Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video) | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video)

LT was more of a need than QB. Even though Beck isn't their QB of choice, they'd rather go with young QB inherited, and the vet McNown (who later became Penny). Long was the much safer pick, and honestly more BP's style. When Henne fell to them with the 2nd #2 we had, it was crazy for them to pass Henne up if they had any idea he could be a franchise QB.

Picking 2 Qb's in the 2nd round of 2 back to back years kind of shows it as necessity for us. Doesn't that sound like it was a priority to you? I don't think Kiper needs to be in the room to know that.

If you don't like Kiper and don't watch him then good, my bad about that. I hate people that complain about someone they watch all the time. But whether you like him or not, he is not clueless.

I think he's clueless about Miami's priorites. Miami didn't take Ryan cause he wasn't a priority at the number 1 spot. So rather than understand that, Mel acts like Miami made a mistake and we will rue the day we passed on Ryan, even though we now have a Pro bowl LT. Mel needs to get over it. BTW Miami would not have drafted Henne if he wasn't there, I think they found him a value pick at 57 not a priority.

It is completly premature to say weather or not miami made the right choice at #1 until we see how Henne does. If Henne busts and Ryan continues to play at the level he did last season then it is fair to question how well we used that pick, but If Henne lights up the leauge and Long continues to play at an all pro level then we clearly made the best of our resources.

I think he's clueless about Miami's priorites. Miami didn't take Ryan cause he wasn't a priority at the number 1 spot. So rather than understand that, Mel acts like Miami made a mistake and we will rue the day we passed on Ryan, even though we now have a Pro bowl LT. Mel needs to get over it. BTW Miami would not have drafted Henne if he wasn't there, I think they found him a value pick at 57 not a priority.

A #2, when you already have another year old #2, is a priority. Doesn't matter if you like Beck or not, it shows QB is still a priority.

If we could go back and do it all over again, I would still want Jake Long. What good would Matt Ryan do while planted on his back by defenders because of a horrendous o-line? Jake Long stabilzed our o-line. You can't put a value on that. Kiper is a retard. He is seriously lacking in football knowledge.

It is completly premature to say weather or not miami made the right choice at #1 until we see how Henne does. If Henne busts and Ryan continues to play at the level he did last season then it is fair to question how well we used that pick, but If Henne lights up the leauge and Long continues to play at an all pro level then we clearly made the best of our resources.

We'll know in 4 years whether these were good move..., but without Long you would kiss last years 11-5 down the toilet..., that I know for sure

Actually Ryan was pretty damn good last year. Looks like he could very well be the best player in last years draft if he continues the path he is on. He performed as well as any rookie QB ever, including Marino.

Still doesn't change the fact that Long was the correct pick at the time. Ryan seemed to be a 50/50 chance of being a bust. We simply couldnt afford that. We made the right choice and got a great player in Long. In hindsight we pick Ryan for sure...but anyone can do a draft in hindsight.

Gonna have to disagree with you on Ryan having as good a season as Marino. Marino started in the Pro Bowl as a rookie and was the top rated passer in the league. Marino threw +2200 yards in half a season. Matt Ryan isn't even one of the top 10 QBs in the league. Marino was unquestionably top 5 by the end of his first half a season as a starter. Matt Ryan cannot carry a team, he can't win a game when all else fails. Michael Turner is the clear driving force behind that offense. People that think Ryan had as good a season as Marino, IMO, are caught up in the hype of the moment and can't take an unbiased look at their seasons.

Don't get me wrong. Ryan is and will be a good QB, but he'll be more of a Troy Aikman than a Peyton Manning or Dan Marino.

Henne has played a down.

Ryan and Long both work perfectly for their teams. It is stupid to think The Dolphins and Falcon would have both had success if they had switched draft picks.

The credit goes to the poster "scbrandon" who made these brilliant observations on Omar Kelly's blog.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2009/03/mel-kiper-jr-unfiltered.html

Here's some great quotes from Mel Kiper Jr...

He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction."

In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league.

In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks.

In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season

Thing is this we took Long we did just fine now if we did go with Ryan and we still got Penny Ryan wouldnt have even taken a snap not to mention I do agree with Mel to an extent if you think this qb can be the guy take him but if you are know to have no line for years why bother the kid will be on his back put one of the top qb's behind the Lions line and see how they do

Actually Ryan was pretty damn good last year. Looks like he could very well be the best player in last years draft if he continues the path he is on. He performed as well as any rookie QB ever, including Marino.

I'm sorry, but that's just absurd. Marino played in a far less QB friendly era, where it was very uncommon to see a QB post a 90 Passer Rating. Back in 1983, Defenders were allowed to rough up the QB without fear of being penalized and defensive backs were allowed to mug wide receivers (and vice versa). Nowadays, it seems like a dozen quarterbacks every year are able to reach that 90 (or better) Passer milestone.

Sack rate
Matt Ryan: One sack every 26.53 drop backs
Dan Marino: One sack every 30.6 drop backs

Passer Rating
Matt Ryan: 87.7
Dan Marino: 96

Average Passer rating by year:
1983: 73.3
2008: 81.5

Average scoring offense:
2008 Falcons under Matt Ryan: 24.4 points per game
1983 Dolphins under Dan Marino: 29 points per game

Winning %
1983 Dolphins: .778 (7-2)
2008 Falcons: .688 (11-5)

The Dolphins offense also relied more heavily on Marino as he averaged far more passing attempts per start than Ryan in his starts. All things considered, Dan Marino makes Matt Ryan look like Jay Fiedler.

I'm sorry, but that's just absurd. Marino played in a far less QB friendly era, where it was very uncommon to see a QB post a 90 Passer Rating. Back in 1983, Defenders were allowed to rough up the QB without fear of being penalized and defensive backs were allowed to mug wide receivers (and vice versa). Nowadays, it seems like a dozen quarterbacks every year are able to reach that 90 (or better) Passer milestone.

Sack rate
Matt Ryan: One sack every 26.53 drop backs
Dan Marino: One sack every 30.6 drop backs

Passer Rating
Matt Ryan: 87.7
Dan Marino: 96

Average Passer rating by year:
1983: 73.3
2008: 81.5

Average scoring offense:
2008 Falcons under Matt Ryan: 24.4 points per game
1983 Dolphins under Dan Marino: 29 points per game

Winning %
1983 Dolphins: .778 (7-2)
2008 Falcons: .688 (11-5)

The Dolphins offense also relied more heavily on Marino as he averaged far more passing attempts per start than Ryan in his starts. All things considered, Dan Marino makes Matt Ryan look like Jay Fiedler.
Fair enough there. Still, Ryan looks like he has the potential to be a HOF QB. Dudes a beast. The Falcons hit the jackpot with him.

I didn't see Matty Ryan in Hawaii... Kiper probably is refering to how ESPN should have hired Mike Mayock instead of him. Kiper is better because he used to be considered the draft "guru" but that title clearly belongs to Mayock. Hell, ESPN is trying to force Kiper out for McShay

Both players look like they'll be all-pro's for years. LT and QB are the 2 single important positions in football. The trifecta has one locked, and possibly another.

I really don't get what's up Kiper's crack.

Back
Top Bottom