Nick Saban: Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nick Saban: Dolphins had picked Brees over Culpepper

Furthermore, the transition from one job to another is an inherently tricky business, even for people who are not in the public eye. Any person contemplating leaving one organization to join another owes his current employer the courtesy of not jeopardizing ongoing operations by engaging in public rumination about the prospect of resigning.

Jaworski and these other sanctimonious ESPN types talk and write as if Saban's loyalty should have flowed to them, to the sports press, as if Saban owed the public full disclosure of all that he was thinking regarding the Alabama job. In fact, by denying interest in the Alabama job until he had definitely decided to accept Mal Moore's offer, Nick Saban was correctly showing loyalty to the Dolphins organization, which was his professional responsibility for as long as he remained on their payroll.

If anyone wants to blame the mess in Miami on Saban, that's fine.. but don't keep raking him over the coals for denying interest in a job before he had even received an offer.

Mal Moore understood how Saban was feeling because he also made the mistake of jumping to the NFL from college back in the mid 80's. The two did not even speak to each other on the phone until after both Alabama's season and the Dolphins season were over. When he said he wasn't going to be the Alabama coach, he had neither been offered the job, nor spoke to the man that was going to offer him the job. Nor did he know that Huizenga was going to let him out of his contract when he said he wasn't going to be the Alabama coach.

The fallout for letting folks assume that you lied is less severe than the chaos that would result if you told the truth. That's the way the business works now, especially when the media keeps pushing for an answer that you're neither capable nor ready to give.

Nick Saban is a great guy, and he shouldn't have to put up with stupid crap like someone saying hello to him in an elevator or a secretary bringing the wrong brand of snack cakes.

Nick Saban is a great guy, and he shouldn't have to put up with stupid crap like someone saying hello to him in an elevator or a secretary bringing the wrong brand of snack cakes.

Your damn skippy and u better remember it.

Furthermore, the transition from one job to another is an inherently tricky business, even for people who are not in the public eye. Any person contemplating leaving one organization to join another owes his current employer the courtesy of not jeopardizing ongoing operations by engaging in public rumination about the prospect of resigning.

Jaworski and these other sanctimonious ESPN types talk and write as if Saban's loyalty should have flowed to them, to the sports press, as if Saban owed the public full disclosure of all that he was thinking regarding the Alabama job. In fact, by denying interest in the Alabama job until he had definitely decided to accept Mal Moore's offer, Nick Saban was correctly showing loyalty to the Dolphins organization, which was his professional responsibility for as long as he remained on their payroll.

If anyone wants to blame the mess in Miami on Saban, that's fine.. but don't keep raking him over the coals for denying interest in a job before he had even received an offer.

Mal Moore understood how Saban was feeling because he also made the mistake of jumping to the NFL from college back in the mid 80's. The two did not even speak to each other on the phone until after both Alabama's season and the Dolphins season were over. When he said he wasn't going to be the Alabama coach, he had neither been offered the job, nor spoke to the man that was going to offer him the job. Nor did he know that Huizenga was going to let him out of his contract when he said he wasn't going to be the Alabama coach.

The fallout for letting folks assume that you lied is less severe than the chaos that would result if you told the truth. That's the way the business works now, especially when the media keeps pushing for an answer that you're neither capable nor ready to give.

Good God Man!!! Stop using logic on these folks...

Notre Dame 31 Alabama 13 go Irish!

Silly Rabbitt,tricks are for kids.....I'll tell u what..I'll make a bet with u.
If ND puts 30 on Bama,I'll NEVER come on these boards again...will u do the same when Bama
slaps 30 on ND?

Now he just needs to come up with an excuse for drafting Ronnie Brown with the #2 pick, not to mention that flaming pile of garbage that was the 2006 draft-- one of the worst in team history.

Now he just needs to come up with an excuse for drafting Ronnie Brown with the #2 pick, not to mention that flaming pile of garbage that was the 2006 draft-- one of the worst in team history.

Clearly someone else's fault.

Nick Saban is:

A) A really, really good coach
B) Serially doomed to sabotage himself if/when he coaches pro again
C) A liar
D) A guy who runs away from his own mistakes
E) A complete and total /\sshole that inspired hatred from nearly everyone he worked with professionally
F) A guy who would rather point fingers than accept responsibility for his own actions
G) Someone that had a rare shot at two elite QBs and passed on both
H) All of the above

Saban's explanation on Breed reeks of the same self-serving disingenuous attitude that has been apparent for years.

I love how he adds, I've never talked about this before. So incredibly smarmy, self-serving, and completely and totally a lie. Yes he's talked about it before. He made sure EVERYONE knew that Brees was his guy but that the doctors said no. He said it publicly, he said it privately, he made sure everyone knew about it and if you're truly only finding this out now then you haven't been paying attention.

What this explanation is, is a clever, self-serving way of diffusing responsibility. He is creating an institution, creating laws of the universe that don't exist. He chose Brees, he had him signed. The doctors said no. Its not his fault. He is bound by the laws of heaven, physics and creation to trust one set of doctors opinions over another. What was that? Oh, you mean in his interview Nicky forgot to mention that the preeminent expert in the field of sports orthopedic surgery, the man who personally conducted Drew Brees' surgery and oversaw his progress checks, had give Drew a prognosis of full 100% recovery after a checkup that occurred only days before Nick Saban had his final phone conversation with Brees? Nicky didn't mention that? I'm sooooo surprised!

