Chase Young | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase Young

So you've significantly upgraded your team, we will spend a bunch in FA too, we are back to 8-8, that's the stated aim of the owner, and heads will roll if they don't come close to that. So we are picking mid round, we have zero chance to pick up Lawrence or Fields, so we are back in the same situation, if you don't like Tua, in having to settle for an average Joe. This is why you don't blink and take Tua, he's falling into our laps, assuming there is no set backs, passing up on him is asinine. Oh and he's had one surgery that was required, the other two were elective and not necessary at all.

And before you say well I would use the draft picks I've got to trade up, trading up requires someone to trade with you and it's pretty clear from this year, that there are a lot of teams in this league that need franchise QBs. It's as big of a gamble hoping you can trade up, than it is to take Tua this year.
Everyone has a price and not all teams picking at the top need QBs so you can use draft capital. That's onl;y one scenario I outlined. The other is draft Young then move into position for Tua using draft capital if you have to. Either way, I think at this point Chase Young is the way to go. Of course not a guarantee but if he hits you have an impact player at a critical position.

Does anyone know how the strength of schedule plays out for us and the Redskins? If the Skins and Phins, lose out and finish at 2-14, who would get the 2nd pick?

I'm just curious when burrow became a can't miss. Up to the start of this season he was maybe a 6th...most didn't even have him being drafted. Now Fromm and Herbert both 40 game starter can't hold a candle to him? I'm so glad most posters on here don't have any real involvement with the team.
Chase Young is the definition of can't miss. If he us in the board I'm praying Miami takes him. The go get our QB of the future.

Who's throwing the ball under center ? The drop off from Burrow and Tua, is extreme, I'm not sure everyone comprehends this.

JJ Watt has been the best DE over the last decade, there can't be too many arguments about that. His team have been no where near the super bowl in that time and only this year when Watson has stepped up his play and looks like a franchise guy is his team even playoff contenders. The point is DE's don't suddenly make you contenders, we had one of the best in Cam Wake and before that Jason Taylor yet how many SB's did we make ? Largely down to the fact that we had no one throwing the ball who was capable of lifting his team to an elite level.

I like Young a lot and if we had the QB position sorted, it's a no brainer to take him with our first pick if he's there. However we haven't and if one of Burrow or Tua is there, you simply have to take them, taking Chase and hoping that Tua slides to you on your second pick is extremely dicey and won't happen, or taking a chance on a scatter gun Herbert or ultimate game manger in Fromm is what you are left with, I don't like those options because they are not going to make us relevant.
Flip side to argument...

Dan Marino.

If we're in a position to pick him and our doctors sign off on his health then i see no way the Dolphins don't select Tua.

The Dolphins will probably value Epenesa and Gross Matos higher than Young even if they think Young is a better prospect in a vacuum. The former 2 have all the traits they want in a DE.

My targets for our top five picks:

1a. Tua
1b. Epenesa, Gross Matos, Simmons, Chiasson
1c. Leatherwood, Biadasz, Humphrey
2a. Trey Smith, Etienne
2b. Surratt, McKinney
3. Gabe Davis, Akers

Im sure I'll have more guys to add here as time goes on but this is where I'm at right now

Does anyone know how the strength of schedule plays out for us and the Redskins? If the Skins and Phins, lose out and finish at 2-14, who would get the 2nd pick?

I believe Dolphins would be at #2. They are currently behind Dolphins on tankathon.com.

I found this on 3 point stance magazines page. What do you think?

"Chase Young – DE – Ohio St.

This one may trigger some people so let me qualify this by saying, Chase Young is a mid-first-round talent. Me putting him on this list has more to do with the kids who are under him on some evaluators lists than his talent alone. I have Young as my third best defensive end on my big board behind: AJ Epenesa & Yetur Gross-Matos. Epenesa could end up being the best player in the entirety of this class and few guys play with the motor and bend like Gross-Matos. Young lacks that motor and as an edge rusher that worries me. He’s also not nearly as strong with his hands as Epenesa and Gross-Matos. Young relies on his speed and slipperiness to get to the quarterback. These are three potentially elite pass rushers but for me, Chase Young is being overvalued at this moment in time."

