Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniel Jeremiah on Rolando McClain

In the end I just can't help but think that a guy that can be physical and quick as Jerry Hughes is while banging around among bigger bodies, that has that SERIOUS pass rush ability of his, the outside rush, his head-up ability to read the play...I don't get it, I don't get why he's in the 2nd round right now. I know he's not great against the run. So what? He's not woeful either. He's the best pass rusher in the draft.
I agree. I keep seeing all these mocks with Jerry Hughes falling to the 2nd. I wish I could see it, but I can't.

BTW when I say that JPP might not have "the makeup" keep in mind I'm drawing that conclusion from a number of things.

1. Going to USF in the first place is usually a sign that you can't cut it academically elsewhere. I love South Florida but it's true.

2. He sounds dumb as a box of rocks when you hear him interviewed.

3. He plays dumb as a box of rocks at times.

4. I just recently heard that he's been missing some of his pre-Combine workout sessions because he's up at night partying. See above three.

The NFL would welcome another Simeon Rice with open arms, because of that MONSTER physical ability of his. But, I don't expect the NFL to take the next Simeon Rice and throw him in space and have him making linebacker and coverage reads.

:up:

and i didn't even know about the missing sessions and stuff...he also in interviews doesn't come across to me as a guy who loves the game...i think he loves the paycheck more than anything else...

no thanks

Pretty much What I saw as well. What round do you think he will go in? I personally see him going in the 3rd at the very latest and honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone took him in the 2nd either. Honestly I like both of Miami's TE's. I think Dedrick Epps cold turn out to be a very solid late draft pick.

Right now he's a 4th round value for me. Could definitely see him rise into the 3rd depending on his Combine performance. A 2nd round berth wouldn't be a shock but he would need to knock the Combine out of the park from medical testing to interviews (which he will absolutely knock out of the park) to his measurements and times, and especially his drills where he'll need to show more polish and improvement on his grasp of the little things. But this is a guy that picked up a football for the first time in like April and was already the best Tight End on his team by like November, so I mean...that's not inconceivable for him.

4th round value here as well...but i could definitely see a team who has an established te already and can afford to develop graham for a few years taking him in the 3rd...or a team that doesn't have nearly as many needs for quick impact players as we do...

4th round value to me for us...

What does that have to do with anything?

You're listening to a guy who use to be on the Browns. Look at their draft history for the past 10 years. It's worse than the Bills. If the guy had any pull within that organization you should just stop reading what he has to say right now. I know, some of you may think, well it's really up to the GM or coach who they draft. Yes, but they take a lot of their information from their scouts as to who to target. For example, years back when the Cowboys drafted Ware and Spears there was a story about how the 1st round went down for the Cowboys. With their 1st pick in the 1st round, Parcells was dead set on drafting Marcus Spears with that pick. Ireland, who was then head of scouting for the Cowboys was convinced that Spears would be available with their other 1st round pick and had to convince Parcells to Ware with that pick. Long story short, Parcells listened to Ireland and his report on Ware and took Ware with the 1st of their 2 1st round picks. Parcells was able to take Spears with their 2nd 1st round pick. Ware is an All-Star Pro and Spears is an ehhh player. So again, if the guy had any pull in the organization then he's semi accountable for the terrible drafts the Browns have had.

you know you may be right on dan williams...the best of a bad crop of nt prospects...i won't lie...i'm so keen on finding a good nose for the future maybe i have overvalued him...something for me to think about...unfortunately i couldn't tape the senior bowl game and rewatch it and key williams like i would have liked to but for my eyes watching it live online it looked like he was a standout...

i was never all that top 10 high on raji last year either...and thought that his cohort that was drafted in round 2 was 1 dimensional and more a product of having raji get all the attention beside him...

Hah! That's it, that's who Cam Thomas reminds me of a little bit. Ron Brace. :)

Anyway yeah it's a distinct possibility. I think that Suh and McCoy are just so good that we separate them from Dan Williams and the rest of the gang. But when you watch them more in relation to Dan, you start to see why maybe Dan Williams is not top 10 type stuff. Maybe.

