Did the light go on for Harris last night? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the light go on for Harris last night?

One thing last year that was repeated was the fact we were going to press the hell out of you and dominate the line and go after the qb. Then the lights come on and we play primarily off man schemes that left so much cushion that completely negated our rush.

More Hype than substance
1998 Dolphins defense ranked 3rd in total defense
1999 dolphins ranked 5th in total defense and 5th passing defense
2000 dolphins ranked 6th in total defense and 5th passing defense
2001 dolphins ranked 5th in total defense and 1 in passing defense
2002 dolphins ranked 3rd in total defense and 5th in rushing defense
2003 dolphins ranked 10 in total defense
2004 dolphins ranked 8 in total defense and 2nd in passing defense
2005 dolphins ranked 18th in total defense

If hype produces these type of results - 1998 to 2004 than I will spend every waking moment hyping this team up. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady worst games came against the Dolphins during this time period.

Those defenses were good, but not great, and certainly not any type of league leading "shut down" type of defense. As Dolphin fans we remember them fondly, but that is only because of how poorly we have played for the past few decades. You can't compare those defenses to the current/recent Seattle defenses.

In all of the years you mentioned we only made the playoffs half of those years. Bounced in the wild card round once, and the division round the other three years. JJ did some nice things as the coach here, couple of really nice defensive drafts, but was pretty bad drafting the other side of the ball, ESPECIALLY RB and WR. We took Yatil Green before we took Madison and JT, and took John f'ing Avery before we took Surtain and Mixon, so it wasn't all puppy dogs and rainbows back then.

Jimmy Johnson was a good coach, but my lasting memory of him is his last game when J-Ville hung sixty something points on us and our defense made Fred Taylor look like Superman.

Those defenses were good, but not great, and certainly not any type of league leading "shut down" type of defense. As Dolphin fans we remember them fondly, but that is only because of how poorly we have played for the past few decades. You can't compare those defenses to the current/recent Seattle defenses.

In all of the years you mentioned we only made the playoffs half of those years. Bounced in the wild card round once, and the division round the other three years. JJ did some nice things as the coach here, couple of really nice defensive drafts, but was pretty bad drafting the other side of the ball, ESPECIALLY RB and WR. We took Yatil Green before we took Madison and JT, and took John f'ing Avery before we took Surtain and Mixon, so it wasn't all puppy dogs and rainbows back then.

Jimmy Johnson was a good coach, but my lasting memory of him is his last game when J-Ville hung sixty something points on us and our defense made Fred Taylor look like Superman.
You mean Lamar Thomas, JJ johnson, KARIM Abdul Jabbar etc weren't studs? Our best skill player was a guy who came from the arena league. Loved Gadsden but he was not exactly a no 1 receiver. Good defensive drafting and mediocre offensive drafting.

Fred was an excellent back. It was the fact we made Jay Fiedler look like Dan Marino in this game that hurt us for years to come.

One thing last year that was repeated was the fact we were going to press the hell out of you and dominate the line and go after the qb. Then the lights come on and we play primarily off man schemes that left so much cushion that completely negated our rush.

The option for press coverage is nullified by our lack of ability to stop the run. If the front 7 (primarily the LB unit with our attack philosophy) is unable to provide amble run defense then we have to put 8 in the box with our SS. Once that happens we have to play off and Cover 3 variants to prevent getting torched over the top.

Just wanted to address the bolded part...

Not even close to the worst in franchise history. Yards given up is a horrible way to measure that defense. And actually, we were better in the clutch defensively than some of those ZT/JT squads if we want to get real.

Hate the scheme if you want, but the defense did enough for us last season with verrrrrryyyyyy limited talent.

With any stat you have to be literal. We literally had the worst defense yardage wise in our history. I don't remember every clutch situation with Zach and JT but we really shouldn't compare that (impossible to measure). I've always agreed that we got killed with injuries and I think that alone could help improve our D. Trust me, I don't complain about D talent from last year or this year (read the messages from the start you'll see lol). We were ravaged. I don't even hate the scheme. I just want one that works lol I hate giving up the most yards in franchise history under that scheme and most the same players. If that Zach/Jt team had our Offense, we would be going deep into the playoffs. Didn't the Pats have the best scoring D?

With any stat you have to be literal. We literally had the worst defense yardage wise in our history. I don't remember every clutch situation with Zach and JT but we really shouldn't compare that (impossible to measure). I've always agreed that we got killed with injuries and I think that alone could help improve our D. Trust me, I don't complain about D talent from last year or this year (read the messages from the start you'll see lol). We were ravaged. I don't even hate the scheme. I just want one that works lol I hate giving up the most yards in franchise history under that scheme and most the same players. If that Zach/Jt team had our Offense, we would be going deep into the playoffs. Didn't the Pats have the best scoring D?

They did. Allowed only 250 pts (15.6 pts/g). Next closest wasn't even close with the Giants allowing 284.

Fred was an excellent back. It was the fact we made Jay Fiedler look like Dan Marino in this game that hurt us for years to come.

Don't get me wrong, Fred Taylor was a stud, I think he deserves to be in the HOF. Even with that being said, in that playoff game our defense made him look supernatural, broke so many tackles, ran by so many of our guys, it was really incredible to watch. Sad to watch actually, even sadder in retrospect knowing that was Danny boy's last game, was not his best effort.

Don't get me wrong, Fred Taylor was a stud, I think he deserves to be in the HOF. Even with that being said, in that playoff game our defense made him look supernatural, broke so many tackles, ran by so many of our guys, it was really incredible to watch. Sad to watch actually, even sadder in retrospect knowing that was Danny boy's last game, was not his best effort.
IIR, Fred went 80 yards for a TD on the first play from scrimmage. That game was an abomination.

I like your last question - measuring that defense by a more USEFUL measure... our scoring defense was 19th against... and considering how bad our talent/depth was, I would say it was our coaching (dare I say scheming?) that got us a result that most would agree is better than the talent (aka, we had 25-30th ranked defensive talent but managing 19th is a success).

Back
Top Bottom