Michael Egnew... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Egnew...

davis outside of revis could be the 2nd best corner in the afc...the staff even knows it...all the talent in the world...but he doesn't want it...frustrating...still you take him out of the lineup and the corners wear a target...

egnews getting like 10 plays a game or something with the future 9 to 5ers...big deal if he makes a catch against that camp fodder

"Wanting it" and otherwise being together mentally is part of talent, no? A guy with all the physical ability who doesn't have it upstairs isn't worth much of anything. Nolan Carroll is probably more physical gifted than Vontae but he just doesn't have the field awareness to do anything but wear a target.

Sean Smith has his liabilities and doesn't look traditional but he also has some impressive physical gifts. His arms are ridiculously long, he's smart, he can track the ball in the air, can leap, has good speed. He doesn't have great short area quickness and can't tackle but if you're a quarterback the guy scares you because he can get his hands on balls other corners don't have a shot at. That makes you readjust your standard of "open" and make you throw a more conservative ball if you're going to try and fit it in there.

If you can't recognize his gifts you're letting your dislike of him get the better of your good sense. Not every good corner has to be built the same way or play the same.

So 2 pre-season games in and everyone is ready to fold on the kid?

Sheesh, just because hard knocks put in a good clip of a young kid being chewed out with a "Welcome to the NFL, this is a business" speech everyone is ready to throw him out and label him a failure?

Cmon now.

And for everyone crying about 3rd round picks not being project players what about Jimmy Graham?

Disclaimer: I am in no way saying Egnew is the next Jimmy Graham.

Give the guy some time.
Everyone and theirs mothers knew jimmy graham was going to be a beast. If you watched cane games you could tell the kid was a special talent. He was right there 4 the taking and Ireland draft another scrub. Eggnog will be nothing more than a backup.

You know y Davis will never put all that physical talent into becoming a pro bowl corner becuz he's dumb as an ox. Have you heard him talk mofo sounds like Rick James.

Rick James? I wish. He sounds like Macy Gray on helium. I was shocked when I heard him speak his rookie year- seriously, he sounds either retarded or like a child. Both Davis and Smith have talent, and both have frustrated. Davis is more talented, but he's a lazy head case and as dumb as a rock. Smith has talent, is quicker than I thought, but it's time for him to bust a move if he wants to be considered an asset and not a liability.

An army of straw men being erected in this thread.
Please bro I've been reading these forums 4 6 yrs. stop acting like you know it all. You thought Samson satele was a good pick. Please go have a drink at your local pub.

Please bro I've been reading these forums 4 6 yrs. stop acting like you know it all. You thought Samson satele was a good pick. Please go have a drink at your local pub.

You mean the same Samson Satele that has started 74 games since being drafted in 2007 and continues to be a starter today? That Samson Satele?

Thanks for the contribution, bro.

You mean the same Samson Satele that has started 74 games since being drafted in 2007 and continues to be a starter today? That Samson Satele?

Thanks for the contribution, bro.
Scrub player on a scrub team. All you do is defend average players. You remind me of mr Ireland.

"Wanting it" and otherwise being together mentally is part of talent, no? A guy with all the physical ability who doesn't have it upstairs isn't worth much of anything. Nolan Carroll is probably more physical gifted than Vontae but he just doesn't have the field awareness to do anything but wear a target.

Sean Smith has his liabilities and doesn't look traditional but he also has some impressive physical gifts. His arms are ridiculously long, he's smart, he can track the ball in the air, can leap, has good speed. He doesn't have great short area quickness and can't tackle but if you're a quarterback the guy scares you because he can get his hands on balls other corners don't have a shot at. That makes you readjust your standard of "open" and make you throw a more conservative ball if you're going to try and fit it in there.

If you can't recognize his gifts you're letting your dislike of him get the better of your good sense. Not every good corner has to be built the same way or play the same.

for all his physical gifts that you guys like to bring up why is sean smith always off balance or taking extra recovery steps when guys gear down or cut??? he's long and that's great and all but he can't match feet and balance with most top 2 level wrs in this league...he shut down ocho in camp cause ocho was washed up...guys gonna wear a target starting in a few weeks here...you can run any route you want against him on the boundary and feel comfortable your wr is gonna win...

I'm of the opinion that Vontae is going to have a very good year and Smith will eventually become the 3rd corner covering TE's and slot receivers.

i know his size is a disadvantage against smaller slot receivers but he can not tackle one lick. Marshall is good vs the run and so is Davis.

i believe the staff knows Vontae's potential and are trying to get his FULL attention by playing him 2nd team.

First time i've ever sided with Hoops vs CK so i could be wrong :chuckle:

So 2 pre-season games in and everyone is ready to fold on the kid?

Sheesh, just because hard knocks put in a good clip of a young kid being chewed out with a "Welcome to the NFL, this is a business" speech everyone is ready to throw him out and label him a failure?

Cmon now.

And for everyone crying about 3rd round picks not being project players what about Jimmy Graham?

Disclaimer: I am in no way saying Egnew is the next Jimmy Graham.

Give the guy some time.

Everyone and theirs mothers knew jimmy graham was going to be a beast. If you watched cane games you could tell the kid was a special talent. He was right there 4 the taking and Ireland draft another scrub. Eggnog will be nothing more than a backup.

Lets be real, people knew Jimmy had some "promise" but no one thought he would be a top 5 TE in the league. Anyone saying otherwise is just trying to sound like some know it all.

Yes, everyone knew a one year college TE that transitioned from basketball was going to be a beast in the league. Give me a break.

I followed Jimmy in college, hell I went to school with the guy and everyones thought when they heard he switched? "Jimmy couldn't cut it in basketball so now he's scrapping for football playing time".

Some guys on this board always trying to sound like Cpt. Planet.

You know y Davis will never put all that physical talent into becoming a pro bowl corner becuz he's dumb as an ox. Have you heard him talk mofo sounds like Rick James.

He actually scored a 33 on his wonderlic test which was 4th best at the combine
Tom Brady also scored a 33, Chad Henne 22, Tim Tebow 22,

Marino scored a 15 for comparison

Morris Claiborne scored the lowest wonderlic score ever with a 4

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo.../2009/04/dolphins_davis_scored_a_33_on_1.html

frabzOneDoesNotSimplySummonCaptainPlanet-1.jpg

You've been reading these forums for 4.6 years? No wonder you're brain is so far gone... sorry dude, but your trolling is not the fun type, it's the really annoying type.

And btw, I think hooshops is wrong about Sean Smith. The pass defense has not usually been horrendous in the last few years, and when it has, the safeties and LBs have been much more to blame than the CBs.

Back
Top Bottom