Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video)

Kiper seems to have become a bitter old man since McShay started nosing in on his territory at ESPN. Kiper isn't anywhere close to be the best draft expert in the business. He knows a lot of college players but he is not the best at picking where they will end up.

He's a commentator, not a coach. He observes the team from the point of an outsider, and comments from what he knows about the people entering the draft. That he does well. Nobody ever said he's a rebuilder of NFL teams...he just evaluates college talent and current NFL rosters and comments.

You need to relax, or better yet....don't pay attention to an opinion that you think has no validity.

That's exactly my point, he's limited in his information about each team, he just generalizes his view of each team and the DP's avalible. He basically has no right to be offended if teams don't draft the players he recomends because he's not involved with each team and he has no idea who they will draft and why.

That's exactly my point, he's limited in his information about each team, he just generalizes his view of each team and the DP's avalible. He basically has no right to be offended if teams don't draft the players he recomends because he's not involved with each team and he has no idea who they will draft and why.

He knew we needed a QB last year...he thought we shouldn't pass on Ryan. Its his opinion. Don't understand where the controversy is. He knows teams basic needs, and has kids in the draft he thinks they should pick. He does have some idea, but he isn't inside any war rooms..Its not like we couldn't use a franchise QB last year. If Henne doesn't pan out, we still need one, then he was right IMO. I'm happy with the moose we got in Long, but again....Ryan was not a bust judging his rookie year.

Don't watch him if you don't like him. It's easy. But he does know about the draft and college players.

It's SUCH an irrelevant comment. If we drafted Ryan we have no Long and no Pennington. No Long and no Pennington = (imo) no playoffs in 2008. Woulda coulda shoulda the Dolphins had the greatest turn around in NFL history, how the **** can you argue against their draft class?

In hindsight we should have taken Ryan, but we made the right pick at the time. Hindsight is stupid. I dont know why Kiper thinks its smart to look at a great QB and say he should have been picked earlier. If people knew how good Brady would be he wouldn't have made it to round 6. The teams that passed on Brady on the first day made the right the right choice at the time. Hindsight is 20/20, and Long was the best pick at the time and is a great player for us.

Long was a sure thing and Ryan was a maybe thing. Now I do agree with Kip that the great QB will have more of an impact on a team than a great OT. But no one knew if Ryan was going to be great last year heck he threw and still throws the ball side armed so there was lots of skuttle butt talk out there about that this time last year and how because of that he might not be so sucessful at the next level. We have had Joey Harrington, Dante Culpeper and a few other of those highly drafted QB in Miami these past few years that were basically flops based on how high they were drafted so that tells you that position is a gamble position in the first round. Long was a safe pick still is a safe pick and made the pro bowl last year so it was a good pick.

you could make an argument for Ryan over Long, but it is a non-issue
the subject is moot :lol2:
Parcells builds from trenches. wasn't a stretch to figure his #1 draft choice would come from the offensive or defensive line.
Long has proven to be a critical piece to the rebuilding project.
to argue this point is meaningless banter :hump:

This is sort of revisionist history. Ryan is now being called a "franchise QB" but going into the draft, while some maintained he'd become one, there were too many warning signals and red flags including his delivery and his interception ratio (only 2 more TDs than Ints for the year after his first game against WF) to risk losing a sure thing in Long for someone who could have as easily turned into Harrington, Couch or either A. Smith. Mel doesn't have to live with his mistakes. If he did, he'd be on a local Podunk cable channel at this point instead of ESPN.

I'm still not sold on Matt Ryan. The guy has a top 3 RB in Turner and was a game manager for the most part, and an average one at that. It's insane to even compare Marino and Ryan's rookie seasons.

I'm still not sold on Matt Ryan. The guy has a top 3 RB in Turner and was a game manager for the most part, and an average one at that. It's insane to even compare Marino and Ryan's rookie seasons.
Actually Ryan was pretty damn good last year. Looks like he could very well be the best player in last years draft if he continues the path he is on. He performed as well as any rookie QB ever, including Marino.

Still doesn't change the fact that Long was the correct pick at the time. Ryan seemed to be a 50/50 chance of being a bust. We simply couldnt afford that. We made the right choice and got a great player in Long. In hindsight we pick Ryan for sure...but anyone can do a draft in hindsight.

He knew we needed a QB last year...he thought we shouldn't pass on Ryan. Its his opinion. Don't understand where the controversy is. He knows teams basic needs, and has kids in the draft he thinks they should pick. He does have some idea, but he isn't inside any war rooms..Its not like we couldn't use a franchise QB last year. If Henne doesn't pan out, we still need one, then he was right IMO. I'm happy with the moose we got in Long, but again....Ryan was not a bust judging his rookie year.

Don't watch him if you don't like him. It's easy. But he does know about the draft and college players.

If we needed a QB, why didn't we draft Ryan? Fact is Miami wanted to draft Henne if he was avalible with their second 2nd round pick, but the Dolphins weren't drafting one before that pick. Henne just happen to fall to that spot and we took him. Does that sound like a priority to you? We drafted exactly the player BP and company made a priority and Kiper had no idea what BP and company wanted cause Kiper isn't part of the Dolphins.

As far as watching Kiper, I don't! He's way to in love with his own opinion. I can and do get my info from many other places. I was commenting on Kiper being cluleless about what this team wants to do in the draft cause he is.

I agree, I think Ryan needs to continue to play well if he's to be considered a very good QB. As with all QB's it takes several years of success or failure to know what they will be.

You have no idea how Ryan would of preformed in our system or if he would of even had any time to throw without Long. I think most of his credit was due to their OLine and Turner. When your RB is #2 in rushing yards in the NFL, and not from a stupid wildcat formation, its much easier for a QB to throw when the defense is stacking the line to try and stop the run.

You have no idea how Ryan would of preformed in our system or if he would of even had any time to throw without Long. I think most of his credit was due to their OLine and Turner. When your RB is #2 in rushing yards in the NFL, and not from a stupid wildcat formation, its much easier for a QB to throw when the defense is stacking the line to try and stop the run.

It sure is a lot easier to succeed as a rookie QB if you have a top Oline and rushing attack.

If we needed a QB, why didn't we draft Ryan? Fact is Miami wanted to draft Henne if he was avalible with their second 2nd round pick, but the Dolphins weren't drafting one before that pick. Henne just happen to fall to that spot and we took him. Does that sound like a priority to you? We drafted exactly the player BP and company made a priority and Kiper had no idea what BP and company wanted cause Kiper isn't part of the Dolphins.

As far as watching Kiper, I don't! He's way to in love with his own opinion. I can and do get my info from many other places. I was commenting on Kiper being cluleless about what this team wants to do in the draft cause he is.

LT was more of a need than QB. Even though Beck isn't their QB of choice, they'd rather go with young QB inherited, and the vet McNown (who later became Penny). Long was the much safer pick, and honestly more BP's style. When Henne fell to them with the 2nd #2 we had, it was crazy for them to pass Henne up if they had any idea he could be a franchise QB.

Picking 2 Qb's in the 2nd round of 2 back to back years kind of shows it as necessity for us. Doesn't that sound like it was a priority to you? I don't think Kiper needs to be in the room to know that.

If you don't like Kiper and don't watch him then good, my bad about that. I hate people that complain about someone they watch all the time. But whether you like him or not, he is not clueless.

Back
Top Bottom