ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East

I think 8 more reg season wins over the last 3 seasons and 4 more playoff wins tells us we were MUCH better.

That is the operative word.

The Jets have the best D in the division, on paper Buffalo has improved greatly so I can understand to Walkers point. Although Walker is incorrect about Taylor being the leader, the Fins don't have a pass rush other then Wake, still don't have a proven answer at FS, need to fill Bells spot and only have one solid boundary corner. Add in that they will be changing systems and it's easy to be skeptical.
Dolphins have a better defense than the Bills, even if they added Mario Williams.
Vanity is definitely my favorite sin.

Men, we're in May and there's a lot of time to adjust defenses.

On Mr. Walker, well we have to understand he tends to be a hurrah boy for Tom Brady, but this time he placed them last. Accepting both of their first rounders could be not enough to fix one of the worst defense in the league.

That said, Jets have one of the best defenses in the NFL, so I have no doubt why Walker tagged them as number 1 in the division.
If Bills can come together as a unit and make good usage of their talent they can become a lethal force. But that's an important "IF".
Dolphins have similar question marks because we have several spots to be filled and a new defensive scheme, so there's no offense on tagging our defense as 3rd in the division.

news flash, the pats D is prob better than ours too.
Could be, but only if their rookies can clinch into NFL speed in the short term.

Okay a couple of things:

Cassell went 11-5 in 08; beating him and his Pats as a legitimate passport into the playoffs is a helluva lot more impressive than losing in 09 to Peyton and the starters in a tad over 1.5 games by a score of something like 45-27 than beating Curtis Painter with a 4GPA for a free backdoor pass into the playoffs.

In 08, game 16 meant as much to the Jest as the Fins. Maybe not so much if it was in Miami, but in front of the home town fans, having an opportunity to turn in a respectable season with the win, to be the spoiler of their arch enemy in front of their fans, to save Mangini's job and to ramp up enthusiasm going into the next season for Woody's slow moving high priced personal seat licenses. All very important reasons to win that game!

More on the absence of Brady: yeah it was lucky but still the other guy won 11 games. Brady came back gunshy to start the 09 season, would have lost game 1 to Buffalo if not for a McKelvin brainfart and just barely lost game 2 to the jest 16-9 but then when Brady did get over the fear of reinjury and his sealegs under him in game 10, they pummelled the Jest 31-14 so the same argument can be made that the only reason the jest were even a position to receive what could be the most egregious charity in the history of the league was because when they faced the Pats in game 2, Brady was barely there pitching an uncharacteristically terrible game, und
er .500 completion, zero TDs, 1 Int, and a little over 200 yds.

Certainly for a team whose clueless HC after losing a game they actually needed to win at home to Atlanta, a dead team walking in 09 to stay alive, termed the season as over. But after that Curtis Painter style charity, it did turn out that where there's life there is hope and that hope springs eternal. Anyone who doesn't believe that the ''11 jest didn't think that all the stars would again align with a good chance to step back in $hit and wouldn't be playing their hardest to stay alive is deluding themselves.

Yes, the jest have had a better recent record of success than the Fins, but they went 4-5 to close the season including the spoiler to us vs our closing out at 6-3, so I wouldn't bet the farm that they're gonna end up better than the Fins - or Buffalo for that matter considering their 2 QBs. Still and all, with all this talk of conference championships games (and of course losses), it's interesting to note that even going back to the pre-merger version of the Superbowl, the jest have never won more than 2 games in any offseason. :idk:

It was not the same both years. In 2008, NE had already beaten Buff in the early game before the Dolphins / Jets even played the game. The Jets were already out of it going into the Dolphins game at 4:15pm. NE had already knocked them out. In 2011, the Jets were still alive during the Miami game. They lost to the Dolphins before any of the other games ended. It didn't matter what else happened after the Jets lost to Miami. The Dolphins had already knocked them out. It has nothing to do with making me feel better, it has to do with the facts. None of the other games mattered after Miami beat the Jets first. I guess it makes you feel better to know that you would have missed the playoffs anyways since Houston lost by 1 point after the Jets did. :lol:

Actually Baltimore was playing at the same time as the Jets and dolphins so it was the exact same thing w/ less teams involved. The odds were better needing only 1 team to lose in 2008 than needing 4-5 to lose in 2011.

