hoops scoops...round 3 disaster... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...round 3 disaster...

my point is don't confuse inability to do the job ie scout prospects with lack of opportunity to do so...it's not an easy thing to break into...and given i love the dolphins so much i would want to do it for them...

but i don't doubt that if i did get an opportunity i would stick...that's just my opinion obviously but i'm very confident that if i did it for a living and devoted myself to it full time i would stay employed...

But you don't do it for a living. It is easy to say that you would, but you don't. You post on a website. It is real easy to say you can do something, and then not do it. I could be an astronaut, if only I put in the years of training and had the opportunity to fly to the moon, but because I don't know anyone with a spaceship, I cannot do it - my bad.

So essentially, of the 5 picks in the first three rounds, we ended up spending all but #77 on defense and the solitary offensive guy we selected doesn't fill any of the gaping holes we have at LT, TE or Slot? We strike gold with a franchise QB, and two years running now Ireland fails to draft any help for him?

So we break the bank for Wallace and he's got to be McGuyver with a 1-dimensional TE, no slot receiver, no red zone threats whatsoever, and no 2nd deep threat? No WR or TE over 6'2 and only 1 guy (Wallace) who has sub-4.5 speed? Oh yeah, and we let the two leading TD scorers (Bush and Fasano) go? We also let go of our good LT without any replacement?

I'm confused ... do we understand the concept of building around a young QB? Our decisions suggest we do not.

Not picking Keenan Allen after he fell so far was an epic fail.

i don't want him.. that guy is slow as ****. if you're gonna get a Wr get one with a little more speed. Doesn't have to be burner but a lil faster. He doesn't have the size like boldin to make up for it with his lack of speed.

So essentially, of the 5 picks in the first three rounds, we ended up spending all but #77 on defense and the solitary offensive guy we selected doesn't fill any of the gaping holes we have at LT, TE or Slot? We strike gold with a franchise QB, and two years running now Ireland fails to draft any help for him?

So we break the bank for Wallace and he's got to be McGuyver with a 1-dimensional TE, no slot receiver, no red zone threats whatsoever, and no 2nd deep threat? No WR or TE over 6'2 and only 1 guy (Wallace) who has sub-4.5 speed? Oh yeah, and we let the two leading TD scorers (Bush and Fasano) go? We also let go of our good LT without any replacement?

I'm confused ... do we understand the concept of building around a young QB? Our decisions suggest we do not.

Everything you said is the TRUTH.

Ireland really regresses at certain points in every draft -- a kind of panic sets in and he reverts to bad form.

It's like a player who trains and trains to avoid bad, ingrained habits, but when the heat turns up and crunch time hits, he reverts to bad form.

Ireland left way better talent out there w. boneheaded moves in the third, imo. Maybe the 4th round will be better, since he has a night to sleep on this debacle...

LD

Help me out here, who was the prototypical red zone threat in Green Bay?

Honestly, I'd kinda like one too. It's clear that Philbin does not covet large receivers, though, and he's gotten results without them in the past.

I'm sorry but if anybody here actually thinks they can evaluate prospects better than pro scouts, then you're off your rocker. Just because you watch college football and talk crap on a fan forum doesn't make you a scout or good at evaluating prospects. With that said people seriously don't say stupid **** like that, if you don't like the pick then that's fine but to act like you're better at scouting than the pros that do this for a living and to make a bold statement such as saying the guys we drafted will fail is premature and utterly retarded, reserve your judgements until they actually complete an NFL season because other than not knowing who they are you have no way of knowing that they will fail.

I keep hearing Davis is man corner, any chance he was misused at Utah State. We are all aware of players not being used correctly. At the Senior bowl was he used where he was comfortable? Just curious, some guys are just built to play certain systems. Not all coaches can see that. Look at Asante Samuel, great off man corner, likes to read the eyes of QB, when he usually gets beat is when they have called some man to man which he isn't as great at. Just a thought. Hoping for the best, he seemed to test well in the 3 cone and had alright speed. Other thing, could he be a FS.

i like how people try to justify these ****ty 3rd round picks.

I respect your opinion and enjoy all your great write ups. But lets be honest, there's a reason you're posting on a forum and not getting paid to talk prospects. No one knows how these guys will pan out or what position they can and can't play.

No reason any Dolphin fans should be negative with the way yesterday and today had played out.

Haha you're beating a dead drum here. We just have a very angry/pessimistic fan base. The first two picks were awesome, the third round was just whatever, but you just can't please this fan base no matter who they take. I'm pretty happy so far and am looking forward to more fun and making some more good solid additions to the team tomorrow.

my god...i wish they had just traded completely out of the round...

first they overdraft a guy in dallas thomas with low level feet and movement skills to play what i assume is right guard in a zone scheme...i sure as hell hope that's the plan...cause that's a failure at tackle...he's stiff and straight ahead...great...add him to stone feet incog at guard...will this team ever get athletic at guard...i guess the plan right now is to move john jerry out to tackle or to roll with will yeatman...

then they trade up for what looked like the worst corner at the senior bowl week period in will davis...good lord...guy got used like a wet nap all over the field senior bowl week...to the point where at times it looked like he stopped competing...awful...this is egnew all over again level stuff...trade high level 4th 5th and 7th round picks for this camp fodder

i guess i should be happy they at least got a good value at #56 with short arms jamar taylor...batted 1 for 3...

Agree 1000% with you. Thanks for posting it!!! And for the crowd wearing the rose colored glasses, you need a reality check

Well the crap colored glasses crowd needs to see how these guys get coached up first. I trust Hoops opinions but no one is always right. There we some guy on here who loved the Cards tackle taken in the 2nd last year, Massie and he looked like crap. Can hate the picks but some guy do develop as well. I'm curious about the feet comment because didn't Thomas have some nice cone drills? Need to look it up.

Third round was very "meh" to me. Especially with Swope, Patton, Shamarko Thomas, etc sitting around.

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 5h
MIami just selected one of my favorite players in the draft, Boise St CB Jamar Taylor. Consistent player on every tape I studied. Rock solid

But you don't do it for a living. It is easy to say that you would, but you don't. You post on a website. It is real easy to say you can do something, and then not do it. I could be an astronaut, if only I put in the years of training and had the opportunity to fly to the moon, but because I don't know anyone with a spaceship, I cannot do it - my bad.

It's funny to me that someone assumes just because a person isn't an NFL general manager, they can't evaluate talent and make informed decisions on whether or not they think a player is good or bad. Any time you are talking about evaluation rather than instruction or task performance, the only qualifications that really matter are: possessing a sufficient amount of observation, understanding of the criteria being evaluated, and some degree of intelligence.

Like any evaluator, hoops can exaggerate at times if he has strong feelings about a guy one way or another, but to say that it's too hard for him to make a reasonable evaluation of a player he has watched because his business card doesn't say "NFL Scout" or "NFL General Manager" is comical.

Assuming that you (or someone else) can't do a thing because you don't get paid to do a thing leads you to a place where curiosity, growth, and self-improvement end.

Back
Top Bottom