The thing that bothered me about Raji is that even after absolutely NAILING practice sessions for the Senior Bowl, the guy didn't show up for the Senior Bowl game itself. As for Dan Williams, he had good plays and bad plays. On our latest Dave Hyde Blog, we talked about him some (Richard, not me) and there's an accompanying YouTube vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJT1-uqcik

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2010/02/breaking_down_the_dolphins_dra.html

another thing I'd put out about Graham after watching him for 4 years is that he is a leader. He made the switch from MLB to DE due to how he grew, and he embraced the change. Many considered him a 3 year player, but he was came back because he wanted to make sure Michigan was on the right path before he left. He had to play as a DE in a hybrid 3-4 defense without another consistent pass rusher, and was consistently held, doubled, and tripled team all season and still produced. As bad as our (Michigan) defense was, Graham made big plays when they needed to be made.

Much like Jake Long was (and to a lesser extent Chad Henne). Graham is one of those players that you just wish goes from your favorite college team to your favorite pro team. He's the type of player that, while talented, you know you never have to worry about him getting lazy. You know he's gonna bring the right attitude to your team, and you know he'll step up when needed.
I agree with all of this. I really, really like Graham's work ethic and willingness to do whatever he must to help the team. Can never have enough hard working, team player, leaders on your team.

another thing I'd put out about Graham after watching him for 4 years is that he is a leader. He made the switch from MLB to DE due to how he grew, and he embraced the change. Many considered him a 3 year player, but he was came back because he wanted to make sure Michigan was on the right path before he left. He had to play as a DE in a hybrid 3-4 defense without another consistent pass rusher, and was consistently held, doubled, and tripled team all season and still produced. As bad as our (Michigan) defense was, Graham made big plays when they needed to be made.

Much like Jake Long was (and to a lesser extent Chad Henne). Graham is one of those players that you just wish goes from your favorite college team to your favorite pro team. He's the type of player that, while talented, you know you never have to worry about him getting lazy. You know he's gonna bring the right attitude to your team, and you know he'll step up when needed.

He definitely has the makeup. We'll see at the Combine if he has the physical ability. And yeah I do think the Combine is important in this process. Having short arms, he needs to show that he's extremely mobile and very powerful.

You're listening to a guy who use to be on the Browns. Look at their draft history for the past 10 years. It's worse than the Bills. If the guy had any pull within that organization you should just stop reading what he has to say right now. I know, some of you may think, well it's really up to the GM or coach who they draft. Yes, but they take a lot of their information from their scouts as to who to target. For example, years back when the Cowboys drafted Ware and Spears there was a story about how the 1st round went down for the Cowboys. With their 1st pick in the 1st round, Parcells was dead set on drafting Marcus Spears with that pick. Ireland, who was then head of scouting for the Cowboys was convinced that Spears would be available with their other 1st round pick and had to convince Parcells to Ware with that pick. Long story short, Parcells listened to Ireland and his report on Ware and took Ware with the 1st of their 2 1st round picks. Parcells was able to take Spears with their 2nd 1st round pick. Ware is an All-Star Pro and Spears is an ehhh player. So again, if the guy had any pull in the organization then he's semi accountable for the terrible drafts the Browns have had.

Just because the Browns have had a bad draft history it doesn't mean that this guy is a bad scout. It's a whole group of people that make decisions. Randy Mueller was an above average GM/scout with Seattle and New Orleans, but he stunk here. Does that mean we wouldn't respect his opinions? He may have been in charge when we went 1-15, but he was also in charge when the Saints won their first playoff game ever. Rick Spielman as awful here, but he's put together some nice pieces for the Vikings (and not just Adrian Peterson).

