ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN James Walker: Fins have 3rd best defense........in the AFC East

I thought all would lose except Ten, that was the one game I was worried about and it turned out to b a good thing that we lost b/c if we won and then saw Hou lose the way they did it would have been much tougher to take.

Either way the Jets blew their seasons in the weeks leading up to week 17.

you can skew any way you want but the Jets were trailing 15-10 midway through the 3rd when Manning and co. came out, in the title game the Jets LED in the 2nd half and trailed by only 3 in the 4th at one point.

Yeah, the only problem with that is you were outscored 45-27 when the Colts actually cared how the game came out and with Painter and his 4QBR on the bench. Peyton: game 15: 14-21, 192yds; Peyton Conference title: 26-39, 377 yds, 3TDs 0 ints. It would have been a nice, maybe even a semi believable narrative, no matter how bad a team you were going into game 15, if only someone else beat the Colts so you didn't have to lose to them so convincingly when it most counted :idk:

Looking back 4 games to game 12, Indy when trying actually averaged over 31 pts/game , jest managed a little over 17pts/game...exactly what you scored vs the Colts in the conference game. How consistent is that?

If you want to have your head in the sand thinking that the outcome of game 15 would have been any different than the last quarter and half of the Conference Title game, then have at it. But for most of us, any claims of legitimate admission into the post season is accompanied by the same kind of asterisk* attached to most of Jose Canseco's slugging records. For anyone who actually thinks, based on how mediocre the jest team was wire to wire before the charity, factoring in the colts starters performance in game 15 and then compounding that with the drubbing they gave they jest in the Conference Title game, that the jest stood a ghost of chance winning game 15 if the starters weren't pulled, well then, I have a shiny bridge that spans the East River I can sell you at a closeout price.

15-10 through 2 1/2 qtrs in reg season game

17-13 lead at half in title game
trailing by only 3 w/ under 10 mins to play

15-10 through 2 1/2 qtrs in reg season game

17-13 lead at half in title game
trailing by only 3 w/ under 10 mins to play

24- ZERO final 31 minutes; 45-27 when Colts starters inserted. Colts 31+avg ppg, jest 17ppg- games 12-15, j

I love how you say I spin:lol:

clear.gif

I love how you think you don't

I thought all would lose except Ten, that was the one game I was worried about and it turned out to b a good thing that we lost b/c if we won and then saw Hou lose the way they did it would have been much tougher to take.

Either way the Jets blew their seasons in the weeks leading up to week 17.

The Jets blew their chance to control their own destiny in the weeks leading up to week 17. They still had a decent shot at getting in with some help, so the Miami game was still very important. It turned out to not matter since Hou lost anyways, but it is not like the Jets knew that when they were playing the Dolphins. It was the opposite. The Texans / Titans game was very close all the way to the end, so if they were watching the scoreboard, they would have known that they still had a shot at the playoffs.

The Hou / Tenn game was tied at 16 with 4:33 in the 4th when the Jets were losing to the Dolphins 19 to 10 with 2:32 left in their game. It wasn't like the Ravens / Jags game in 08 where they knew the Jags had no shot since that game was pretty much over at half time. The point is, the Jets still thought they had a shot if they could win, but instead they played like they had the previous 2 weeks and didn't even give themselves a chance to get some help. Since the Dolphins game ended before any of the other games were over, it was the Dolphins who knocked the Jets out of the playoffs, because at that point it didn't matter what else happened in the other games. The Jets had lost.

Actually Baltimore was playing at the same time as the Jets and dolphins so it was the exact same thing w/ less teams involved. The odds were better needing only 1 team to lose in 2008 than needing 4-5 to lose in 2011.

Yep we were but it looks like that will continue to be the case, we'll find out soon enough.

Cassell was 10-5 as a starter and much of that was due to playing such a creampuff schedule.

We didn't have as much on the line as Miami, we had bloown our chance at a bye then the div and then the WC in the weeks leading up to the Miami game. If we beat Miami all that would have changed was NE winning the div instead of Miami.

It turned out ok that we lost and Mangini was fired, wouldn't you say?

again, the scheds were as easy as I have seen in my lifetime. That was why all of us won 9 to 11 games and Buffalo won 7

In 2009 NE won 6 of their first 8, of their first 4 they lost just once- to us. yes they beat us up later just like they beat us up the 2nd game in 2010- how did the rematch in the playoffs work out?

The bottom line is this:

2009-2011

NY Jets 28-20
2 playoff apps
4 playoff wins
2 title game apps

Miami 20-28
ZERO playoff apps

which is better?

Why are you clowns still arguing about this? The Jets have been better than the Dolphins the last three years. The ELITE years in your eyes.

What's the point? The Dolphins have been a ****ty team for a few years now. Comparing your almighty elite team to the Dolphins is pointless.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

It wouldn't matter if the jest weren't outscored in those 6 plus quarters or so 45-27 including 24 unanswered points in 31 minutes when the Colts were actually trying. Removes any doubt that the team who barely beat completion with a winning record of about .310, squeaked by a still very shaky gun shy Brady in game 2 before he destroyed you in game 10, losing 6 out of 7 recent games, not beating the one team at home they should have was in actuality the same 7-7 team the Fins were who well could have gone on to win games 15 and 16 in the same manner and then stomp the walking dead Cinci. As I said, I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's so obviously not!!! So yes, I'll drive my classic DeLorean while you're still waiting for Scotty's to beam you up.

I don't get why you're still going on about this. It was 2-3 years ago. You know Junc will never budge from his stance.

I still take Dolphins over Bills, but Williams is an absolute beast. Wish we would have went for him.

