((merged x3)) The Official Hindsight is 20/20 thread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

((merged x3)) The Official Hindsight is 20/20 thread

what blows my mind is why its taken defenses so long to stop him. is the pistol offense that hard to stop? havent other running QBs (Vick, Young, Newton etc) given us a template for stopping them?

Newton is twice the QB that Kaep is. It's not even close.

I can't believe everyone else missed on Cam Wake when he came out. Oh wait, so did the Dolphins.

Everyone missed on Kaepernick in the draft except SF b/c he made it through the first round. If they knew he'd be playing this well 9 games into his second season, they would have taken him in the 1st. However, i can understand why he fell. His throwing motion is funky (guys read his arm motion and jump routes) but he's been able to get away with it b/c he throws a laser. He never had to make complex reads in his pistol offense and was able to run when his initial reads weren't there. The 49ers haven't asked him to do a whole lot this year until that playoff game.....and he shined. Will he continue to do so? Maybe. But everyone thought the same of Cam Newton and he's regressed a little once teams figured him out, be it his running or his throwing tendencies. Who knows if Kaepernick ends up being a stud or comes back to earth next season (or next game). But these knee-jerk reaction posts each year get old.

He is nothing more than "the flavor of the month". He is a shooting star. What makes them effective will also make his career short. There's a reason why he didn't start the season. That would've gave other teams a chance to deal with his unique talent. The brilliance of Harbaugh is that he waited so the 49ers could ride out his "window" of effectiveness quite possibly to a Super Bowl victory.

Newton's actually having a great year, the media just wants to downplay him because his team is ****. Kaep is a pretty poor thrower. He only gets rocking when teams are absolutely forced to spy him rather than blitz him. He can't really read progressions and he has accuracy issues at every level besides intermediate. Re-watch that game Sunday. He had a half dozen throws with a wide open receiver that were just terrible, 3 of which were on 3rd down. 2 on 2nd. One was a blown TD opportunity.

He has an opportunity to improve his throwing ability though, so even if teams are able to stop him running he can still be a productive QB. I like the kid, so I really hope he does well in this league.

dear op. didn't read. Stopped bothering when I noticed you somehow deemed to type everything in all caps.

When Alex Smith spurned the Dolphins and resigned with the 49ers there were several threads started here suggesting Miami try to trade for Kaepernick and just about everybody here said hell no "Kaepernick sucks", "He'll be on the waiver wire soon", "Wouldn't give up a 5th rounder for him". So a lot of people here can't say much about Miami not drafting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaep is nasty. The kid is a leader, solid arm, great size, fierce, and intense....bad-ass is correct.

All that plus a killer defense, a coach with balls, + Gore, Crabtree, Davis and one helluva an o-line and they are Superbowl worthy.

He was always a difficult player to evaluate, IMO. Lots of flaws but he produces lots of points. I remember the first game he started at Nevada as a freshman. Might have been redshirt freshman. I was winning bets on Boise State right and left, particularly first half bets. They were hosting Nevada as roughly a 26 point favorite. It was a Sunday night game. I had Boise State -13 for the first half and expected to cruise. Then this gangly kid with a bizarre name immediately started making plays and put up an early touchdown. Finally he settled down and made a mistake or two. Boise State got ahead by 14 and I felt rather smug. Then the gangly jerk made more plays. I never had a chance. That ended up as a famous game, like 203-201 in 27 overtimes, or something like that. Give or take a hundred and a half.

Kaepernick never struck me as an NFL quarterback at that point. His completion percentage was relatively low for most of his college career. Feasted on weaklings but had trouble stepping up in class, other than against Boise State, who he apparently had a grudge against, based on a recruiting issue. Even the fantastic rally to defeat the great Boise State team of 2010 came attached with concerns, because Kaepernick looked overmatched in the first half. Boise State led by several touchdowns. Our own Rishard Matthews helped rescue that game for Nevada.

