Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryan Cox's comments about Miami Fans

Originally posted by justafan

That's funny I see a lot of kids around Ft. Lauderdale area wearing Zach and RW Jerseys. Maybe your part of Florida is different.

It is. It's a ****hole.

Tons of Tampa fans though..of course.

Originally posted by FFiB

a) you must not go to any games

b) my son is 15 and him and his friends wear plenty of Phins colors..any day...not just game days

c) in my community there is a bunch of 18, 19, 20s and they do too wear Phins colors.

d) you live under a rock

e) go to a game before you talk to me again

f) if it gets too loud in your head you may want to seek the advice from a doctor

Pipe down.
I do go to games..I was just at the Texans one. If you thought it was loud at that game then maybe you don't know the defintion of loud. Guess what? I don't live in your community. Do I live under a rock? No. I live around a bunch of Tampa fans. Only people you'll catch here are are middle-aged/old farts wearing Dolphin stuff for the most part.

Originally posted by baracuda
My thinking on the "fickle" Miami fan base is as follows:

12 month outdoor activities. How many other major markets can boast that? If you are a Jets fan, what else are you going to do up there in December. Gee - there's the Knicks, Rangers, and the Jets. But you can't go fishing, and you can't play golf. People would rather do other things then watch a football game in South Florida. Fans in cities like Green Bay and Washington live and die by their teams. They have waiting lists a mile long for tickets, and all they talk about is their team. Not in Miami. People would rather hang out at the beach and get a tan then go to a Dolphins game. They'd rather go deep sea fishing or play golf then watch the Fins.

It's a whole different mind set in places like here in DC, where the whole town shuts down for a Redskins game. Same thing in Green Bay.

And in Miami it really has not much to do with the teams record either. Because when you look at the Canes fan base. The only games they sell out in the Orange Bowl are when the Gators or Semiholes come to town. The Canes are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country, but they can't even get 40,000 people to attend a game. And that is sad.

I honestly don't attribute much to the race issue, or the income issue. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to pay for it. If people wanted to see the Dolphins and Canes play bad enough they'd have no problem coming up with the cash. They just don't have the passion that the folks in New York, DC, Green Bay or Denver have for their home teams.

And that my friends is the reality of the fickle Miami fans. Don't worry, you're not alone. Just check the Tampa fans and Jags fans to see how many people attend those games. Tampa used to have plenty of empty seats prior to Tony Dungy arriving and actually making them competive. And the Jags are showing that their loyal fan base could care less since the Jags have started losing.

I agree 100%.

Originally posted by Ozzy

I totally disagree. I see a whole lot of young and middle age people wearing Dolphins apparel.

As for our fans sucking at the games, I again must disagree. We, because I'm there at every game, cause at least a timeout every game. And it gets just as loud if not louder than almost every stadium in the NFL!

Every single teams fans get quiet during sometime of almost every game. Especially when the opposing team scores a TD! It breaks the wind out of the sails, so to speak.

I think we can all agree that the Jets sell out every game, and have some roudy fans, but I remember when Miami was whooping their butts, only to lose in that Monday Night game, that by half time the Stadium was not only quiet enough to hear a pin drop, but it was "empty". Fans were having to beg the Stadium personel to get back in when they saw their team making a dramatic comeback.

You live in Miami though..so of course you'd see a lot of Dolphin stuff. Maybe it's me..but I just don't think our stadium gets that loud. You hear people in my section complain all the time. It could just be the section I'm in.

i agree to a point... dolphins fans just want a ring and bitch every year that we do not get one... sure its been 30 years but this team is the most entertaining team of the last say 33 years.. since 1971 this team has been in it... another ring or two would have been nice but being competitive is very important..

this week on miamidolphins.com the site was overran with 450 something so called fans basically whining and moaning about how dave and jay need to go...WE ARE ONLY 0-1... BIG DEAL...
the fins will be there.... beware of buffalo in two weeks....

need a victory over the hated jets this week....

My story as a Miamian...

In a couple of months I will be 24 years old, I was born in Miami and lived here all my life, attending Florida Int. University here in Miami as well. For about 22 years now I have lived in the Kendall suburb which is in southwest Miami. My background is Latin and European.

Bryan Cox's statement is partially right and wrong. The first part of his statement "Miami fans are the most fickle fans" may be true. Miamians are inconstant, we can love you one minute and hate you the next. But if you ask me, thats passion. I've noticed the same type of attitude from many other professional team fans, if not worse, so whats the problem?