I think 8 more reg season wins over the last 3 seasons and 4 more playoff wins tells us we were MUCH better.

That is the operative word.

Yep we were but it looks like that will continue to be the case, we'll find out soon enough.

Okay a couple of things:

Cassell went 11-5 in 08; beating him and his Pats as a legitimate passport into the playoffs is a helluva lot more impressive than losing in 09 to Peyton and the starters in a tad over 1.5 games by a score of something like 45-27 than beating Curtis Painter with a 4GPA for a free backdoor pass into the playoffs.

In 08, game 16 meant as much to the Jest as the Fins. Maybe not so much if it was in Miami, but in front of the home town fans, having an opportunity to turn in a respectable season with the win, to be the spoiler of their arch enemy in front of their fans, to save Mangini's job and to ramp up enthusiasm going into the next season for Woody's slow moving high priced personal seat licenses. All very important reasons to win that game!

More on the absence of Brady: yeah it was lucky but still the other guy won 11 games. Brady came back gunshy to start the 09 season, would have lost game 1 to Buffalo if not for a McKelvin brainfart and just barely lost game 2 to the jest 16-9 but then when Brady did get over the fear of reinjury and his sealegs under him in game 10, they pummelled the Jest 31-14 so the same argument can be made that the only reason the jest were even a position to receive what could be the most egregious charity in the history of the league was because when they faced the Pats in game 2, Brady was barely there pitching an uncharacteristically terrible game, und
er .500 completion, zero TDs, 1 Int, and a little over 200 yds.

Certainly for a team whose clueless HC after losing a game they actually needed to win at home to Atlanta, a dead team walking in 09 to stay alive, termed the season as over. But after that Curtis Painter style charity, it did turn out that where there's life there is hope and that hope springs eternal. Anyone who doesn't believe that the ''11 jest didn't think that all the stars would again align with a good chance to step back in $hit and wouldn't be playing their hardest to stay alive is deluding themselves.

Yes, the jest have had a better recent record of success than the Fins, but they went 4-5 to close the season including the spoiler to us vs our closing out at 6-3, so I wouldn't bet the farm that they're gonna end up better than the Fins - or Buffalo for that matter considering their 2 QBs. Still and all, with all this talk of conference championships games (and of course losses), it's interesting to note that even going back to the pre-merger version of the Superbowl, the jest have never won more than 2 games in any offseason. :idk:

Cassell was 10-5 as a starter and much of that was due to playing such a creampuff schedule.

We didn't have as much on the line as Miami, we had bloown our chance at a bye then the div and then the WC in the weeks leading up to the Miami game. If we beat Miami all that would have changed was NE winning the div instead of Miami.

It turned out ok that we lost and Mangini was fired, wouldn't you say?

again, the scheds were as easy as I have seen in my lifetime. That was why all of us won 9 to 11 games and Buffalo won 7

In 2009 NE won 6 of their first 8, of their first 4 they lost just once- to us. yes they beat us up later just like they beat us up the 2nd game in 2010- how did the rematch in the playoffs work out?

The bottom line is this:

2009-2011

NY Jets 28-20
2 playoff apps
4 playoff wins
2 title game apps

Miami 20-28
ZERO playoff apps

which is better?

i dont believe theres that much of a gap between the dolphins and jets,matter of fact last yr,i thought we had a better defense the 2nd half of the season

Actually Baltimore was playing at the same time as the Jets and dolphins so it was the exact same thing w/ less teams involved. The odds were better needing only 1 team to lose in 2008 than needing 4-5 to lose in 2011.

I forgot that the Jets still could have clinched a WC spot if Bal had lost to the Jags. In that case, it would depend on which game was over first. If Miami beat the Jets before the Ravens beat the Jags, then the Dolphins also knocked the Jets out in 08. :D Thanks for pointing that out.

