Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

Yes and bitching and whining on a message board leads to change right?

It's a message board. The whole reason it exists is so fans can give their opinions about the team. People really need to reevaluate why it is exactly they feel Tannehill is exempt from critism. You guys treat with him kid gloves like he just won the last three super bowls. Sorry, not the case.

People have extrapolated the rest of his hall of fame career based on a solid stretch last season. After 6 years. And that's somehow treated as fact around these parts. Objectively, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Everyone is rooting for him. Some just don't think he'll ever get there. I personally enjoy hearing the different perspectives. Some opinions will be negative because this team's had it's own laugh track for about 15 years now and - as fans - they want something better. Echo chambers are lame.

It's a message board. The whole reason it exists is so fans can give their opinions about the team. People really need to reevaluate why it is exactly they feel Tannehill is exempt from critism. You guys treat with him kid gloves like he just won the last three super bowls. Sorry, not the case.

This is an exaggeration, which is typical.

People have extrapolated the rest of his hall of fame career based on a solid stretch last season. After 6 years. And that's somehow treated as fact around these parts. Objectively, it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Another exaggeration, along with ignoring two things (1) very similar lengthy stretches in other seasons. (2) a flat out prediction that it would happen by his supporters. Give the QB a better supporting cast and coaching and he will be a very good QB. Predicted. For several seasons. When it happens (after finally firing the dumpster fire coach), the doubters try to pretend it didn't happen or that it doesn't matter.

This is a continuation of the 5 years of moving goal posts by the detractors. First it was that he must reduce the number of mistakes, then passer rating needed to be above 90, then YPA needed to improve, then he needed to have a 4th quarter comeback where he carried the team, then he needed to improve the deep ball, then they needed to make the playoffs, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...... Please tell me if this last bit is not accurate. If it is, please ask yourself why would someone play that game? It is clear there is an agenda by some. What is unclear is why.

Everyone is rooting for him. Some just don't think he'll ever get there. I personally enjoy hearing the different perspectives. Some opinions will be negative because this team's had it's own laugh track for about 15 years now and - as fans - they want something better. Echo chambers are lame.

Not everyone is rooting for him. That should be obvious by now. Why is it okay to hold Fiedler through Henne against Tannehill?

There's a lot of absolutes in your post, none of which are true. A message board sole purpose is to share opinions??? Maybe to the maladjusted who seek an argument. There's a good portion who view fin heaven to get the latest news or be in a place that supports their favorite team. Next, nobody is touting Tannehill as a hall of famer. It's an over correction to the people who scour the internet for any stat they can misinterpret and constantly shove down our throats. Finally, not everybody is rooting for him. Some sadly don't like him because of his college career, race, political affiliation, demeanor, madden rating, fantasy stats, or some other pathetic reason. plus if he succeeds that means they are actually wrong and they couldn't have that. The ego just couldn't take it.

Last edited:
Some of those guys are better than Tannehill.
If you're referring to the first group of names I mentioned, I would disagree. But the 2nd group, absolutely, Cousins is a better QB, his last 2 seasons were his first as a full time starter and he easily surpassed Tannehill as a passer. Only 2 years in and Mariota has already achieved a higher QB rating than Tannehill has ever had.

You could make a case for RT over the longtime vets Eli and Carson...and Dalton too.

If you're referring to the first group of names I mentioned, I would disagree. But the 2nd group, absolutely, Cousins is a better QB, his last 2 seasons were his first as a full time starter and he easily surpassed Tannehill as a passer. Only 2 years in and Mariota has already achieved a higher QB rating than Tannehill has ever had.

You could make a case for RT over the longtime vets Eli and Carson...and Dalton too.

Cousins? Not for me, although I will admit to some bias against Cousins for two reasons. First, everytime I watch the guy he throws completely boneheaded INTs. Second, his own team is not convinced.

Mariota is a nice QB but has the same benefits that Wilson enjoyed early in his career. He is just not asked to do as much as other QBs. 451 attempts in year 2 is a far cry from the 588 that Tannehill threw in year 2. And just like Wilson, he had the 3rd or 4th best running game taking the pressure off of the passing game.

In the end, it matters little if you rank the QBs Cousins, Mariota, Tannehill or Tannehill, Mariota, Cousins. All three QBs are good enough to win games. All three teams should focus on building around their QBs and not waste early draft picks any time soon.