If you stuck this guy in anything resembling a conventional style I think he'd look awful in big stretches. Other posters have commented on his awkward delivery and weakness on some types of throws. It took a massive adjustment and risky commitment by Harbaugh. More power to him. I thought it was a mistake, jeopardizing San Francisco's chances in 2012. I still think Kaepernick could look terrible against the wrong opponent but the NFL doesn't provide many defensive chores like that these days. If Seattle had hosted San Francisco in a playoff game I suspect it would have been lopsided again, like the regular season. I realize that game would have been played in San Francisco. Merely pointing out his vulnerability based on situational influence. He needs home games and/or vulnerable defenses.

I can't really fault the Dolphins for failing to nab him as early as required. The Pat White experiment had recently failed. Sparano was still here. Daboll was the coordinator and I don't believe he had any experience in a pistol type offense.

BTW, when he covered the -3.5 last weekend Kaepernick was forgiven for the 2007 first half against Boise State.

The 49ers have the best o line in football and spent 3 first round picks on lineman. They also hit on numerous defensive players. Saying we missed on kapernick is stupid. Matt Ryan has a stacked team and consistently chokes in the playoffs. Did we miss on Tom Brady too?

You wanna talk about bad picks? Jamar fletcher John Avery yatil green odrick pat white egnew miller ted ginn Jason Allen. That's how many wasted 1st round picks? In the case of miller egnew and white just complete garbage wasted picks that everyone saw as horrible. Trading up for Daniel Thomas, Marshall the db and Wr. Columbo instead of a legit rt so many mistakes but Matt Ryan or kapernick would be the difference? Please.

I can understand the frustration on us missing Matty Ice. That dude was a sure thing and it still irks me that we didnt draft him with the first pick.

However to be mad about not drafting Kaepernick is just insane. NO ONE except for John Harbaugh knew this kid was gonna be that good. And plus lets give Tannehill some time folks, in the long run I think Tannehill will have the better career. That pistol offense that the Niners run is gonna get figured out just like the Wildcat.

why no crying over missing on joe flacco. He's got a better playoff record than matt ryan. He consistantly had the ravens in contention.

Mike Smith won coach of the year that year because he did more with less. That's what was said at the time by the media.

I was watching a show on ESPN a few days ago, before the championship games. They were previewing those games and had Parcells as a guest.

When asked what he thought the strenghts of each team were, he immediately started talking offensive lines and running games, praising SF for their building up "the best OL personnel-wise in the league". Not a word about the playmakers they have.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about having a solid OL and ground game, but the game is evolving in a different direction and those things don't matter as much as they used to. Today it's all about QBs and playmakers, which he didn't seem to care about.

Then he began discussing Atlanta. He called them an atypical team, because they don't run or defend the run very well, and don't have a very good OL.

Not one word about Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, White or Gonzalez. The only positive thing he had to say about Atlanta's approach to the game was that they are a passing team that doesn't commit many turnovers and penaltyes. That was all.

In my mind, that sums up Parcells' outdated, "I'm smarter than all of you because I won games in the 80's" way of thinking. The guy wanted to bring back 1940's style football just to prove how smart he is, and to me that says it all.

What scares me is that when he came to Miami, he brought his own guys with him, guys who he thought shared this exact philosophy. Tony "let's take our hot handed Qb out of the game so we can run our stupid gimmick formation" or better yet "run, run, 5 yard pass, punt" Sparano, and Jeff "I'm going to pass on every playmaker available just to draft some guy nobody's ever heard of so I can look like a badass and prove everyone else wrong" Ireland.

To me, discussing this topic is not living in the past, because one of these guys is still with the Dolphins and will soon be in charge of 46 million in cap space and 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Given his track record, I honestly see no reason for anybody to be sure that he will get the right pieces for this team. People don't change their way of thinking over night, he won't become Ted Thompson just because people want him to.

Back
Top Bottom