That's the bottom line here. James Andrews conducted Brees' surgery and was very honest about the prognosis immediately afterward. Drew had a 360 degree rotator cuff tear and Andrews had to use more attachments than he'd ever used before. Quite frankly, Andrews wasn't sure it would take and he said so. So then he did a progress check to see if he was seeing the healing he needed to see. He was. It was during that checkup that Andrews gave his 100% recovery prognosis. This happened the weekend before Drew had his final conversation with Saban.

There are also some inconsistencies between Saban's story and Drew's account of events. I don't even know if it pays to get into them but I'll put it this way, the Dolphins still had an offer on the table when Drew chose the Saints. Saban wants to characterize the whole deal as essentially having been vetoed by doctors. Not the case. The Dolphins' own doctors studied Drew's case, gave their own opinions, and then the ball was in Nicky's court as for what to do. Naturally since Saban himself is a liar, I have no doubt he thought James Andrews had every reason to lie about Drew's prognosis, since he's the one that did the work. Funny thing about liars, they see themselves in everyone around them. The Dolphins next course of action was not to pull the offer completely off the table but rather to lowball Drew based on the riskiness of the shoulder outlook. So even though Saban would like to pretend it was completely out of his hands once the doctors gave their opinion, that just wasn't the case.

It was, and remains, a judgment call...one that Sean Payton got right, and Nick Saban got wrong. But instead of accepting responsibility for that, he CONTINUES to point fingers and tell anyone who will listen that none of it was his fault. Just like he explicitly and blatantly pointed fingers at Randy Mueller for bringing bad players to his attention instead of taking responsibility for signing bad players since Nicky was in fact the GM. Just like he'll freely tell anyone "off the record" how much he was hand cuffed by Wayne Huizenga with respect to coach choices and a myriad other things. Just like his great big lie to the media was actually the media's fault.

Nothing is ever his fault.

In that way, he probably would make a great politician after all.

Beyond that, Dullpecker without Moss before he went down with an injury proved himself to be quite pedestrian. That coupled with him being one of the dullest knives in the drawer and questions now about mobility, his greatest strength now likely compromised didnt exactly make him a compelling choice, let alone a fall back alternative. Bottom line: if Brees's injury was too concerning there was no overriding reason for Saban to sign Dumbte . So yet another QB cluster**** was again Saban's screw-up.

Saban's explanation on Breed reeks of the same self-serving disingenuous attitude that has been apparent for years.

I love how he adds, I've never talked about this before. So incredibly smarmy, self-serving, and completely and totally a lie. Yes he's talked about it before. He made sure EVERYONE knew that Brees was his guy but that the doctors said no. He said it publicly, he said it privately, he made sure everyone knew about it and if you're truly only finding this out now then you haven't been paying attention.

What this explanation is, is a clever, self-serving way of diffusing responsibility. He is creating an institution, creating laws of the universe that don't exist. He chose Brees, he had him signed. The doctors said no. Its not his fault. He is bound by the laws of heaven, physics and creation to trust one set of doctors opinions over another. What was that? Oh, you mean in his interview Nicky forgot to mention that the preeminent expert in the field of sports orthopedic surgery, the man who personally conducted Drew Brees' surgery and oversaw his progress checks, had give Drew a prognosis of full 100% recovery after a checkup that occurred only days before Nick Saban had his final phone conversation with Brees? Nicky didn't mention that? I'm sooooo surprised!

That's the bottom line here. James Andrews conducted Brees' surgery and was very honest about the prognosis immediately afterward. Drew had a 360 degree rotator cuff tear and Andrews had to use more attachments than he'd ever used before. Quite frankly, Andrews wasn't sure it would take and he said so. So then he did a progress check to see if he was seeing the healing he needed to see. He was. It was during that checkup that Andrews gave his 100% recovery prognosis. This happened the weekend before Drew had his final conversation with Saban.

There are also some inconsistencies between Saban's story and Drew's account of events. I don't even know if it pays to get into them but I'll put it this way, the Dolphins still had an offer on the table when Drew chose the Saints. Saban wants to characterize the whole deal as essentially having been vetoed by doctors. Not the case. The Dolphins' own doctors studied Drew's case, gave their own opinions, and then the ball was in Nicky's court as for what to do. Naturally since Saban himself is a liar, I have no doubt he thought James Andrews had every reason to lie about Drew's prognosis, since he's the one that did the work. Funny thing about liars, they see themselves in everyone around them. The Dolphins next course of action was not to pull the offer completely off the table but rather to lowball Drew based on the riskiness of the shoulder outlook. So even though Saban would like to pretend it was completely out of his hands once the doctors gave their opinion, that just wasn't the case.

It was, and remains, a judgment call...one that Sean Payton got right, and Nick Saban got wrong. But instead of accepting responsibility for that, he CONTINUES to point fingers and tell anyone who will listen that none of it was his fault. Just like he explicitly and blatantly pointed fingers at Randy Mueller for bringing bad players to his attention instead of taking responsibility for signing bad players since Nicky was in fact the GM. Just like he'll freely tell anyone "off the record" how much he was hand cuffed by Wayne Huizenga with respect to coach choices and a myriad other things. Just like his great big lie to the media was actually the media's fault.

Nothing is ever his fault.

In that way, he probably would make a great politician after all.

Like I said, it was what it was...a judgment call. I would be less upset about it if he just owned up to it. Everyone makes mistakes. But he absolutely refuses to take ownership of his own mistakes.

I was told by someone who said he played in a charity basketball game with Drew Brees that the Dolphins never seemed very interested. I call bull sh in this one.

Geeze.....You girls are still butt hurt.

Back
Top Bottom