So i wonder about Young because Charles Harris was liked for his speed and spin move, but hasnt done much yet. Is it better to go for the stronger guy, over the speed guy?

There will be more reports like that approaching draft day. There are dozens of SPARQ dynamos on the Buckeye roster. Chase Young is not one of them, at least not based on his numbers exiting high school. His results in the tests that align with explosiveness off the edge in the NFL were particularly poor. Those tests have such high correlation I'm not willing to ignore them. If he doesn't test well then I'm confident he won't be the best defensive end from this crop, although I'm not versed enough to say who will be.

Chase Young combine results will be a huge wild card just like Jake Fromm hand size.

I’m just not touching Jake Fromm.

The idea that our QB is gonna be a difference maker, and that is something I just don’t see in him. Too ordinary, have you seen Jared Goff against the likes of Chicago last year, NE last year, any game mcvay doesn’t have the game script on point, or any game he plays in the elements? What is Fromm gonna do for me differently? The game condenses w/ the weather and I’m not gonna be the next franchise to be the example of why you don’t take guys like that.

he very well may churn out a roll in the NFL but it’s an uphill battle imo and not who I want to turn the corner of this franchise w/

Who's throwing the ball under center ? The drop off from Burrow and Tua, is extreme, I'm not sure everyone comprehends this.

JJ Watt has been the best DE over the last decade, there can't be too many arguments about that. His team have been no where near the super bowl in that time and only this year when Watson has stepped up his play and looks like a franchise guy is his team even playoff contenders. The point is DE's don't suddenly make you contenders, we had one of the best in Cam Wake and before that Jason Taylor yet how many SB's did we make ? Largely down to the fact that we had no one throwing the ball who was capable of lifting his team to an elite level.

I like Young a lot and if we had the QB position sorted, it's a no brainer to take him with our first pick if he's there. However we haven't and if one of Burrow or Tua is there, you simply have to take them, taking Chase and hoping that Tua slides to you on your second pick is extremely dicey and won't happen, or taking a chance on a scatter gun Herbert or ultimate game manger in Fromm is what you are left with, I don't like those options because they are not going to make us relevant.

I just said outside of Burrow, Chase Young would be a slam dunk. Tua's injuries concern me, he seems very injury prone and may not be the same player after that injury. some post injuries have a lasting affect on a player. Tua is very talented and has a lot of ability but the best ability is availability and I worry about that with him. If Tua didn't have injury concerns then he would be undoubtedly the #1 pick and I would be thrilled if we got him. I'm sure as the year goes on and draft season approaches we will hear more about Tua's recovery but even if things are looking good for Tua, I still worry about him staying healthy in the NFL. But I do agree QB>any other position. But I don't want to draft a QB with our first pick just to draft one or draft a player with injury red flags. I do however feel Chase Young is a safer pick over Tua and especially over the other QBs. We could still draft maybe Herbert, Eason or Love with other 2 first round picks or 2nd round picks. We just need to hit on some draft picks and Chase Young looks like he could be a star in the NFL. Tua worries me with his injuries.

I liked Fromm but 2 of the 3 games I've seen this year there was rain and it didn't bode well. I think he'll be best served in the AFC South or NFC West where he'll play more games in domes and/or dryer climate.

I just said outside of Burrow, Chase Young would be a slam dunk. Tua's injuries concern me, he seems very injury prone and may not be the same player after that injury. some post injuries have a lasting affect on a player. Tua is very talented and has a lot of ability but the best ability is availability and I worry about that with him. If Tua didn't have injury concerns then he would be undoubtedly the #1 pick and I would be thrilled if we got him. I'm sure as the year goes on and draft season approaches we will hear more about Tua's recovery but even if things are looking good for Tua, I still worry about him staying healthy in the NFL. But I do agree QB>any other position. But I don't want to draft a QB with our first pick just to draft one or draft a player with injury red flags. I do however feel Chase Young is a safer pick over Tua and especially over the other QBs. We could still draft maybe Herbert, Eason or Love with other 2 first round picks or 2nd round picks. We just need to hit on some draft picks and Chase Young looks like he could be a star in the NFL. Tua worries me with his injuries.

