Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins

Welcome back Brian. Deal is just slightly over an average of $6 million a year, lower than the rumored $6.5 or even $7 million we were hearing earlier in the week, which is good news. $12 million guaranteed over a span of a five year deal is very small folks, victory for Ireland and Aponte. These types of contracts are more bloated on paper than they truly are and the $12 million guaranteed number makes me think the cap hits this year and next year are probably closer to $4-5 million, which isn't bad for a #2 WR coming off a 1,000 yard season. I am confident that Hartline would have gotten more on the open market from another team, it is just how the market works. You might call it "overpaying", others might just call it paying what needs to be paid to keep home grown talent.

This signing also ends the argument some people had that Ireland has never resigned a draft pick from the era where he had the title of GM. Even though it was only the second class to expire and was a draft where he did not have ultimate control, it was still used as an argument against Ireland and the Dolphins. The second big thing is that this now completes one part of "Plan A" as detailed by Jeff Darlington earlier this week. Add Mike Wallace or at least Greg Jennings and the WR group will be improved from last year.

BEz9hsmCUAAMiHL-1.jpg

To me the concern was this...let's say Mar 12 comes around and Wallace signs with Minn for 13.5, then Jennings gets 10 from someone else. How much would Hartline cost at that point for a roster as desperate as ours? Timing, market, and our desperate need were everything here, and I was expecting us to pay him 7ish; like Nublar said above, the deal is very reasonable.

The only team I see competing with us on the figures we throw at Wallace is CLE. Since they know they stink and have more money than us, they'll likely throw as much as we will. Hopefully our QB situation and closer to playoffs than CLE is will be the tie breaker. The other teams won't have the cao space to challenge our offer. But what about INDY? I don't think so. I think they spent money on the WRs last year. With this deep WR draft, I see them drafting the compliments to the guys they have.

If the Patriots want Wallace they'll get him, without looking it up I'm pretty sure they have more cap space than us now.

The only team I see competing with us on the figures we throw at Wallace is CLE. Since they know they stink and have more money than us, they'll likely throw as much as we will. Hopefully our QB situation and closer to playoffs than CLE is will be the tie breaker. The other teams won't have the cao space to challenge our offer. But what about INDY? I don't think so. I think they spent money on the WRs last year. With this deep WR draft, I see them drafting the compliments to the guys they have.
Uh, I guess..? but you have no way of knowing this for sure. That's the point: the guessing game of free agency is risky. If we don't sign Hartline for 6/yr like we did, then if we miss on Wallace and Jennings, what do we have? Nothing. Hartline at that point would definitely cost more than 6 (7-8.5, probably). Signing Hartline ensures that the WR group doesn't go backwards; we're starting where we left off and hopefully adding guys to it.

This is a great deal and a solid signing.

This franchise is moving in the right direction. Its good to be excited to be a phins fan again. Those were some dark years under Parcells/Sparano.

This move brings back a solid player at a fair value and builds continuity with the young QB. We still need to add 2 or 3 WRs, but its good to know Hartline is back.

For all of the Hartline doubters its going to be fun bumping posts when he puts up another big season.

Dolphins over payed for a WR that is Jusf decent not the best singing IMO I was fine with letting him walk he not worth any more them 4.5 a year

Uhhh, not to completely derail the thread, but that logo on the table look a little different to you guys?

Sorry, but I believe the Dolphins waaaaay over-paid Hartline. :crazy:

We'll have to wait to see the specifics but it doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal, especially if its backloaded or incentive based. Hopefully the cap hit is only $4-4.5 for the first two or three seasons.

Back
Top Bottom