Cox's second part of his statement "...thats because no one is from Miami" is misleading. Dolphan1 brought up a good point by saying that Cox might have been suggesting that the Fins have a huge fan base not located in Miami but in other states. There isn't alot of native Miamians left here from the beginning years of the Fins. So the guidance from one football generation to another has been slowed. Miami does have a huge population of Hispanics who did not grow up on football. Me for example, my parents showed me soccer, so I had to pick up the Fins for myself when I was about 8 years old. All of my close friends and most fans I know also had to pick it up on their own. But that Fin passion has grown and grown just like everyone else here. To suggest there is not a huge fan base in Miami is beyond absurd. As each year comes and goes, it is literally scary to see how fanatic everyone here has become including the Hispanic population. There are even Spanish TV shows all about the Dolphins. Everyday single day, I see so many cars with Dolphins flags, stickers, or license plates as I drive around. For all you Miamians, I'm sure you've seen them, our town is flooded with Dolphin banners on lightposts on major streets and highways. On Sunday mornings, supermarkets are packed with fans wearing jerseys buying out all the stock on beer and chips. My point is that our next generation of Miamians in about 10 years, without a single doubt in my mind, will finally inherit our Fin pride, and become the next level of fanatics just like Green Bay and Kansas City where it becomes a way of life.

One of the biggest reasons that i never jumped ship even though I live in Bills land was because I couldn't stand the fickle bills fans........when they did good.....EVERYONES loves the bills.......when they were stumbling......NOBODY admitted to being a bills fan......I got on board and I'm staying on board.....Miami's got as good as chance as anybody to "Get in and Win" the Superbowl.......Attitude and execution of the plays..........get in there and execute someone I says!!!!!

Originally posted by pgsmelt
One of the biggest reasons that i never jumped ship even though I live in Bills land was because I couldn't stand the fickle bills fans........when they did good.....EVERYONES loves the bills.......when they were stumbling......NOBODY admitted to being a bills fan......I got on board and I'm staying on board.....Miami's got as good as chance as anybody to "Get in and Win" the Superbowl.......Attitude and execution of the plays..........get in there and execute someone I says!!!!!
wtf are you talking about?....dude, go ask your next-door neighbor who the QB of the Miami Dolphins is....bet you he doesnt know...most Miami fans still think Marino is the qb....there's no allegiance down there.
The fans don't tailgate unless there's a Starbucks:lol:
Dolphin fans arrive midway through the first quarter and leave midway through the 3rd to "beat the traffic":lol:

pathetic fanbase...i heard Pro Player was so quiet last Sunday that you could've taken your midterm exams there:roflmao:

haha.... man this one got really heated really fast. and PhinPhan, screw you man. I said screw Bryan Cox because all the Dolphin fans I've ever known(granted I live in Ohio, so I don't know a whole lot of them) have been fans as long as I can remember. I used to go to my buddies house and watch the games on Directv and we made up for the stadium noise... we were SOOOOOOOOO Loud and obnoxious during the games...

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

The bottom line is that South Florida, for all the media hype it gets isn't even in the top 50 metropolitan areas in population.

Where are you getting this?
S. Florida is the 17th largest DMA in the country and is quickly moving towards if it hasn't already moved into the top 15 right behind Tampa FL.
A little confused on this info. May want to check your facts.

wrongo circle.....i work with people who own suites at the ralph, with season ticket holders.....who buy em.....and then give em back.......and they all know about fiedler AND griese AND Seau.......and were scared snotless.......and SHOULD BE......this is a great team.......and they WILL prevail.......

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

You live in Miami though..so of course you'd see a lot of Dolphin stuff. Maybe it's me..but I just don't think our stadium gets that loud. You hear people in my section complain all the time. It could just be the section I'm in.

The reason has a lot to do with the stadium and WHO it was built to accomadate.

One problem is the architecture. It was built to be football/baseball. Because of that they were not able to make the stands steep enough and close into the action enough to retain alot of fan noise. That is a fact. So much so that Huzienga himself had looked into the pricing of revamping the stadium to fix the problem..... unfortunately.... to expensive.

THe Orange bowl structurally held noise very well and the stands were right there on top of the action. I miss the place. During the Canes/Gator game and Dolphin games in the past there you could feel the entire stadium shaking from the noise levels. Awesome place.

The main reason though is WHO the stadium was built for. Joe Robbie was of course to built to accomadate the millions of dollars luxury box seating brings in and what those types of fans would want in a stadium. The Orange Bowl, even if the built luxury boxes never would have satisfied it's occupants. Corp. big money is the game. Almost the entire lower level plus the club level seats are owned mostly by corportations or oldtimer season ticket holders who barely make it out to the games. These are the infamous "in the stadium halfway through the 2nd quarter crowd and out halfway through the 3rd quarter crowd." It's a shame but that is how it is. For the most part there are great fans in the upper decks and endzones. Those just aren't good enough numbers to really get the fan noise rocking.

The Orange Bowl in Miami WAS IN FACT one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. We had no problems with fan base there.
Why?

IMO it was a stadium for you avg. Joe. Ticket prices for lower level areas were withing reach for the avg. person and the seats were so uncomfortable you didn't have any of your "going to the game to be seen crowd" that even wanted to go. Seats generally went to the real fans.

One person brought up a good point though. That there is a new generation of fans that were brought up here with parents that were Dolphin fans. The fan base... real fan base..... is and will continue to grow.

Back
Top Bottom