Cousins? Not for me, although I will admit to some bias against Cousins for two reasons. First, everytime I watch the guy he throws completely boneheaded INTs. Second, his own team is not convinced.

Mariota is a nice QB but has the same benefits that Wilson enjoyed early in his career. He is just not asked to do as much as other QBs. 451 attempts in year 2 is a far cry from the 588 that Tannehill threw in year 2. And just like Wilson, he had the 3rd or 4th best running game taking the pressure off of the passing game.

In the end, it matters little if you rank the QBs Cousins, Mariota, Tannehill or Tannehill, Mariota, Cousins. All three QBs are good enough to win games. All three teams should focus on building around their QBs and not waste early draft picks any time soon.

I agree with most of all what you're saying but a major distinction between those 3 qbs mentioned and Tannehill is we are now in the midst of missing serious time because of a major knee injury sustained by our QB. At no fault of his own, we are basically left playing on a prayer for 2017, and went into a near 0% shot of winning in the playoffs last year. This isn't an indictment of Tannehill, but should be a fact that the FO takes into account moving forward.

The one fact remains is that Cutler is our starting qb in 2017, for better or worse. Trying to proclaim what FO should and shouldn't do based on hypothetical success or failure is foolish and argumentative. Right now, you plan on Tannehill being back for 2018, he's your guy. Period. Draft day, if there is a QB we like, regardless of round, we should look hard at taking him because betting on a surgically repaired knee is a bet you should hedge. That's my take.

I agree with most of all what you're saying but a major distinction between those 3 qbs mentioned and Tannehill is we are now in the midst of missing serious time because of a major knee injury sustained by our QB. At no fault of his own, we are basically left playing on a prayer for 2017, and went into a near 0% shot of winning in the playoffs last year. This isn't an indictment of Tannehill, but should be a fact that the FO takes into account moving forward.

The one fact remains is that Cutler is our starting qb in 2017, for better or worse. Trying to proclaim what FO should and shouldn't do based on hypothetical success or failure is foolish and argumentative. Right now, you plan on Tannehill being back for 2018, he's your guy. Period. Draft day, if there is a QB we like, regardless of round, we should look hard at taking him because betting on a surgically repaired knee is a bet you should hedge. That's my take.

I agree with all of this except for the QB regardless of round unless the rehab isn't going as well as you'd like. By draft day, there will be some good information about the knee. If the indications are a complete recovery, the Dolphins joins the ranks of all the teams looking complete the roster around their QB. Pouncey, and James are the much bigger injury concerns because they have multiple years of not staying healthy.

Once again, we are a few weeks from the season and we really don't know who the center or left guard is going to be. This is 15 years of continuous instability on the OL. I would rather they spend every draft pick on OL than any draft picks on QB.

I think Tannehill now falls under "multiple years of not staying healthy".

Yea so I would draft a QB next year... could not careless about Luck.

Perhaps if you wrote a Adam Gase a persuasive enough letter, he'd be sufficiently impressed by your football acumen to be sure to draft one. Couldn't hurt, right?

Perhaps if you wrote a Adam Gase a persuasive enough letter, he'd be sufficiently impressed by your football acumen to be sure to draft one. Couldn't hurt, right?
I'm willing to bet even Gase knows Miami needs a young guy. Moore is useless as a full time starter and Ryan may never be back to normal and has yet become consistent enough at 30.

The FO & Gase will have plenty of convo's about that QB spot next off season, especially if Cutler comes in and plays better than Ryan ever has.

I'm willing to bet even Gase knows Miami needs a young guy. Moore is useless as a full time starter and Ryan may never be back to normal and has yet become consistent enough at 30.

The FO & Gase will have plenty of convo's about that QB spot next off season, especially if Cutler comes in and plays better than Ryan ever has.

Well, I'd be thrilled if he does cuz it will mean we'd be again headed for the postseason. So yeah, I'd be rooting for Cutler to do well including a 7-1 stretch putting up near elite numbers. But OTOH based on the scurrying out from the woodwork now that RT17 has gone down, I can't help but ponder how many "true fans" would be rooting for a healthy Tannehill to fail if the promise of Cutler was waiting in the wings. Or for that matter are quietly thrilled that Ryan got injured... those true fans

Back
Top Bottom