Don't look at just where they worked. This guy is doing his own draft coverage, and he has inside info because of his past experiences, and also knows what to look for in a player

Right now he's a 4th round value for me. Could definitely see him rise into the 3rd depending on his Combine performance. A 2nd round berth wouldn't be a shock but he would need to knock the Combine out of the park from medical testing to interviews (which he will absolutely knock out of the park) to his measurements and times, and especially his drills where he'll need to show more polish and improvement on his grasp of the little things. But this is a guy that picked up a football for the first time in like April and was already the best Tight End on his team by like November, so I mean...that's not inconceivable for him.
I agree. A 3-4 round grade on him now is about right, but after interviews, combine, etc. will easily be a 3rd rounder and possibly 2nd rounder imo. Graham just has "it" when it comes to being a gifted athlete and pass catcher. I sure wouldn't mind Henne to have a huge target like Graham. Of course I'm somewhat biased as well.

No offense I just think that's a misguided way to view the situation. I don't even think the Browns have drafted tragically, if you asked me. I think they've not been run well. Anyway Daniel Jeremiah is a smart guy that knows what he's talking about and he's very in touch with a lot of other scouts who freely feed him their opinions. Highly valuable resource and I think it's wholly misguided to just toss him out with the garbage simply by virtue of your not liking the Browns.

He definitely has the makeup. We'll see at the Combine if he has the physical ability. And yeah I do think the Combine is important in this process. Having short arms, he needs to show that he's extremely mobile and very powerful.

I think Graham will do fine. I think he's more athletic than people give him credit for. Physically he is comparable to LaMarr Woodley, but watching both in college there are differences. Woodley was stronger, and relied more on a bull rush while Graham relies on speed and movement. Both were/are great players but they were different. A lot of people like to compare Graham to Dwight Freeney; he's not as fast as Freeney and is better against the run, but Graham's game is closer to Freeney than to Woodley's.

You can't take a Freeney comparison as a player unless:

1. You have a wicked spin move
2. You turn the corner exceptionally

I don't think Graham does either. He's inconsistent when trying to get small and turn the corner, I don't like his body flexibility, and I don't think he has a wicked spin move. You're right that there are differences between Graham and Woodley. Woodley couldn't touch Graham's mobility. On the other hand, I think Woodley was a more flexible and improvisational athlete. I haven't quite figured out a good comparison for Graham yet.

Any think Berry could drop? I've said it in other posts, but Safety just doesn't hold the value even if he is this good, at the top of the draft. The value is paying Qbs, Dts, and LTs.

1. St.Louis-Bradford-If shoulder checks out.
2. Detroit-Suh-easy pick
3. TB-McCoy- easy pick
4. Washington-Clausen-Shanny wants his own QB, skins wanted one last year. Big Name, don't take Berry cause they have a high pick in Landry
5. KC-Okung-Terrible LT now, help protect the 63 mil dollar man Cassel
6. Seattle-Bruce CampbellLT-This to me is the danger team on taking Berry because of their weak secondary plus Carroll likes Defense but Walter Jones being gone may push up Anthony Davis, which I'm hoping for.
7. Cleveland-Dez Bryant- They need some weapons, he runs under 4.5 and he's gone.
8. Oakland-Anthony Davis- They need a LT to help protect whoever is playing QB.
9. Buffalo-Brian Baluga-Have no LT at all, Chan wants to at leats protect his crappy Qbs. Afeter baluga, big dropoff in talent. More important then Safety position to this team currently and they have Byrd
10. Jax-Morgan or Haden-Need someone who can create pressure or play opposite Mathis in the South when they play Peyton or SCahub. They could take Berry to help this out.
11. Den-Dan Williams- They want a NT, Dan is going to be it, have Good safeties.

12. Dolphins-Berry- I can dream right??

I do see this scenario as potentially happening but I also see a team trading up before us to grab him if he does somehow fall. The two teams who may value him are Seattle or Jacksonville that are ahead of us. I think the other teams ahead of us, no matter how good he is as a player, may find better value for their money in taking other players.

Todays big dream, Berry drops to 12

Back
Top Bottom