Why does the number of teams the Jets needed to lose in 2011 keep increasing? It wasn't 4 or 5 teams, it was 3 which were all very real possibilities. I like the odds of Houston beating the Titans, Baltimore beating the Bengals, and the Chargers beating the Raiders more than I like the odds of the Bills (7-8) beating NE, or the Jags (5-10) beating the Ravens in 08. Yes, the Jets needed 2 more teams to lose in 2011 than they did in 2008, but the odds were just as good, if not better becasue of the matchups. None of it mattered since the Dolphins beat the Jets first. At least in 2011 that was the case. I don't remember if the Bal game ended before or after the Jets loss in 08.

Yep we were but it looks like that will continue to be the case, we'll find out soon enough.

Cassell was 10-5 as a starter and much of that was due to playing such a creampuff schedule.

We didn't have as much on the line as Miami, we had bloown our chance at a bye then the div and then the WC in the weeks leading up to the Miami game. If we beat Miami all that would have changed was NE winning the div instead of Miami.

again, the scheds were as easy as I have seen in my lifetime. That was why all of us won 9 to 11 games and Buffalo won 7

In 2009 NE won 6 of their first 8, of their first 4 they lost just once- to us. yes they beat us up later just like they beat us up the 2nd game in 2010- how did the rematch in the playoffs work out?

The bottom line is this:

2009-2011

NY Jets 28-20
2 playoff apps
4 playoff wins
2 title game apps

Miami 20-28
ZERO playoff apps

Jets: failed to spoil Fins divisional title claim 08
Fins: spoiled any chance going in of another jets backdoor post season entry

which is better?

Fins: 2008 -2011: 31-33, 1 Divisional Title, 1 legitimate playoff entry
Jets: 2008- 2011: 35-27-2, ZERO Divisional Titles, 1 legitimate playoff entry, 2wins

Fins: spoiled any chance going in of another jets backdoor post season entry '11

Fins: 5 post merger, (3 victory) postseasons Conference Championships and SB appearances, 2 wins
Jets: no post merger Conference Championships or SB appearances, Zero wins

I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's undeserved.

I forgot that the Jets still could have clinched a WC spot if Bal had lost to the Jags. In that case, it would depend on which game was over first. If Miami beat the Jets before the Ravens beat the Jags, then the Dolphins also knocked the Jets out in 08. :D Thanks for pointing that out.

Why does the number of teams the Jets needed to lose in 2011 keep increasing? It wasn't 4 or 5 teams, it was 3 which were all very real possibilities. I like the odds of Houston beating the Titans, Baltimore beating the Bengals, and the Chargers beating the Raiders more than I like the odds of the Bills (7-8) beating NE, or the Jags (5-10) beating the Ravens in 08. Yes, the Jets needed 2 more teams to lose in 2011 than they did in 2008, but the odds were just as good, if not better becasue of the matchups. None of it mattered since the Dolphins beat the Jets first. At least in 2011 that was the case. I don't remember if the Bal game ended before or after the Jets loss in 08.

we needed to win
Ten lose to Hou
Cin lose to Bal
Oak OR Den lose

The "or" part got me but we still needed 3 of 4 teams to lose.

Oak was playing a medicore SD team and Den a mediocre KC team. Only Cincy was a lock to lose that day .

Fins: 2008 -2011: 31-33, 1 Divisional Title, 1 legitimate playoff entry
Jets: 2008- 2011: 35-27-2, ZERO Divisional Titles, 1 legitimate playoff entry, 2wins

Fins: spoiled any chance going in of another jets backdoor post season entry '11

Fins: 5 post merger, (3 victory) postseasons Conference Championships and SB appearances, 2 wins
Jets: no post merger Conference Championships or SB appearances, Zero wins

I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's undeserved.

2008 Miami was legitimate despite facing 5-6 dead teams to end the season, winning a div in a season w.o Brady and facing one of the easiest scheds of all time then getting humiliated at home in the WC rd at HOME while the Jets '09 was not legit b/c they got a qtr and a half of backups vs. Indy then made the playoffs winning TWO road games(inclduing beating the hottest team in the league on the div rd) and holding a 2nd half lead int he AFC Championship game.