Sigh.. how is he that injury prone ? High ankle sprains are one of the most common injuries and happen to everyone who plays sports on a regular basis. The difference is Bama get there players under the knife rather than just resting them like the rest of the world do. The hip injury was a freak injury caused by being brought back way too early from the high ankle sprain and not having that mobility back. Look what Herbert has been through. This narrative that Tua is more injury prone than others is just wrong, he's had some really awful luck and not been helped by Saban. Unlike the likes of Herbert and Fromm he's playing behind a porous line, if he had Fromm's line the kid is throwing 700 yds and 10 tds every game and barely got a stain on his shirt.

Young is not the safer pick when you don't have a QB. Young is not going to throw the TD that takes us to the Superbowl, nor are we one DE away from being relevant. We don't know how Young will transition to the NFL, people look at Nick Bosa and immediately think, oooh that's the way to go, but look at the rest of the DLine at San Fran, you really think Nick Bosa on our team would have the same impact ? Young's had a great season and he got 10.5 sacks last year too, so no doubt he's a fine prospect, he's not can't miss though, neither is Tua but at least Tua plays in the game's most important position.

Sigh.. how is he that injury prone ? High ankle sprains are one of the most common injuries and happen to everyone who plays sports on a regular basis. The difference is Bama get there players under the knife rather than just resting them like the rest of the world do. The hip injury was a freak injury caused by being brought back way too early from the high ankle sprain and not having that mobility back. Look what Herbert has been through. This narrative that Tua is more injury prone than others is just wrong, he's had some really awful luck and not been helped by Saban. Unlike the likes of Herbert and Fromm he's playing behind a porous line, if he had Fromm's line the kid is throwing 700 yds and 10 tds every game and barely got a stain on his shirt.

Young is not the safer pick when you don't have a QB. Young is not going to throw the TD that takes us to the Superbowl, nor are we one DE away from being relevant. We don't know how Young will transition to the NFL, people look at Nick Bosa and immediately think, oooh that's the way to go, but look at the rest of the DLine at San Fran, you really think Nick Bosa on our team would have the same impact ? Young's had a great season and he got 10.5 sacks last year too, so no doubt he's a fine prospect, he's not can't miss though, neither is Tua but at least Tua plays in the game's most important position.

Sigh... Agree to disagree, your not going to change my mind on this. A lot of people are concern about Tua's health ability to hold up in the NFL. It's not something made up. He couldn't finish a complete season at Alabama both years he started and that hip injury is a freak injury like you said, very serious.

Sigh.. how is he that injury prone ?
Besides the two ankle sprains and a hip injury that is usually seen in car accidents...hand injury cost him spring practice time in 2018 and he played on a sprained knee much of the later part of last year - missed a few series or quarters I believe.

Anyone that does not acknowledge there is more risk of durability issues from the hip alone is not being objective. Look at the risk and say "Yup, I'll roll the dice on that skill set along with the intangibles", but you still have to look at it.

I found this on 3 point stance magazines page. What do you think?

"Chase Young – DE – Ohio St.

This one may trigger some people so let me qualify this by saying, Chase Young is a mid-first-round talent. Me putting him on this list has more to do with the kids who are under him on some evaluators lists than his talent alone. I have Young as my third best defensive end on my big board behind: AJ Epenesa & Yetur Gross-Matos. Epenesa could end up being the best player in the entirety of this class and few guys play with the motor and bend like Gross-Matos. Young lacks that motor and as an edge rusher that worries me. He’s also not nearly as strong with his hands as Epenesa and Gross-Matos. Young relies on his speed and slipperiness to get to the quarterback. These are three potentially elite pass rushers but for me, Chase Young is being overvalued at this moment in time."

So i wonder about Young because Charles Harris was liked for his speed and spin move, but hasnt done much yet. Is it better to go for the stronger guy, over the speed guy?

Simply a poor eval. Whomever it is needs to find another profession.

Back
Top Bottom