Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

No body outside of this fan base thinks he's good because he's not good, but when you've had Jay Fiedler and Sage Rosenfells and what not, you start to think any qb that can throw a few tds is good.

Jimmy frickin Garapolo has passed Tannehill. Watson had passed him as well, as has Wentz as has Goff. Tannehill is below average when you line up all the starters in the league but this fan base loves going 8-8 so we will probably keep him a few more years and then find another scrub to start after that.

Garapolo has won 4 games. Deshaunn Watson was 3-4 before getting hurt. If you think that's enough to judge a QB, then your opinion is suspect or biased in order to make your point.

In fairness, we've had 4 years to pass judgement on RT and under some pretty difficult circumstances, all we've seen has been significant improvement -- at least to the above average, possibly to well above average starting QB.

As for going 8-8, no one here is happy with that. But, you can't get better if all you do is churn players and coaches who are at the very least good (but possibly not great) at the first sign of adversity. After the first 2 or 3 QBs in the draft each year, the talent levels drop off A LOT.

Even our beloved Shula didn't win the big game with Marino slinging a football in ways not seen before. That's pretty damning evidence that even the best QBs aren't enough -- you need functional team across offense, defense, and special teams. While one of the units can get away with just ok, the team as a whole has to be functional and play to their strengths.

When Matt Moore and Cutler play it’s their fault, they suck. When Tannehill plays its the O-line’s fault, it’s the lack of a running game, it’s the incompetent coaching, it’s the defense, it’s the WRs dropping passes, it’s because the balls were tipped. Lol different standards for Tannehill.

You're anointing the Deshaun Watson experiment a success after less than 1/2 a season of play? And the Texans, despite having the pieces of one of the scariest defense in the league, have had a losing season. As for the eagles, 2016 was a losing season. This year, it was a winning season. What changed? Obviously, a year of play for the QB, but wow, is that *team* stacked with talent. Again, you're declaring the experiment a success without any repeatability.

While both of the QB's you seem to love look good, let's not declare them anything other than 'looking very interesting' until they prove themselves over a couple of seasons. There have been all to many QB's that have had one break out season here and there, only to come crashing back to earth a year later. Hell, I remember when everyone was declaring Kap as the new prototype for the QB of the future. A year later, all the DCs had some tape and everyone figured out how the play him and suddenly, he was JAG again.
i did say ''while its early'', so i did not anoint anyone yet, i said it seems like the gambles have paid off in trading draft picks to move up.

also, deshuan Watson start to a season was one of the best in nfl history. Its funny how before watson took over, people were saying how the Texans needed pro bowl o lineman duane brown to play, as he was holding out, and then once they put a legit QB back there, funny how nobody really spoke about the Texans o line.

Garapolo has won 4 games. Deshaunn Watson was 3-4 before getting hurt. If you think that's enough to judge a QB, then your opinion is suspect or biased in order to make your point.

In fairness, we've had 4 years to pass judgement on RT and under some pretty difficult circumstances, all we've seen has been significant improvement -- at least to the above average, possibly to well above average starting QB.

As for going 8-8, no one here is happy with that. But, you can't get better if all you do is churn players and coaches who are at the very least good (but possibly not great) at the first sign of adversity. After the first 2 or 3 QBs in the draft each year, the talent levels drop off A LOT.

Even our beloved Shula didn't win the big game with Marino slinging a football in ways not seen before. That's pretty damning evidence that even the best QBs aren't enough -- you need functional team across offense, defense, and special teams. While one of the units can get away with just ok, the team as a whole has to be functional and play to their strengths.
garrapolo has gone to ta team that looked like a bottom 3 team in the league , and with the same o line, same rb, same wrs, same coaching staff, all the sudden since he has been the qb, the team looks like a totally different team. they put up 40 on the jags this past week, the best defense in the nfl.

with watson, yes the texans were 3-4, but anyone who watched him play can tell there was something special. sure health is a key factor, but the guy has been a winner his entire college career, and seems to have that ''IT '' factor. sometimes you can tell by watching someone play they are going to be special. everyone knew peyton manning was going to be a stud in his rookie year despite going 3-13 ( and no i am not comparing watson to manning, i am saying how despite the terrible record in the rookie season, you could still tell when someone was going to be special based on his play)

When Matt Moore and Cutler play it’s their fault, they suck. When Tannehill plays its the O-line’s fault, it’s the lack of a running game, it’s the incompetent coaching, it’s the defense, it’s the WRs dropping passes, it’s because the balls were tipped. Lol different standards for Tannehill.
spot on dude. this site tends to make excuses for guys who are drafted by the fins more than any other qb. if you remember during the chad henne years, people defended him until his last snap as a fin, blaming everyone around him but him for his ineptitude. Mark columbo was a big scapegoat for the terrible chad henne, and then something amazing happened. Matt moore came in for chad henne, and the team went from looking god awful, to at least looking competent on offense, enough that we went 6-6 in the 12 games he started, including a stretch of 3 straight 30 pt games ( cant remember last time the dolphins did that)and he was named team mvp, with that same awful o line, same awful coaching, etc.

chad pennington comes in for us in 2008 without a training camp, coming off a 1-15 season, with his top 3 wrs that year being ted ginn, devon bess, and greg camraillo. the guy is runner up in mvp voting to peyton manning, and yet this site attacked him because he got ''exposed'' vs the ravens in the playoffs.

fast forward to 2012, we draft tannehill and every excuse in the book has been made for him as u have mentioned. he was not impressive in his rookie year, in his 2nd year in 2013, he got off to a good start with all the terrible coaching he had and lack of talent, then he we had big wins vs pitt and new england, and all we needed was 1 win vs 2 dreadful teams in buffalo and vs the jets, and we scored a whopping 7 pts combined in both games, yet tannehill got zero blame for that.

you know that if it had been any other qb named tannehill and we blew a playoff opportunity by losing back to back games scoring 7 total pts vs those awful teams, that would be getting ripped to shreds, we need to replace the qb, this is why these guys suck, etc, but ryan was blame free.

we will be here next year and the same excuses will be being made for him, o line stunk, dropped passes, terrible game plans, rusty from his injury, etc.

yup, imagine if the eagles and texans had the same mindset as you do, who knows where they'd be now. fortunately, they took a
It's obvious you don't know what you're looking at with this response.