I don't care about the 70s, you ca take your delorean back in time and celebrate.

The bottom line is this:

2009-2011

NY Jets 28-20
2 playoff apps
4 playoff wins
2 title game apps

Miami 20-28
ZERO playoff apps

which is better?

Don't we do this fight over records and playoff **** once a week? Pretty annoying, especially since the threads have nothing to do with what the fight always comes down too

we needed to win
Ten lose to Hou
Cin lose to Bal
Oak OR Den lose

The "or" part got me but we still needed 3 of 4 teams to lose.

Oak was playing a medicore SD team and Den a mediocre KC team. Only Cincy was a lock to lose that day .

They were not locks to win, but Hou, SD and Bal had a really good shot at beating the Titans, Bengals, and Raiders. All but the Texans won, and they only lost by 1 point. You have to admit the odds were just as good if not better than the Jags losing to Bal, or NE losing to Buff in 08. Those teams the Jets needed to lose were pretty much locks to win in 08 as opposed the the teams in 2011.

2008 Miami was legitimate despite facing 5-6 dead teams to end the season, winning a div in a season w.o Brady and facing one of the easiest scheds of all time then getting humiliated at home in the WC rd at HOME while the Jets '09 was not legit b/c they got a qtr and a half of backups vs. Indy then made the playoffs winning TWO road games(inclduing beating the hottest team in the league on the div rd) and holding a 2nd half lead int he AFC Championship game.

I don't care about the 70s, you ca take your delorean back in time and celebrate.

It wouldn't matter if the jest weren't outscored in those 6 plus quarters or so 45-27 including 24 unanswered points in 31 minutes when the Colts were actually trying. Removes any doubt that the team who barely beat completion with a winning record of about .310, squeaked by a still very shaky gun shy Brady in game 2 before he destroyed you in game 10, losing 6 out of 7 recent games, not beating the one team at home they should have was in actuality the same 7-7 team the Fins were who well could have gone on to win games 15 and 16 in the same manner and then stomp the walking dead Cinci. As I said, I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's so obviously not!!! So yes, I'll drive my classic DeLorean while you're still waiting for Scotty's to beam you up.

They were not locks to win, but Hou, SD and Bal had a really good shot at beating the Titans, Bengals, and Raiders. All but the Texans won, and they only lost by 1 point. You have to admit the odds were just as good if not better than the Jags losing to Bal, or NE losing to Buff in 08. Those teams the Jets needed to lose were pretty much locks to win in 08 as opposed the the teams in 2011.

I thought all would lose except Ten, that was the one game I was worried about and it turned out to b a good thing that we lost b/c if we won and then saw Hou lose the way they did it would have been much tougher to take.

Either way the Jets blew their seasons in the weeks leading up to week 17.

It wouldn't matter if the jest weren't outscored in those 6 plus quarters or so 45-27 including 24 unanswered points in 31 minutes when the Colts were actually trying. Removes any doubt that the team who barely beat completion with a winning record of about .310, squeaked by a still very shaky gun shy Brady in game 2 before he destroyed you in game 10, losing 6 out of 7 recent games, not beating the one team at home they should have was in actuality the same 7-7 team the Fins were who well could have gone on to win games 15 and 16 in the same manner and then stomp the walking dead Cinci. As I said, I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's so obviously not!!! So yes, I'll drive my classic DeLorean while you're still waiting for Scotty's to beam you up.

you can skew any way you want but the Jets were trailing 15-10 midway through the 3rd when Manning and co. came out, in the title game the Jets LED in the 2nd half and trailed by only 3 in the 4th at one point.

Heres a guy who is bragging about getting to the Conference final twice and LOSING...lol Have you ever heard a Bills fan bragging about losing 4 straight SBs. lol only a Jets fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a guy who is bragging about getting to the Conference final twice and LOSING...lol Have you ever heard a Bills fan bragging about losing 4 straight SBs. lol only a Jets fan.

Bills fans have this little thing called pride...

Back
Top Bottom