Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

If you're looking for a recollection of the discussions in all those countless Tannehill threads in the past, this thread is it.

We've had some people somehow continue to defend Lazor and his scheme, even trying to compare it to Gase's. We've had people compare Tannehill to Jay Fiedler in terms of QB capabilities - true story. A poster even brought up a revolutionary statistics concept by saying that middle 10 is just as good as end of top 10. The only thing that I'm waiting for is all those QB names who - according to some posters here - were supposedly better than Tannehill: Robert Griffin III, Nick Foles, Colin Kaepernick, Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Chad Henne, I even read Brock Osweiler and Case Keenum at some point.

The thing is Ryan Tannehill is a darn good QB and I hope he'll recover completely because that means we'll have one less position to worry about going into 2018, regardless if we draft a QB or not.

Cousins? Not for me, although I will admit to some bias against Cousins for two reasons. First, everytime I watch the guy he throws completely boneheaded INTs. Second, his own team is not convinced.

That's not really accurate, they offered him $133 million over 6 with $70M+ in guarantees, for whatever reason Cousins wasn't satisfied with the deal.

Last 2 seasons combined Cousins has a higher QB rating, completion %, YPA, TD%, lower INT%, and unlike Tannehill, a winning record. Cousins isn't elite of course but I really don't see the argument for RT in regards to this comparison.

That's not really accurate, they offered him $133 million over 6 with $70M+ in guarantees, for whatever reason Cousins wasn't satisfied with the deal.

Last 2 seasons combined Cousins has a higher QB rating, completion %, YPA, TD%, lower INT%, and unlike Tannehill, a winning record. Cousins isn't elite of course but I really don't see the argument for RT in regards to this comparison.

Well he's an idiot to turn that down cause he's played like **** this preseason. They had to play their first team into the 3rd quarter of preseason game 2 to score points period this preseason. Hell it took them like 6 first team possessions to get a first down.

Well he's an idiot to turn that down cause he's played like **** this preseason. They had to play their first team into the 3rd quarter of preseason game 2 to score points period this preseason. Hell it took them like 6 first team possessions to get a first down.
I mean it's preseason.....

I'm thinking Cousins turned it down because he didn't like the structure of the deal.

I mean it's preseason.....

I'm thinking Cousins turned it down because he didn't like the structure of the deal.

Jay cutlers thrown 6 passes and that hasn't stopped people from telling us that he's an upgrade to 5 years of Ryan tannehill.

And now we are being told that miamis moving on from a qb that gase said the day before he got hurt "Ryan's gonna be a monster this year" and more than that a qb that never even had surgery.

You guys are a year early on this moving on stuff. He's getting the same treatment joe flacco got after he tore his acl. Which is he's the guy the next year.

No one moves on from a 30 or less year old qb your own coach has touted as a "monster" the first year after a acl surgery. He's getting 2018 and who knows provided cutler doesn't stink up the joint with shoddy decision making maybe gase will have his number on speed dial again as plan b. But 2018 plan a is Ryan tannehill. As it should be

A poster even brought up a revolutionary statistics concept by saying that middle 10 is just as good as end of top 10.

That's hardly revolutionary. Do you think it's impossible that QBs 8 through 10 in the league aren't meaningfully different from the next best 10? If you do think that's impossible, on what basis do you assert that?

Perhaps if you wrote a Adam Gase a persuasive enough letter, he'd be sufficiently impressed by your football acumen to be sure to draft one. Couldn't hurt, right?

Personal insults? That is all you could come up with?

That is not the offer that I have seen reported.

Would you be willing to rank Cousins ahead of everyone with a lower QB rating last two seasons? Luck? Carr? Newton? Roethlisberger?

Not really. A game manager is someone who rarely loses -- or wins -- games.
I'll just leave this here.
In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite relatively poor individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, performs well enough to win games.[1][2] Game managers often benefit from strong defense and rushing offense on their teams. The player is expected to not lose games with interceptions, fumbles, or poor decisions, particularly during important situations near the end of a game.[3][4]
The New York Times called it a "backhanded compliment".[5] The San Francisco Chronicle wrote, "As consolation ... Quarterbacks are called game managers only if they're winning."[6] The Associated Press opined, "But like any cliche, [game manager is] oversimplified". Former Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian laughed, "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about."[1] College coach Nick Saban added that "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager."[7] The Los Angeles Times noted that although Trent Dilfer was not an "elite" quarterback, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and Dilfer as a game manager.[4] Peyton Manning, who was a five-time NFL Most Valuable Player, transitioned into a game manager role with a defensive-oriented Denver Broncos squad in 2015, when he won his second championship and became the oldest quarterback at age 39 to win a Super Bowl.[8]

Bob Griese was a game manager and is in the hall of fame.
It's still a team sport.

In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who, despite relatively poor individual statistics such as passing yards and touchdowns, performs well enough to win games.[1][2] Game managers often benefit from strong defense and rushing offense on their teams. The player is expected to not lose games with interceptions, fumbles, or poor decisions, particularly during important situations near the end of a game.[3][4]
The New York Times called it a "backhanded compliment".[5] The San Francisco Chronicle wrote, "As consolation ... Quarterbacks are called game managers only if they're winning."[6] The Associated Press opined, "But like any cliche, [game manager is] oversimplified". Former Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian laughed, "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about."[1] College coach Nick Saban added that "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager."[7] The Los Angeles Times noted that although Trent Dilfer was not an "elite" quarterback, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and Dilfer as a game manager.[4] Peyton Manning, who was a five-time NFL Most Valuable Player, transitioned into a game manager role with a defensive-oriented Denver Broncos squad in 2015, when he won his second championship and became the oldest quarterback at age 39 to win a Super Bowl.[8]
well, Fiedler's out...

No offense to the person who posted the above, but I would really just relegate the concept of game manager to the first paragraph above, although I would replace the phrase "relatively poor individual statistics" with "average individual statistics."

With regard to the second paragraph above, there is no team nowadays that has a strong chance of winning a Super Bowl with something less than a game manager, but there are teams with QBs who not only manage games, but also win them. Those QBs are obviously different from the ones who can only manage them and rarely win them.

Bob Griese was a game manager and is in the hall of fame.
It's still a team sport.

That was a different era, however, when the game revolved far less around the pass, and the importance of the quarterback position was far less.

But you're right in that it's a team sport. The qualifier is that nowadays someone like Griese would have a very slim chance of winning a Super Bowl if he wasn't on a team with one of the best pass defenses in the league.

Back
Top Bottom