Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

That was me about the colors, and no it's not. Ask anyone..anyone. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw someone my age (20) with any kind of Dolphin apparel (unless it's at a game). Also, our fans suck at the game. It gets louder in my head then it does at a Miami game. Yes yes there are some games where it can get loud, but for the most part it's weak.

That's funny I see a lot of kids around Ft. Lauderdale area wearing Zach and RW Jerseys. Maybe your part of Florida is different.

THEE most fickle fans i have ever seen have to be the chiefs fans. that is surprising because normally arrowhead is one of the toughest places to play, they get so loud. but, you think it has been bad around here with all the "i can't take this anymore" posts, you should here these fans gripe. when shott was on his way out, even the sports casters were on this team!

local miami fans may be fickle, i have heard people complain about stadium support for a long time. but miami has a large fan base that is not located in south florida, maybe one of the largest. i think that is were the discrepancy come from. most of us outside the area would die to see our team every home game and we hear how the stadium was so quiet week after week.

but atleast our fan base is not sending racial threats to its star D-lineman, or throwing batteries and junk at the opposition.

Plenty of Fans north of the border

Nice to see a post from a fellow canuck. I can't speak to the fans in south Florida - I have been to couple of games during the Marino years and I had no trouble getting tickets. I can say that I see an awful lot of Dolphin shirts in Toronto and get many comments when I wear my garb.

Might they have a bigger following outside of south Florida?

:confused:

Cheers

Re: Plenty of Fans north of the border

Originally posted by tofishfan
Nice to see a post from a fellow canuck. I can't speak to the fans in south Florida - I have been to couple of games during the Marino years and I had no trouble getting tickets. I can say that I see an awful lot of Dolphin shirts in Toronto and get many comments when I wear my garb.

Might they have a bigger following outside of south Florida?

:confused:

Cheers

I'm in toronto almost every other weekend (my favorite city) and I agree, I see a lot of fins Jersey's.

Just my 2 cents, the fins have a huge fan base scattered all over. The one's that are in So. Fla are divided since a lot of residents are transplanted from some other place. This is why you see sell out games w/ empty seats. A lot of season ticket holders don't live there and are not able to make it.

That was me about the colors, and no it's not. Ask anyone..anyone. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw someone my age (20) with any kind of Dolphin apparel (unless it's at a game). Also, our fans suck at the game. It gets louder in my head then it does at a Miami game. Yes yes there are some games where it can get loud, but for the most part it's weak.

a) you must not go to any games

b) my son is 15 and him and his friends wear plenty of Phins colors..any day...not just game days

c) in my community there is a bunch of 18, 19, 20s and they do too wear Phins colors.

d) you live under a rock

e) go to a game before you talk to me again

f) if it gets too loud in your head you may want to seek the advice from a doctor

Last edited by a moderator:
My thinking on the "fickle" Miami fan base is as follows:

12 month outdoor activities. How many other major markets can boast that? If you are a Jets fan, what else are you going to do up there in December. Gee - there's the Knicks, Rangers, and the Jets. But you can't go fishing, and you can't play golf. People would rather do other things then watch a football game in South Florida. Fans in cities like Green Bay and Washington live and die by their teams. They have waiting lists a mile long for tickets, and all they talk about is their team. Not in Miami. People would rather hang out at the beach and get a tan then go to a Dolphins game. They'd rather go deep sea fishing or play golf then watch the Fins.

It's a whole different mind set in places like here in DC, where the whole town shuts down for a Redskins game. Same thing in Green Bay.

And in Miami it really has not much to do with the teams record either. Because when you look at the Canes fan base. The only games they sell out in the Orange Bowl are when the Gators or Semiholes come to town. The Canes are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country, but they can't even get 40,000 people to attend a game. And that is sad.

I honestly don't attribute much to the race issue, or the income issue. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to pay for it. If people wanted to see the Dolphins and Canes play bad enough they'd have no problem coming up with the cash. They just don't have the passion that the folks in New York, DC, Green Bay or Denver have for their home teams.

And that my friends is the reality of the fickle Miami fans. Don't worry, you're not alone. Just check the Tampa fans and Jags fans to see how many people attend those games. Tampa used to have plenty of empty seats prior to Tony Dungy arriving and actually making them competive. And the Jags are showing that their loyal fan base could care less since the Jags have started losing.

Well here is my take on the situation. As a Californian with my first visit to Florida last year, I found that the Dolphin support and interest among the locals was much higher and more intense than for any team in California, with only the Basketball team in Sacremento coming close.
However Cox, having played years there as a major personality player, would have a good insight on the situation. It is true that a good number of the population of the South Florida region is not native, and their loyalties are to their old home areas. Also there is a large social-beach loving-poser crowd in South Florida that is similiar to the same type in California, and they do not show passion for sports teams.
Also, I believe that, especially prior to the NFL shoving Jaguar games down throat of the Central Florida(Orlando station) fans, that the Dolphins have a much stronger fan base in Central Florida than they do in South Florida.

