Marvez: Dolphins starting Tannehill is a mistake | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Marvez: Dolphins starting Tannehill is a mistake

What about Dalton, Ryan, Flacco was starting them mistakes?

no, because they had better teams around them. Even Dalton was drafted with a beast a of a receiver in AJ green.

Tannenhill has....Devon Bess. If Brandon Marshall didn't get traded, it wouldn't be so bad.

Alex(i didn't even realize it was the same dude on NFL radio) is completely right. You throw an unpolished rookie QB out to the wolves with no weapons and no help, you're going to ruin him. Tannenhill isn't a 3-4 year starter etc at college that's ready to go. He has a lot of learning to do and it would have benefited him to sit for a year..or at LEAST half a year.

If you want a better (more recent) comparison to what Tannenhill is going to deal with, look at Blaine Gabbert.

as much as it pains me to say this, i somewhat agree with jets_fan. Unless a WR steps it up big time, or our new system is VERY QB friendly, i think Tannehill may have a very hard time adjusting to the speed/skill level of the NFL. We have to wait and see. I however do not want a recurrence of the past where we do not have an established starting QB mid way through the season. I'm in favor of trial by fire, but not at the expense of a talented, yet green player (no pun intended)...

ALL these sports writers are hacks and NOTHING else.

but i find it funny as hell that when the homers agree with [place hacks name here] they all come on the board with their "well, your wrong! even [place hack here] said its so and he has the pulse of the team!!

OR: if they disagree [as in this situation] then the hack is indeed A HACK and knows nothing about the game and should go off and die somewhere.

sigmund freud would have a field day with sports boards!! :lol:

Who all were, if I'm not mistaken, drafted number one overall because of their superior talent and experience to almost all QB prospects. Not exactly players who had 17 or so games at QB in college.

Besides, naming players who survived doesn't make the practice right. What about Jimmy Clausen, John Beck, Jamarcus Russel, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, Tim Couch, Heat Schuler, Kyle Boller, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, (Mark Sanchez?) etc, who played pretty early and stagnated?

What about guys like Rodgers and Rivers, who sat multiple seasons? Heck, toss in Drew Brees, and you've got the statistically most productive QB's in the league, and all three were highly drafted and all three sat at least a year.

You can make cases for both sides. Each person is different. John Beck though wasn't really thrown to the wolves. Cam started him really late in the season and didn't even want to do it. And Jimmy Clausen... well that is a guy who I could rant about for a long time but that's a discussion for another time.

In some cases though, guys have weaknesses exposed that were hidden in college.

There is something about Tannehill that I think will be different that other rookie QB we've had around here. I can't put my finger on it. He doesn't have swagger, or a lot of commotion happening around him, as compared to Luck and RG3, but he does exude a quiet confidence. I like he's able to read defenses somewhat and make adjustments at the line. Henne would just line up and run the play that was given to him.

I think there will be growing pains, but I think he'll do well.

Mark it down now... Ithink he'll do better than sanchez up in New York this year, and better than whoever that overrated QB is up in Buffalo.

I'm thinking he will be similar to Gabbert last season. Without weapons, he'll struggle but as long as he isn't killed, he'll learn the speed of the game on the job. The good news comparing him to Gabbert is he looks a lot better this preseason, but that's thanks to his new rookie target Blackmon

I hope everyone will remain patient with Tanny when he struggles this year.

You guys need to chill already. Preseason isn't over and guys are about to start getting cut all over the place. There is no telling who gets picked up or traded. Even if they go with the roster they have, Tannehill has people to throw too. Fasano, Clay, Bess, (Hartline eventually), all our running backs are good pass catchers, too. Does Pruitt or 7-11 turn in to anything? We'll see...

no, because they had better teams around them. Even Dalton was drafted with a beast a of a receiver in AJ green.

Tannenhill has....Devon Bess. If Brandon Marshall didn't get traded, it wouldn't be so bad.

Alex(i didn't even realize it was the same dude on NFL radio) is completely right. You throw an unpolished rookie QB out to the wolves with no weapons and no help, you're going to ruin him. Tannenhill isn't a 3-4 year starter etc at college that's ready to go. He has a lot of learning to do and it would have benefited him to sit for a year..or at LEAST half a year.

While I agree about Marshall I think the fact that Tannehill worked in this system with the same coach is an important distinction in this case. While he doesn't have a ton of experience... ALL OF IT is inside the system designed by the man who is his OC now. His learning curve is simply NOT that big in terms of the playbook.

I think when you talk about ruining a player you are, more often than not, talking about confidence... When I look at him in preseason and college I see a kid not afraid to make mistakes... THIS might be his greatest attribute if fostered correctly. Yes this does mean we are going to get stung by some awful decisions and pick 6's... He is a rook. But you cannot adjust to the speed of the game and learn to make quick decisions if you play with fear... The kid has a good head on his shoulders and all the tools... He just needs to shut everything out and take it one series at a time...

Also he is the 17th QB in Miami since Dan the Man... Oddly ironic considering his number... That is simply INSANE. More than any other team. This franchise needs to go about the business of evaluating and making quicker decisions on its roster... You simply cannot survive with a rotating carousel of guys under center... We have to be much better at evaluating talent and cutting bait... The only way we will ever know if the kid can play is if he plays.

"Also he is the 17th QB in Miami since Dan the Man... Oddly ironic considering his number... "

Marino also played 17 seasons down here in Miami... Maybe the stars are aligning :-)

"Also he is the 17th QB in Miami since Dan the Man... Oddly ironic considering his number... "

Marino also played 17 seasons down here in Miami... Maybe the stars are aligning :-)

"17" was also my mother's, father's, and godmother's birthdays. Just another reason to continue including it on the Lotto boards!

ALL these sports writers are hacks and NOTHING else.

but i find it funny as hell that when the homers agree with [place hacks name here] they all come on the board with their "well, your wrong! even [place hack here] said its so and he has the pulse of the team!!

OR: if they disagree [as in this situation] then the hack is indeed A HACK and knows nothing about the game and should go off and die somewhere.

sigmund freud would have a field day with sports boards!! :lol:
Marvez hates Tannehill starting, Prisco loves it. Still can't stand either one of them or think they are good at what they do. Just like Adam Schien said good things recentely about Tannehill and Philbin, my opinion of him being a complete idiot is not going to change.

I am so tired of hearing him quoted on this board.....He clearly hates and attacks the Dolphins every chance he gets...I would think he would be on ignore on this board.

THIS!!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It's a win-win for the Dolphins FO.
If he sucks than the whole team gets a free pass this season as he develops
If he wins, then they look like geniuses.

And THAT is why we probably shouldn't start him. "IF HE WINS". The part people are missing about why he shouldn't start is they are adding "if he wins". He can easily be 12 of 35 for 85 yards, 4 picks and 6 sacks, AND PLAYED PERFECT. If every throw is rushed because we have no right side of the line, and every perfectly thrown pass bounces off the stone hands he is throwing to, and bounces into the hands of a safety 5 yards behind the WR, that doesn't equal bad QB play. He is being thrown into a no win situation.

Back
Top Bottom