Fins: 2008 -2011: 31-33, 1 Divisional Title, 1 legitimate playoff entry
Jets: 2008- 2011: 35-27-2, ZERO Divisional Titles, 1 legitimate playoff entry, 2wins

Jets: failed to spoil Fins divisional title claim 08
Fins: spoiled any chance going in of another jets backdoor post season entry '11

Fins: 5 post merger, (3 victory) postseasons Conference Championships and SB appearances, 2 wins
Jets: no post merger Conference Championships or SB appearances, Zero wins

I'll give credit where it's due, but not where it's undeserved.

There's nothing wrong with liking your team but facts are facts. The NYJ have had more recent success than the Dolphins. Both teams haven't been to the SB in 40+ years. It's like two red-headed ra-tards fighting each other over a quarter.

There's nothing wrong with liking your team but facts are facts. The NYJ have had more recent success than the Dolphins. Both teams haven't been to the SB in 40+ years. It's like two red-headed ra-tards fighting each other over a quarter.

My problem is taking credit for what any student in a Logic 101 class would tell you was at best an 8-8 season capping off a mediocre if not even worse year if Peyton and the starters had not been removed, yet trying to spin it into some bogus claims of elitism as if you say it enough and logical people will be brainwashed to believe it as true. :idk:

Right now whatever the likes of Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Manny Ramirez among many others have accomplished require asterisks* because it's unlikely those wouldn't have happened if not for outside assistance. If you're a purist, you honor Hank Aaron as still the undisputed home run king, not Bonds. In the same way the jest would have been sitting at home, or even watching the Fins in the playoffs if that unusual bit of luck fell in our direction. Either way, they do not warrant any recognition other than "congratulations, you stepped in **** and now STFU and consider yourself lucky for the extra ride."

We needed 4-5 teams to lose, as it turned out all except 1 did lose but the odds were against us much like 2008. you guys like to think you ended our seasons each time but in reality you didn't.

You had to beat us for any of that other stuff to even matter, you didn’t, so we did in fact end your season.

It doesn't hurt b/c we have been the much better team,
Getting beat by us in head-to-head matchups makes you the better team? That must be New York logic.

the difference btw 2-4 the last 3 years to 3-3 was 3 non offensive TDs in the '09 game at home. How come you leave out the '08 opener and only use the 2nd game from '08?
You claimed you were the better “team”, offense and special teams aren’t part of the team? If you want we can just look at since Rex took over, does losing 4 of 6 really make you feel much better?

Domination is 8-0 like the Jets were against Miami from '98-'01, not 5-3 like Miami has gone against us the last 4 seasons.
Wow, you have to go back over ten years to feel good about the series?

than sweep them and suck.
What about not sweeping us and still sucking like last season? :p

Did you go through all the teams and remove their O/STs pts allowed? how would you know?

Did you when you said they were ranked 12[SUP]th[/SUP] or did you leave all of that in for the other teams to stack the deck? The only fair way to do it is leave it as it is and don’t make any excuses, you guys were 20[SUP]th[/SUP] in points allowed.

according to logic, show me a great D that started 0-7? great D's will find a way to get some wins. Your D was average as was ours.

Easy, the 2011 Miami Dolphins Defense. We did find a way to get wins, we got six of them, one ending your season.
Our D gave up 20.4 PPG and our D wasn't playing meaningless games the last 10 weeks.

You just prove my point every time you make this silly argument, your team had everything to play for and our team had nothing to play for and yet our defense was better than yours. Not only were they a more talented group but they also obviously had more heart.

post some evidence.
Miami – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] in scoring D, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in Total D
New York- 1[SUP]st[/SUP] in Total D, 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in Scoring D

That’s all the evidence I need, Miami was the best defense in the division.

hard to argue with the contention our D isn't elite. They're good but they're no shut down D. Still think they're much better than Buffalo though

FYI John Clayton reported late last season that Mike Nolan lost his play calling duties and/or game planning halfway through the season to Todd Bowles. Not sure if its true but it does make sense.

I also believe that Mike Nolan underachieved with the players we had on defense. Its not all his fault, but he needs to be held accountable.

Brain fart...where is Bowles now?

i believe our D will look promising. With Dansby back in the 4-3, R. Marshall adding some more toughness and competition at nickle, and more speed at S, i could see our pass D improved. Bell was good against the run, but a liability against the pass. Personally, i like our front 4 with Odrick, Starks, Soliai and Wake. We can kick odrick inside with Starks and bring in Vernon on passing downs.

We need to cover TEs. We have had the same problem for many seasons now, and is even more magnified with TEs such as Gronk, Hernandez, Keller, etc that we will be facing.

Brain fart...where is Bowles now?

i believe our D will look promising. With Dansby back in the 4-3, R. Marshall adding some more toughness and competition at nickle, and more speed at S, i could see our pass D improved. Bell was good against the run, but a liability against the pass. Personally, i like our front 4 with Odrick, Starks, Soliai and Wake. We can kick odrick inside with Starks and bring in Vernon on passing downs.

We need to cover TEs. We have had the same problem for many seasons now, and is even more magnified with TEs such as Gronk, Hernandez, Keller, etc that we will be facing.

In regards to Bell, that's exactly why the Dolphins didn't show interest in retaining him. He has been a liability in pass protection for a while now. Fantastic tackler but TEs and slot guys ate him up. There's no guarantee at his replacement, which makes people uneasy, but there should be better coverage skills there. How much better remains to be seen.

Our corners I like. Vontae is legit. Smith is good in coverage and a pretty bad tackler, unless he plans on beefing up this off season. We'll see.

Resigning Soliai was HUGE. Extending Wake was HUGE. I like the defensive line. Hopefully Vernon can be a good pressure player.

Linebackers are good. Dansby should be fine if we trend back to a 4-3.

Back
Top Bottom