Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiper says we should have taken Ryan. This guy is crazy!(video)

Matt Ryan would have been an excellent pick. I don't see how this sounds "moronic" and unrealistic. Just a matter of getting a good tackle prospect on the left side. Would Matt have had a great season with us as he did with Atlanta?

We will never know; however, this kid show the tangibles of a great leader out there for his team, and that is a good indicator that lets me know that he would do as good in this team as well.

One thing for sure is that in the 2008 draft, there were only three pro bowl players in their first year and both Jake and Matt were one of them.

Matt Ryan would have been an excellent pick. I don't see how this sounds "moronic" and unrealistic. Just a matter of getting a good tackle prospect on the left side. Would Matt have had a great season with us as he did with Atlanta?

We will never know; however, this kid show the tangibles of a great leader out there for his team, and that is a good indicator that lets me know that he would do as good in this team as well.

One thing for sure is that in the 2008 draft, there were only three pro bowl players in their first year and both Jake and Matt were one of them.

How do you know he would have been as successful in Miami as he was in Atalanta? Miami didn't draft Ryan because we needed an Oline first. Ryan would have been much less successful in Miami than he was Atlanta cause we couldn't run the ball. Running the ball in Atlanta made Ryan's job much easier. I think you'll see another good season from Ryan if they continue to run the ball well, but if they don't, Ryan will regress.

How do you know he would have been as successful in Miami as he was in Atalanta? Miami didn't draft Ryan because we needed an Oline first. Ryan would have been much less successful in Miami than he was Atlanta cause we couldn't run the ball. Running the ball in Atlanta made Ryan's job much easier. I think you'll see another good season from Ryan if they continue to run the ball well, but if they don't, Ryan will regress.

It doesn't really matter whether he was successful or not. That is not the measure of talent...he would have still had the talent whether or not he was getting squashed because there was no o-line.

The plane fact is that Miami took the "safe" pick. That is fine too...it worked out great. But, point in fact, Ryan was simply the better talent. We didn't take the chance that he would be a bust. The simple fact is, we missed on this one. Atlanta will be happy for years with our conservatism...but we won't be bad off either.

It doesn't really matter whether he was successful or not. That is not the measure of talent...he would have still had the talent whether or not he was getting squashed because there was no o-line.

The plane fact is that Miami took the "safe" pick. That is fine too...it worked out great. But, point in fact, Ryan was simply the better talent. We didn't take the chance that he would be a bust. The simple fact is, we missed on this one. Atlanta will be happy for years with our conservatism...but we won't be bad off either.

Funny, I don't see any real "facts". Matt Ryan is good, but he's incredibly overrated. IMO, Jake Long is every bit as good at his position as Matt Ryan is at his.

HOF after one season?! get out of Matty "Ice's" pants
Maybe you should try reading my post again. I didnt enshrine the guy. I simply stated the fact that Ryan has that much potential.

I dont understand why everyone here tries to take things away from Ryan to try make the Long pick look like the best. We got a great player. Ill take that. Im not on Ryans nuts. I thought Long was 100% the right pick at the time. Turns out, maybe Ryan was the better choice. In hindsight things change, but I can live with a pro bowl LT. At the time we did the right thing.

Dolphin fans are the only people who try to bust on Ryan. It doesn't make you a bad fan to simply acknowledge another draft picks talent.

Matt Ryan played great for a rookie QB, but by NFL standards, he was merely 'good'. Could Matt Ryan get better? Most certainly, does he have Hall of Fame potential? Possibly.....Did Matt Ryan play like a Hall of Fame QB in his rookie season? Absolutely not...

Eric Dickerson looked like a Hall of Famer after his rookie season...
Barry Sanders looked like a Hall of Famer after his rookie season....
Ronnie Lott looked like a Hall of Famer after his rookie season...
Dan Marino looked like a Hall of Famer after his rookie season....
etc.

We needed Long period. On a team with as many holes as we had protect the qb first and foremost and go out and get the vet and draft the future next round. 1-15 to 11-5 and division crown - sure seemed like the strategy paid off. We still have a ways to go to be dominant as we certainly were not that last year - just a good team solid in the basics. But the roadmap to get there is being laid out. But I guess Kiper knows better huh.

So your argument is that OLG's are easy to find or that they are not that important to an offesenses sucess? Your assement that ryan is a better talent does not hold water when you consider where Long is ranked among other players at his postion and where Ryan is ranked among other players at his postion

That makes no sense, why would BP not take the better player, if the better player was Matt Ryan? I think the answer is easy, Miami had no interest in Ryan and were willing to draft Henne if he were on the board at 57 and not before. Ohterwise Miami could have taken either Henne or Ryan at some point in the 08 draft before pick 57 and they took neither before 57. The Fact is, Miami wanted Jake Long not Matt Ryan.

Whats kinda funny about comparing our first two draft picks to atlanta's is they basically are mirrior images of one another. They had two first rounders but went QB, OT while we went OT, QB

Both teams first choices have been starters and had great seasons. Both second picks have been riding the pines. If we really want to compare our draft to Atlanta's (which is silly btw) lets wait to see how Henne and Baker play first.

To me, in terms of sucess it looks like we had pretty equal drafts so far. Although I dont knoiw a whole lot about Baker and why he was on the Bench last year and not on the field.

Whats kinda funny about comparing our first two draft picks to atlanta's is they basically are mirrior images of one another. They had two first rounders but went QB, OT while we went OT, QB

Both teams first choices have been starters and had great seasons. Both second picks have been riding the pines. If we really want to compare our draft to Atlanta's (which is silly btw) lets wait to see how Henne and Baker play first.

To me, in terms of sucess it looks like we had pretty equal drafts so far. Although I dont knoiw a whole lot about Baker and why he was on the Bench last year and not on the field.

Except Atlanta has had a top 5 rushing attack for what 6 out of the last 7 years?

I don't want to take anything away from Matt Ryan as I would have loved to have had him on the 'Fins. However, Atlanta sucked 2 years ago because their QB whom they based their entire team around was put into prison just before the season and their coach quit half way through the season to take another job. They were only a year removed from being a very good team but had a hellish year. What I am saying is that Matt Ryan walked into a very solid football team that complemented his style and had the ability to mask his lack of experience and shortcomings.

Miami was a total disaster nearly void of any talent due to attrocious personnel managment for the better part of ten years. If we had taken Ryan, he would have looked about like Beck did because he would have been crushed about every other play. Parcells has a system, build from the inside out. The lines come first, especially with an ex o-line coach as the new head coach. Long definitely was the best choice for us at that time. If put in that situation with the team as it sits today, I would still not take Ryan...Chris Long would be my choice.

Except Atlanta has had a top 5 rushing attack for what 6 out of the last 7 years?

Not only that but they have an established Oline and developed recievers. Miami went through a massive roster purge. They cut 60% of the team so most of these guys had no chemistry with one another. Ryan looks like he is going to be a solid QB and Long loots to be a solid tackle. If we were to of swapped picks which if we would of took Ryan might of very well been that atlanta would of taken long. I think Long would of still had a probowl year and Ryan would gotten deystroyed if we tried to of started him. The biggest question in my mind is how good is Henne going to prove to be. If he is as good as he is being billed as being then our draft was as sucessfull as atlantas if not more so.

Back
Top Bottom