Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

Progression from the start of the year to the end. Go watch the Arizona game, he was hitting his stride and looked as good as anybody in the league. Some people quickly forget.

Agreed. Even the Baltimore game
those were two good games. The buzz saw in Baltimore was the litmus test for me, combined with average numbers in the other games. He did single-handedly beat the Rams. But overall not very transcending

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. In Baltimore One INT was a beautiful TD pass that the CB ripped away from the WR. Another was a tipped ball that is caught 99 times out of 100.

I do remember Tannehill missing one or two throws that killed drives, but lack of a running game killed the Phins that game.

I'm sorry but his inconsistency issues have been mostly coaching. But if you're a Philbin supporter you won't see that.
i was never excited about philbin. he seemed like a walking robot, zero emotion, i dont know why he ever got the job in the 1st place.

at what point do we stop blaming coaching for tannehill? at what point can we maybe say , look this isnt not the guy to take this franchise to the next step. you can only blame coaching so much. Hes not god awful like cant play in this league, but hes not going to be that guy who can hide lots of holes on a team. with tannehill, we will need to be very good to great at many other positions .

next year should be make or break for him. do you think if he comes back next year and is the same old qb, good game here , bad game here, on and off, are we going to blame being away from football for close to 2 years, coaching, as an excuse, because if we continue playing this game, this franchise will never take the next step.

draft a qb in the first round, make tannehill earn the job. if he turns out great, we can trade the qb we drafted in a year or 2 for some valuable assets. if not, we have that qb to fall back on, and we can move on from the tannehill era. we need an insurance plan.

It was more than 3 but yep and you guys still can’t wrap your head around where it comes from.

Despite the skill sets being very similar. Hell offense qb asks under gase being very similar too
your right, i cant wrap my head around where it comes from, when comparing ryan tannehill to tom brady, a guy who will arguably go down as the best qb in nfl history when its all set and done.

he does not need to be tom brady to be successful, but to compare him to legend is a major stretch on your part.

Point taken .. we really don't know whether Tannehill would have continued to ball but if forced to bet the farm, I think most of us would have seen him clearly into the playoffs.

And as far as the other anomaly you referenced Andrew Luck seasons '12-'14, winning 11 games in each with a poorly ranked (but less than Fins-awful OL), considering in those 3 years, his divisional opponents, Jax, Houston and TN went 58-101 (.365), we really don't know that he'd have made the playoffs in any of those years if playing in another division either .

If you're going to discredit Luck because of his weak divisional opponents you should be consistent with Tannehill who in 2016 beat a 1-15 Brown, 2-14 49ers, 4-12 Rams, 5-11 Chargers, 5-11 Jets, 7-9 Bills, 7-8-1, Cardinals and 11-5 Steelers. That is one quality win.

your right, i cant wrap my head around where it comes from, when comparing ryan tannehill to tom brady, a guy who will arguably go down as the best qb in nfl history when its all set and done.

he does not need to be tom brady to be successful, but to compare him to legend is a major stretch on your part.

What you cant wrap your head around is the differences in post season success and the longevity of it. It’s pretty much holding tanny accountable for the fact he was surrounded by incompetence his first 4 years and only has played 5 seasons. The 6th being thrown away due to injury.

In terms of pre snap read and progression based the qb asks are very similar.

But anyways many people struggle to separate qb problem from other problems. Hell they struggled with jay cutlers dumpster fire play being the elephant in the room all season. Blame the play caller blame the oline despite it being serviceable blame the skill guys.

Leaves me at a loss for words when the tape screams it

Last edited:
If you're going to discredit Luck because of his weak divisional opponents you should be consistent with Tannehill who in 2016 beat a 1-15 Brown, 2-14 49ers, 4-12 Rams, 5-11 Chargers, 5-11 Jets, 7-9 Bills, 7-8-1, Cardinals and 11-5 Steelers. That is one quality win.

