Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain

here's the way i have my board right now...at pick #12

1. dez bryant
2. rolando mcclain
3. joe haden (top 10 bpa...bottom line)
4. dan williams nt
5. brandon graham olb

now this could change after i get to see some cats in lb drills and what they run....ie derrick morgan, everson griffen...all these 4-3 ends to olb possible converts

jerry hughes looks so natural to me as standup and change of direction player it's not funny...definitely a top wolb prospect

right now i'm taking mcclain...all these conversion de to olbs make me nervous that high...at least til i see them in lb drills at the combine etc...i also have dan williams pretty high

if brandon graham looks like the 2nd coming in lb drills at the combine i might roll that way after mcclain...

based on the outcome i just posted, as of now i'd go with McClain, but like you said if Graham continues to prove at the combine and his pro day that he's the real deal, he might be worth the selection...

I'm not very familiar with dan williams but he seems to be a popular prospect for the fins ...

and obviously, as you know, i think JPP could be a wildcard pick...

right now i'm taking mcclain...all these conversion de to olbs make me nervous that high...at least til i see them in lb drills at the combine etc...i also have dan williams pretty high

if brandon graham looks like the 2nd coming in lb drills at the combine i might roll that way after mcclain...

Who was it that ran through some linebacker drills real quick during one of the NFL Network broadcasts that made Mike Nolan visibly mouth the word "Wow"?

Was that Brandon Graham?

Yet another reason to pencil Graham into that spot. To me I see Graham as an "all signs point to" kind of guy. I'm just not totally convinced he's the best option, but he's doing a LOT to work me over...having a great draft season.

here's the way i have my board right now...at pick #12

1. dez bryant
2. rolando mcclain
3. joe haden (top 10 bpa...bottom line)
4. dan williams nt
5. brandon graham olb

now this could change after i get to see some cats in lb drills and what they run....ie derrick morgan, everson griffen...all these 4-3 ends to olb possible converts

jerry hughes looks so natural to me as standup and change of direction player it's not funny...definitely a top wolb prospect

In the end I just can't help but think that a guy that can be physical and quick as Jerry Hughes is while banging around among bigger bodies, that has that SERIOUS pass rush ability of his, the outside rush, his head-up ability to read the play...I don't get it, I don't get why he's in the 2nd round right now. I know he's not great against the run. So what? He's not woeful either. He's the best pass rusher in the draft.

i go back to tape as the end all be all on these guys...

jpp is probably gonna light the combine on fire but i see real issues there at pick #12 off the tape i've seen...just not natural looking to me in his change of direction etc

graham i thought was a monster on tape and a monster at the senior bowl...but i don't think those tackles he destroyed in the game were anything to get excited about...that gives me pause slightly

dan williams i thought was dominant at the senior bowl...has a much much better motor and superior stamina on tape than cam thomas flows down the los well also...cam thomas on tape is a plugger...not worth pick #43 to me...that was the best i've ever seen cam thomas look at the senior bowl so just be aware the tape doesn't match that week of practice and senior bowl game...dan williams on tape while not always consistent was the far and away best looking nose i saw...well worth a top 15-20 pick to me...

i'm gonna dig into some everson griffen here shortly...lots of people who's opinion i value very high on him...

Who was it that ran through some linebacker drills real quick during one of the NFL Network broadcasts that made Mike Nolan visibly mouth the word "Wow"?

Was that Brandon Graham?

Yet another reason to pencil Graham into that spot. To me I see Graham as an "all signs point to" kind of guy. I'm just not totally convinced he's the best option, but he's doing a LOT to work me over...having a great draft season.

no it was antonio coleman...i heard cameron sheffield looked real good in lb drills also

In the end I just can't help but think that a guy that can be physical and quick as Jerry Hughes is while banging around among bigger bodies, that has that SERIOUS pass rush ability of his, the outside rush, his head-up ability to read the play...I don't get it, I don't get why he's in the 2nd round right now. I know he's not great against the run. So what? He's not woeful either. He's the best pass rusher in the draft.

i agree...the best pure pass rusher in the draft...

I have a very high opinion of Griffen. I've definitely kept him on radar for the #12 pick for a long time.

I've watched tape of Cam Thomas before. I did a lot of work on North Carolina before literally every single junior up and decided he's returning for another year. Especially a lot of work on Marvin Austin which put me watching the DL and seeing Cam Thomas a lot as well. I've got clips set up of him. There's definitely something there. It's not something that really grabs me hard but it's pure NFL strength and ability, just not "special" NFL strength and ability. Not sure who I'd compare it to, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Dan Williams is such a B.J. Raji for me. Raji was like a lower 1st round guy that went high because he was the best at a bad position. Williams is what Raji would have been if he were in this draft, which has genuine guys at the position. They both show up for some games and don't even bother to play other games. They both had dominant showings at times in the All Star practices, but I wouldn't say that Dan Williams dominated the game.

