? By the end of the year we will know. He has never had anything close to good coaching or O line since he has entered the league. Something I think most you should agree is needed for a inexperienced QB. Even the Andrew Luck's of the world need stability.

I've said this before: the media thinks Tannehill is a scrub. Coaches and players don't think highly of Tannehill. Opposing coaches are not losing sleep game planning for Tannehill. Defenses don't respect Tannehill. Non Dolphins fans think Tannehill is garbage. A lot of Dolphins fans think he's garbage too. I was at the Dolphins game in cincy and bengals and Dolphins fans alike were screaming that he sucked. Andy Dalton who had worse stats than Tannehill was taken over the latter as pro bowl alternative. You'll never see Tannehill in the top 100 ranked players.

Only dolphin fans that don't wanna reset Are the only ones still holding on to Tannehill.

^THIS is all undeniably true but you will still find guys here with a cult-like "protect the leader's image".

No one wants to reconcile themselves that people like Ol' Joe Philbin who wanted to cut ties with RT and the crazy psycho b*tch Miko was pretty much right about Tannehill (and it gives me great pains to say that). In fact, I just looked at an old article about Miko Grime's rants from last year....what she says is arrogant, defeatist and insulting (and I know guys here are gonna react angrily) but here's the problem....it turns out it's mostly ALL TRUE! (well....I don't think the Tannehill/baby bird thing is but who knows, LOL)......here is the link....

http://deadspin.com/latest-miko-grimes-twitter-rant-torches-ryan-tannehill-1749922349

The psycho's most perceptive post is this:

"How many people does Ryan Tannehill have to get fired before you realize he's the problem?"................a question as relevant today as it was then.

Last edited by a moderator:
He played WR because they were loaded at QB that year or 2. He was recruited as a QB. So he's not really a converted WR. Also, this "nice" thing was talked about by many when he first came out by Dilfer and others. Nothing new here.

Back
Top Bottom