So you're saying indirectly that Tannehill under center for the Colts mostly with a better ranked OL , Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Avery instead of Hartline, Bess, Gibson, Marlon Moore, et al would have replicated Luck's "success." Okay, I can buy into that :thumbsup

So you're saying indirectly that Tannehill under center for the Colts mostly with a better ranked OL , Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Avery instead of Hartline, Bess, Gibson, Marlon Moore, et al would have replicated Luck's "success." Okay, I can buy into that :thumbsup

Nah I just asked you to be consistent since apparently according to you winning against crappy teams isn't impressive yet you bring up 2016 Tannehill even though he only had 1 quality win.

Well in 2012 Lucks rookie year his o-line was ranked 31st while the dolphins were ranked 23rd so Tannehill had a better ranked OL AND defense ranked 7th and rushing game ranked 17th and was 7-9, while the Colts defense ranked 21st and rushing game ranked 22nd yet went 11-5. So luck 31st OL, 21st Defense, 22 run game is 11-5 and Tannehill 23rd OL, 7th defense, 17th run game is 7-9. He couldn't replicate his success while having a better ranked OL, Defense and run game and equally terrible coach. He cannot do it in a box, he cannot it with a fox, he cannot win with 20 million bucks, he cannot replicate Andrew Luck.

yup, imagine if the eagles and texans had the same mindset as you do, who knows where they'd be now. fortunately, they took a risk in trading up, and while its early, there gambles sure look like it paid off.

You're anointing the Deshaun Watson experiment a success after less than 1/2 a season of play? And the Texans, despite having the pieces of one of the scariest defense in the league, have had a losing season. As for the eagles, 2016 was a losing season. This year, it was a winning season. What changed? Obviously, a year of play for the QB, but wow, is that *team* stacked with talent. Again, you're declaring the experiment a success without any repeatability.

While both of the QB's you seem to love look good, let's not declare them anything other than 'looking very interesting' until they prove themselves over a couple of seasons. There have been all to many QB's that have had one break out season here and there, only to come crashing back to earth a year later. Hell, I remember when everyone was declaring Kap as the new prototype for the QB of the future. A year later, all the DCs had some tape and everyone figured out how the play him and suddenly, he was JAG again.

Nah I just asked you to be consistent since apparently according to you winning against crappy teams isn't impressive yet you bring up 2016 Tannehill even though he only had 1 quality win.

Well in 2012 Lucks rookie year his o-line was ranked 31st while the dolphins were ranked 23rd so Tannehill had a better ranked OL AND defense ranked 7th and rushing game ranked 17th and was 7-9, while the Colts defense ranked 21st and rushing game ranked 22nd yet went 11-5. So luck 31st OL, 21st Defense, 22 run game is 11-5 and Tannehill 23rd OL, 7th defense, 17th run game is 7-9. He couldn't replicate his success while having a better ranked OL, Defense and run game and equally terrible coach. He cannot do it in a box, he cannot it with a fox, he cannot win with 20 million bucks, he cannot replicate Andrew Luck.
Are you talking about the QB who was supposed to be the pick for the ages who started 38 games at Stanford in a pro style offense and comparing him that year to a less than 2 year starter (was it 13 games he started?)

I'm simply saying that the Tannehill we saw this season would have replicated any of those 3 Luck seasons given the quality of his play, the OL protection he would have had (hell, again, he balled with the 30th ranked OL last season) and Hilton and Wayne to throw to.

To compare a raw recruit being mentored by zac taylor in his first real job with limited college experience himself vs supposedly the quintessential QB for the ages coming in with 38 starts and throwing to 2 all stars and his Stanford TE is kind of silly, don't you think?

I'm merely saying that this current iteration of Tannehill with any of Luck's 3 OLs given the comparison you yourself made in the quality of competition, could very well have replicated Luck's 3 year run. Is that certain? No? Would Tannehill definitely have continued to ball right into the postseason? Hard to tell. But whether Luck would have won 11 games or even 8 in another division most often with better ranked OLs also can't be ascertained!

But again, if you want Tannehill out so badly, buy the team. LOL

Are you talking about the QB who was supposed to be the pick for the ages who started 38 games at Stanford in a pro style offense and comparing him that year to a less than 2 year starter (was it 13 games he started?)