I totally agree on the senior bowl tackles though. Why Chris Scott got invited to that game after the week he had in Orlando is absolutely baffling. I could think of five guys that deserved it more. Truly a stupid move by whoever decided it.

no it was antonio coleman...i heard cameron sheffield looked real good in lb drills also

Two guys to keep a close eye on for Miami. Especially with Mike Nolan around.

In fact if Coleman looks good in linebacker drills then there is NO reason he should be rated as low as he is. At least no reason that I see.

BTW when I say that JPP might not have "the makeup" keep in mind I'm drawing that conclusion from a number of things.

1. Going to USF in the first place is usually a sign that you can't cut it academically elsewhere. I love South Florida but it's true.

2. He sounds dumb as a box of rocks when you hear him interviewed.

3. He plays dumb as a box of rocks at times.

4. I just recently heard that he's been missing some of his pre-Combine workout sessions because he's up at night partying. See above three.

The NFL would welcome another Simeon Rice with open arms, because of that MONSTER physical ability of his. But, I don't expect the NFL to take the next Simeon Rice and throw him in space and have him making linebacker and coverage reads.

I think he's got really good potential. He did well in pass protection against another raw physical specimen in Alex Carrington, and that guy had been lighting things up during the week if practice reports are to be believed. He struggled with Tyson Alualu in pass pro but I'll be damned if Tyson isn't just a high motor, hellish strong, quick and savvy guy that should be playing a long time in the NFL. At this early stage and with Jimmy being 259 lbs, I can see why that would be a mismatch. In run blocking I didn't see but maybe one usable instance of run blocking so the sample is woeful. On that particular play he did poorly but the sample is so small I don't know if you hold that too much against him, just one rep.
Pretty much What I saw as well. What round do you think he will go in? I personally see him going in the 3rd at the very latest and honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone took him in the 2nd either. Honestly I like both of Miami's TE's. I think Dedrick Epps cold turn out to be a very solid late draft pick.

He's running 4.47 in practice runs heading for the Combine. A 4.45 wouldn't surprise me. This is why I've not been talking about him at #12 as much. I just don't think he'll be there. He'll go to the Combine and run between a 4.45 and a 4.50, and he'll get taken in the top 10.

That's why he's not on my short list.

If any of the guys I've had as my top 5 for a long time could fall, it's C.J. Spiller.
I don't see Bryant nor McClain being available at 12 to be honest.

I have a very high opinion of Griffen. I've definitely kept him on radar for the #12 pick for a long time.

I've watched tape of Cam Thomas before. I did a lot of work on North Carolina before literally every single junior up and decided he's returning for another year. Especially a lot of work on Marvin Austin which put me watching the DL and seeing Cam Thomas a lot as well. I've got clips set up of him. There's definitely something there. It's not something that really grabs me hard but it's pure NFL strength and ability, just not "special" NFL strength and ability. Not sure who I'd compare it to, it's on the tip of my tongue.

Dan Williams is such a B.J. Raji for me. Raji was like a lower 1st round guy that went high because he was the best at a bad position. Williams is what Raji would have been if he were in this draft, which has genuine guys at the position. They both show up for some games and don't even bother to play other games. They both had dominant showings at times in the All Star practices, but I wouldn't say that Dan Williams dominated the game.

I totally agree on the senior bowl tackles though. Why Chris Scott got invited to that game after the week he had in Orlando is absolutely baffling. I could think of five guys that deserved it more. Truly a stupid move by whoever decided it.

you know you may be right on dan williams...the best of a bad crop of nt prospects...i won't lie...i'm so keen on finding a good nose for the future maybe i have overvalued him...something for me to think about...unfortunately i couldn't tape the senior bowl game and rewatch it and key williams like i would have liked to but for my eyes watching it live online it looked like he was a standout...

i was never all that top 10 high on raji last year either...and thought that his cohort that was drafted in round 2 was 1 dimensional and more a product of having raji get all the attention beside him...

Was that Brandon Graham?

another thing I'd put out about Graham after watching him for 4 years is that he is a leader. He made the switch from MLB to DE due to how he grew, and he embraced the change. Many considered him a 3 year player, but he was came back because he wanted to make sure Michigan was on the right path before he left. He had to play as a DE in a hybrid 3-4 defense without another consistent pass rusher, and was consistently held, doubled, and tripled team all season and still produced. As bad as our (Michigan) defense was, Graham made big plays when they needed to be made.

Much like Jake Long was (and to a lesser extent Chad Henne). Graham is one of those players that you just wish goes from your favorite college team to your favorite pro team. He's the type of player that, while talented, you know you never have to worry about him getting lazy. You know he's gonna bring the right attitude to your team, and you know he'll step up when needed.

Back
Top Bottom