Tannehill is good enough to be a starter in this league but Defenses and coaches are never going to lose sleep against Tannehill. But He also isn't bad enough to need to replace him. He is going to need a very good supporting cast around him to be successful. Ive heard and seen well Drew Brees and the saints went 7-9 for a couple years, but it was blindly obvious that Drew Brees was NOT the problem, he still threw for almost 5K yards and 30+ TD's, c'mon now. Same thing with Philip Rivers comparison. If Tannehill was producing like that none of us would be having this conversation.

This, right here. I honestly don't see how anyone can objectively disagree with this.

i did say ''while its early'', so i did not anoint anyone yet, i said it seems like the gambles have paid off in trading draft picks to move up.

also, deshuan Watson start to a season was one of the best in nfl history. Its funny how before watson took over, people were saying how the Texans needed pro bowl o lineman duane brown to play, as he was holding out, and then once they put a legit QB back there, funny how nobody really spoke about the Texans o line.
They are now that he's injured.

They are now that he's injured.
yes exactly, because when u have garbage at qb, everything else around it looks 100 x worse than it actually is. when watson returns healthy hopefully next year, the texans will be fun to watch again, and people will not be talking about the small problems that get exposed when u dont have a qb.

Yes I do think that in the very limited time those guys have played that every single one of them is already better than Tannehill. I'd venture to guess pretty much any one outside of this organizations fan base would also rank those guys above Tannehill.

What do we even have in Tannehill? I'll tell you what, you got a guy who's been in the league for 5 seasons and you STILL don't know if you have a franchise qb in the guy.

I was really looking forward to his play this year because he was finally gonna show that he isn't the answer, but no, the dudes gotta tear his acl in camp just so we can prolong this another year.

Gonna love it next year when he sucks but everyone says "well he's coming off an acl injury you gotta give him a year"" So at that point we will be in season 7 with this bum lol.

yes exactly, because when u have garbage at qb, everything else around it looks 100 x worse than it actually is. when watson returns healthy hopefully next year, the texans will be fun to watch again, and people will not be talking about the small problems that get exposed when u dont have a qb.
Keep telling yourself that.
Bad Oline = injured QB

Might want to give it a little more time before some of you anoint QB greatness on short samples of play, as Marino said, playing at a high level for a long period of time was what he prided his career on.

Marcus Mariota as an example comes to mind.

Yes I do think that in the very limited time those guys have played that every single one of them is already better than Tannehill. I'd venture to guess pretty much any one outside of this organizations fan base would also rank those guys above Tannehill.

What do we even have in Tannehill? I'll tell you what, you got a guy who's been in the league for 5 seasons and you STILL don't know if you have a franchise qb in the guy.

I was really looking forward to his play this year because he was finally gonna show that he isn't the answer, but no, the dudes gotta tear his acl in camp just so we can prolong this another year.

Gonna love it next year when he sucks but everyone says "well he's coming off an acl injury you gotta give him a year"" So at that point we will be in season 7 with this bum lol.

Anyone who says those guys are anything but unknown are just crossing their fingers. This is the same crap we got with Kap and Carr and any number of others. Franchise QB's deliver for more than a season (or half a season).

If he doesn't match the second half of last year's performance (more or less), then you'll be right -- it will be time to start the process of looking for something better. But I would argue that if he's +/- his level of performance during that 8 game stretch at the end, we still should be looking for day 2/3 high risk/high reward types -- because that level of performance is high enough to build a successful team around and that means we can afford some time to find his eventual replacement.

Less than that level of performance, then it will clearly be time to cash in some picks and reach for a top 3 type player.

garrapolo has gone to ta team that looked like a bottom 3 team in the league , and with the same o line, same rb, same wrs, same coaching staff, all the sudden since he has been the qb, the team looks like a totally different team. they put up 40 on the jags this past week, the best defense in the nfl.

Same thing we were saying about Moore... "look at the spark he brings to the team".

with watson, yes the texans were 3-4, but anyone who watched him play can tell there was something special. sure health is a key factor, but the guy has been a winner his entire college career, and seems to have that ''IT '' factor. sometimes you can tell by watching someone play they are going to be special. everyone knew peyton manning was going to be a stud in his rookie year despite going 3-13 ( and no i am not comparing watson to manning, i am saying how despite the terrible record in the rookie season, you could still tell when someone was going to be special based on his play)

Ah yes, that elusive "IT" factor. And you call me a homer with Tannihill. I don't want "IT" whatever the hell that is, I want wins. This is the same nonsense everyone talks about with Russell Wilson -- he just had that "IT" factor and willed his team into the SB. Never mind that D that was so good, the price of mistakes was way, way less than for most other QBs. Never mind Beast Mode that forced the D to play the run, even in obvious passing downs. This is not to say that RW isn't a very good QB -- he clearly is. But what happened to "IT" after Marshawn left and the rest of the team started chasing the riches that comes to players who are on a SB team? He still has "it", and less wins.

I love the strength of your convictions. You can't have it both ways -- either it doesn't matter that it's "early" or gambles haven't yet paid off. You can't have both in a single coherent statement.

Back
Top Bottom