I'm simply saying that the Tannehill we saw this season would have replicated any of those 3 Luck seasons given the quality of his play, the OL protection he would have had (hell, again, he balled with the 30th ranked OL last season) and Hilton and Wayne to throw to.

To compare a raw recruit being mentored by zac taylor in his first real job with limited college experience himself vs supposedly the quintessential QB for the ages coming in with 38 starts and throwing to 2 all stars and his Stanford TE is kind of silly, don't you think?

I'm merely saying that this current iteration of Tannehill with any of Luck's 3 OLs given the comparison you yourself made in the quality of competition, could very well have replicated Luck's 3 year run. Is that certain? No? Would Tannehill definitely have continued to ball right into the postseason? Hard to tell. But whether Luck would have won 11 games or even 8 in another division most often with better ranked OLs also can't be ascertained!

But again, if you want Tannehill out so badly, buy the team. LOL

No sir you just finished saying how Tannehill under center for the Colts with a better OL, Wayne, hilton and avery would replicate Lucks success. I showed you how Luck not only had a worse OL, but defense, and run game. So basically you're insinuating that a good WR corps is more vital to winning than a good OL, Defense, and run game.

So what your saying is that 5 year veteran Ryan Tannehill is finally as good as rookie Andrew Luck? You do realize Hilton was a rookie so nope not a pro bowler yet. Coby Fleener had a whopping 26 catches for 281 yards but nice try. Journeyman Avery the same one who's been on 4 teams in 4 years and had a mediocre at best 6 year career?

Now were bring up draft stock? I mean i guess somebody should have told Marino not to have a better rookie year and career than Elway since Elway was a better prospect. Tony Mandarich was supposed to be the best LT prospect ever. Big Ben had a significantly better rookie year than Eli Manning, didn't he know Manning was the better prospect and 1st overall pick? Cam Newton only had 1 year as a starter no, Carson Wentz had MVP talks this year and he thew less passes in college than Tanne. Heck Joe Flacco who had 7 more college starts than Tanne.

It was more than 3 but yep and you guys still can’t wrap your head around where it comes from

Adjuster. That's where it comes from.

Tape guys are adjusters who use the word tape to justify and somehow elevate their adjuster tendencies.

Tannehill is not elite in my opinion but I do think he is better than an average starting NFL QB and that is saying something.

I'm also fine with the Dolphins drafting a QB. Our fans believing a QB alone will transfer this franchise into a Super Bowl contender is absolutely laughable to me. I just saw a guy post our last ten years of first round draft picks. Only one pick was for the hardest position in all of sports, the other 9 were much easier to draft positions.

The only one that was close to a absolute great pick, long term star was a CB we traded away and we have half our fans convinced we can draft an elite QB lol. Probably a 80% chance even our first Rd pick won't be able to beat out Tannehill.

I bet there are Cleveland fans that think a QB will turn them around too. It's all Kizers fault lol.

Alot of Tannehill detractors harp on about consistency and the QB overcoming a team's deficiencies. Yet after a 1-4 start in a new system, that QBs such as Palmer have said could take eight games to bed down, Tannehill helped his team to a 7-1 record, with clutch third down, red zone, and 4th qtr play, 100 plus passer rating, despite a less than desirable OL and injury ravaged defense incapable of stopping the run which limited the offense to a league low in plays called. Is that not borderline elite quarterbacking play or are people really expecting 3+ TDs and 120+ ratings every game? All that being said another QB should be brought in as insurance akin to the Brees Rivers situation the chargers had years ago even though ACLs aren't the career killers they once were, especially not for QBs.

No body outside of this fan base thinks he's good because he's not good, but when you've had Jay Fiedler and Sage Rosenfells and what not, you start to think any qb that can throw a few tds is good.

Jimmy frickin Garapolo has passed Tannehill. Watson had passed him as well, as has Wentz as has Goff. Tannehill is below average when you line up all the starters in the league but this fan base loves going 8-8 so we will probably keep him a few more years and then find another scrub to start after that.

Back
Top Bottom