First of all, what in the hell are you all talking about? Most of the Miami Dolphin fans are in the area of miami and the cities nearby florida. The area of miami if you all ever been to Miami which most of you are talking out of your ***, loves the marlins, Heat but love the dolphins a lot more. It sounds like that guy was making the bitter excuse to call himself a miami fan out of state cause he doesn't feel loyal enough. Marlins do suck but people stil watch them, they aren't the only team in the league where there is a lack of fan support. The hispanic comment that idiot made makes no sense at all and he should do some research before spilling his beans. Hispanics pump up the economy down here in Miami.

Dolphin Fans in Florida such as my self date back to the 60's 70's. If you do any research my friend, watch our away games and look at the people that are actually wearing Dolphin shirts. That would equal a base percentage of the fin fans in that city.

hardly Fickle

It has been mentioned before that there is a lot of competition form other outdoor activities in SoFla, and I agree. On a Sunday there are so many things to do with your kids (and parents if they've migrated) that football some times takes a back seat. I make at least 2 games every year and watch every single one, even if I have to tape it. I dont believe that I have to be a season ticket holder to be considered a true fan.

And so what if I get upset if they throw away a 2 point lead late in the fourth quarter. I'm still going to watch them and go to the game anyway. Too much is made about the blackouts over the years. Because the blackout only means that tickets didnt sell out by the deadline. And how many blackouts have we had anyway, not nearly as many as many other teams.

Talk to any Fins fan and you'll know that he wants Keith Jackson's head on a stick. Now that's a true fan. No matter how painful it is to watch them lose, we still watch them. Football is a lot of fun, but football is not my life.

Originally posted by juniorseau55
The area of miami if you all ever been to Miami which most of you are talking out of your ***, loves the marlins, Heat but love the dolphins a lot more.

I don't know about Miami loving the Heat or the Marlins. I used to usher at the Heat games as well as the Dolphins. I remember a game in their first or second season against the Bulls. MJ was playing and it was a 2 pt game with under two minutes to go and the fans were streaming out. I almost got fired for yelling at some "fans". We were down 2pts to the World champs with two minutes left and I estimate 30% - 40% were leaving. This isn't love, its pathetic. As for the Marlins, all baseball attendance is down but the Marlins are among the worst despite being in the playoff chase.

Barracuda said that in other towns the fans live and die with their teams. If the local fans don't do that then they aren't as good a fans. If people would rather be doing something else then they are not as good a fans.

"Dolphin Fans in Florida such as my self date back to the 60's 70's. If you do any research my friend, watch our away games and look at the people that are actually wearing Dolphin shirts. That would equal a base percentage of the fin fans in that city."

dolphin fans such as MY self date back to the early 70's.

so your point is that if you take the % of fans at any given away game that would be a good base for the fans in that city. so, if we play, say san diego and 5-10% of the crowd are wearing dolphins gear of some sort, then 5-10% of the population are phins fans. there are 32 nfl cities at roughly 5-10% population. mmmmm that equals quite a large fan base out side of miami.

so to get to your point that the majority of ALL phins fans are in south florida is a bit much. i would bet the ratio is much closer to 50/50. i would say that miami fan dispersement would probably put us in the top 5 in the league.

Originally posted by juniorseau55
First of all, what in the hell are you all talking about? Most of the Miami Dolphin fans are in the area of miami and the cities nearby florida. The area of miami if you all ever been to Miami which most of you are talking out of your ***, loves the marlins, Heat but love the dolphins a lot more. It sounds like that guy was making the bitter excuse to call himself a miami fan out of state cause he doesn't feel loyal enough. Marlins do suck but people stil watch them, they aren't the only team in the league where there is a lack of fan support. The hispanic comment that idiot made makes no sense at all and he should do some research before spilling his beans. Hispanics pump up the economy down here in Miami.

Dolphin Fans in Florida such as my self date back to the 60's 70's. If you do any research my friend, watch our away games and look at the people that are actually wearing Dolphin shirts. That would equal a base percentage of the fin fans in that city.

I would like to agree with "some" of what you say, but it's hard to get past the arrogance in your post's!

I think you need to stop trying to tell everyone here that "what you say" is the only thing on this site that makes sense.

Your just plain and simple not the only intelligent person here.

Or should we all just stop giving our opinions and let you answer?

:rolleyes:

I totally disagree. I see a whole lot of young and middle age people wearing Dolphins apparel.

As for our fans sucking at the games, I again must disagree. We, because I'm there at every game, cause at least a timeout every game. And it gets just as loud if not louder than almost every stadium in the NFL!

Every single teams fans get quiet during sometime of almost every game. Especially when the opposing team scores a TD! It breaks the wind out of the sails, so to speak.

I think we can all agree that the Jets sell out every game, and have some roudy fans, but I remember when Miami was whooping their butts, only to lose in that Monday Night game, that by half time the Stadium was not only quiet enough to hear a pin drop, but it was "empty". Fans were having to beg the Stadium personel to get back in when they saw their team making a dramatic comeback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom