Report: Jeff Ireland to stay Dolphins GM despite bullying controversy | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Jeff Ireland to stay Dolphins GM despite bullying controversy

Dion Jordan DE 2013 0 0 0 14 2.0 Oregon
2013 2 54 Jamar Taylor CB 2013 0 0 0 7 Boise St.
2013 3 77 Dallas Thomas T 2013 0 0 0 6 Tennessee
2013 3 93 Will Davis CB 2013 0 0 0 4 Utah St.
2013 4 104 Jelani Jenkins OLB 2013 0 0 0 13 Florida
2013 4 106 Dion Sims TE 2013 0 0 1 13 6 32 1 Michigan St.
2013 5 164 Mike Gillislee RB 2013 0 0 0 3 6 21 0 Florida
2013 5 166 Caleb Sturgis K 2013 0 0 0 14 Florida
2013 7 250 Don Jones SS 2013 0 0 0 14 Arkansas St.
Passing Rushing Receiving
Year Rnd Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2012 1 8 Ryan Tannehill QB 2013 0 0 2 10 30 607 1005 6921 35 27 87 430 3 Texas A&M
2012 2 42 Jonathan Martin T 2013 0 0 2 7 23 Stanford
2012 3 72 Olivier Vernon DE 2013 0 0 1 2 30 15.0 Miami (FL)
2012 3 78 Michael Egnew TE 2013 0 0 1 0 16 7 69 0 Missouri
2012 4 97 Lamar Miller RB 2013 0 0 1 2 27 208 878 3 31 211 0 Miami (FL)
2012 5 155 Josh Kaddu LB 2013 0 0 0 0 5 Oregon
2012 6 183 B.J. Cunningham WR 2013 0 0 0 0 1 Michigan St.
2012 7 215 Kheeston Randall DT 2013 0 0 0 1 10 Texas
2012 7 227 Rishard Matthews WR 2013 0 0 0 1 22 47 532 2
Year Rnd Pick Pos To AP1 PB St CarAV G Cmp Att Yds TD Int Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD Int Sk College/Univ
2011 1 15 Mike Pouncey OL 2013 0 0 3 15 44 Florida
2011 2 62 Daniel Thomas RB 2013 0 0 0 7 38 354 1306 8 41 288 3 Kansas St.
2011 4 111 Clyde Gates WR 2013 0 0 0 2 32 2 16 0 30 365 0 Abilene Christian
2011 6 174 Charles Clay TE 2013 0 0 2 4 42 6 15 1 95 1129 11 Tulsa
2011 7 231 Frank Kearse DT 2013 0 0 0 3 14 1.5 Alabama A&M
2011 7 235 Jimmy Wilson DB 2013 0 0 0 5 44 3 2.0 Montana
2010 1 28 Jared Odrick DE 2013 0 0 2 13 47 1 15.5 Penn St.
2010 2 40 Koa Misi LB 2013 0 0 4 17 55 11.0 Utah
2010 3 73 John Jerry T 2013 0 0 3 13 55 Mississippi
2010 4 119 A.J. Edds LB 2012 0 0 0 0 11 Iowa
2010 5 145 Nolan Carroll DB 2013 0 0 2 7 56 4 2.0 Maryland
2010 5 163 Reshad Jones DB 2013 0 0 3 16 58 7 5.5 Georgia
2010 7 212 Chris McCoy DE 0 0 0 Middle Tenn. St.
2010 7 252 Austin Spitler LB

These are Irelands 4 drafts he has been in charge of. 4 to 1 dude? That's laughable. Go ahead and do the math now and prove you are right. Look at the 2012 draft class. The whole draft is contributing damn near. You have no clue what you are talking about. 4:1?lol

He has been GM since 2008 and his last draft was a bad as his first. Even if you want to 'cherrypick' the last 4 years, I count 8 out of 32 guys that you would say were good choices if you had to do it over. 4:1.

Not impressed because Ireland sucks at drafting and we resort to pick up others people trash. There is a reason these guys cant make other squads, because they are average. The homers around here greatly overestimate their ability. You aren't going to build a championship caliber team with acorns. The Ireland buttsniffers defense seems to be that there are worse GMs. This is true, but there are also much better GMs and I'm not scared to take a chance to rise above mediocrity.

I'm glad you brought up the Patsies, this is my whole argument. Just think how great of team they could have been if they didn't draft so poorly. Look at what Brady has had to play with on O over his career. Outside of Moss for a year, not much. Hall-of-Fame coaching and QB play has covered up a lot of their personnel mistakes and I think the same is starting to happen here.

What do you mean "make other squads"? I didn't know the players Ireland has drafted went for tryouts to other teams. I'm not going to argue with someone that is calling some of these players drafted by Ireland "acorns". I actually like this team...

Yeah, there's no way its 4:1. 2013 draft shouldn't be included in this as it is too early to evaluate that draft. It's quite obvious our coaching staff would rather have these players learn behind the vets at their positions. The only reason why Tanne was thrown into the fire was he didn't have anyone to learn from lol

Either way, I see a lot of talent and contributors in those drafts. And Tanne, whose ceiling we don't even know yet, should count as like 10 players.

Based on those drafts, and the fact that Ireland drafted what's looking to be our franchise QB for the next 10 years, he doesn't deserve to be fired.

Bull. If our rookies didn't suck they would be on the field, not standing on the sidelines watching guys we just picked up off the street play.

What do you mean "make other squads"? I didn't know the players Ireland has drafted went for tryouts to other teams. I'm not going to argue with someone that is calling some of these players drafted by Ireland "acorns". I actually like this team...

McKinnie (benched), Brenner, Thomas - all guys that couldn't play their way onto their previous team.

Bull. If our rookies didn't suck they would be on the field, not standing on the sidelines watching guys we just picked up off the street play.

I think you're referring to our CBs and Thomas playing this weekend. Well you should actually watch the game because Thomas was our last option. And Will Davis was out there before Thomas was. So none of our rookies were watching someone of the street play in their place. Quit speaking hyperbole Bayless.

Our Rookies don't suck, like you seem to think. They have SOLID vets playing in their place so they can be brought along slowly. You sir, are blind...

McKinnie (benched), Brenner, Thomas - all guys that couldn't play their way onto their previous team.

All of those players were picked up in an emergency situation. And they have produced. What the hell point are you even trying to make?

I think you're referring to our CBs and Thomas playing this weekend. Well you should actually watch the game because Thomas was our last option. And Will Davis was out there before Thomas was.

Our Rookies don't suck, like you seem to think. They have SOLID vets playing in their place so they can be brought along slowly. You sir, are blind...

Taylor cant get on the field and Davis is a huge liability we he plays. We pick up a guy off the PS and he makes more plays in one quarter then these 2 guys have all year. Dallas Thomas is the same way, watching guys picked up off a PS play in front of him. All four of our top picks can barely get on the field, despite the all the injuries. This plus Ireland horrific track record in rounds 2-3 suggest they suck.

i would say first thing you will watch is him dump a ton of money into the oline in free agency...seems to be his mo to date...try to fix problems with money vs the draft...and yeah he will definitely take some crappy players in the draft...you can set your watch to both

3 players from this draft class where on the field on the patriots last play.....jordan, davis and jenkins

He has been GM since 2008 and his last draft was a bad as his first. Even if you want to 'cherrypick' the last 4 years, I count 8 out of 32 guys that you would say were good choices if you had to do it over. 4:1.

I'm no Ireland supporter by any means but I do tell it like it is and I've said it before...25% hit rate, as in players that contribute and stick on an NFL roster, is about the league average. Only the elite drafting teams like Green Bay hit at near 40% of the players they draft.

Where Ireland has failed is in getting elite players and difference makers. I rated him last year at 15th out of 32...he's in the middle like our team has been for most of his tenure. His draft philosophies and player value chart is outdated. For instance, he values D-line and O-line above skill positions and while he's done a good job on D-line is been awful at finding O-lineman. I also question his ability to draft for a WCO and a 4-3 defense vs. Power scheme/vertical offense and 3-4 defense. I view his drafting of Olivier Vernon, he has developed extremely well but looks more like a 3-4 OLB, and Dion Jordan, also more of an OLB in the 3-4, as evidence. In his 6 drafts he has only drafted a WR in the top 3 rounds once...that was Patrick Turner, Egnew was more of a makeup draft pick IMO for missing Jimmy Graham who he waited too long for (I believe Ireland and Parcells wanted Graham in the 4th...undervaluing the position and the player in this case), but Egnew is the highest drafted TE he's had in his 6 drafts. A fairly important position in the WCO.

You can kind of tell which positions he feels comfortable drafting by the free agents he gets. He doesn't like drafting WRs so he would rather spend more money in free agency than taking the risk of drafting one, linebackers are another....Dansby, Burnett, Wheeler, Ellerbe are free agent signings while Misi (2nd round), Kaddu (5th round), Jenkins (5th round), Spitler (7th round) were his draft picks and Kaddu and Spitler were strictly supposed to be special teams. He's not spending high draft picks on linebackers. When you consider Long, Pouncey, Odrick and Jordan were 4 of his 6 picks in the first round you can quickly see his comfort zone is O-line and D-line in the draft. Vontae Davis didn't work out...again, no team hits 100% even in the first round that stuff happens and Tannehill was a no-brainer IMO. We needed a QB, Tannehill's HC was our new OC, Tannehill was a guy that I really wanted even though some were against it....that pick just made sense...so did Vontae really but it just didn't work out.

All of those players were picked up in an emergency situation. And they have produced. What the hell point are you even trying to make?

They were all picked up because the guys Ireland had drafted/signed in front of them failed. Martin, Taylor, Davis, Incog. While these guys have filled in admirably, they aren't great players like the homers around here are pretending and there is a reason these players weren't playing for their former teams.

Ireland fails, then plugs holes with below average guys and people like you applaud.

Taylor cant get on the field and Davis is a huge liability we he plays. We pick up a guy off the PS and he makes more plays in one quarter then these 2 guys have all year. Dallas Thomas is the same way, watching guys picked up off a PS play in front of him. All four of our top picks can barely get on the field, despite the all the injuries. This plus Ireland horrific track record in rounds 2-3 suggest they suck.

ZZzzzz... Such a waste of time. You're right man, our team sucks and everyone on it! Lets just start over!

Why I even bother is beyond me...

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

They were all picked up because the guys Ireland had drafted/signed in front of them failed. Martin, Taylor, Davis, Incog. While these guys have filled in admirably, they aren't great players like the homers around here are pretending and there is a reason these players weren't playing for their former teams.

Ireland fails, then plugs holes with below average guys and people like you applaud.

The fact that you're calling TAylor and Davis, two rookie CBs, failures is all I need to know about the person I'm arguing with.

Moving on!

3 players from this draft class where on the field on the patriots last play.....jordan, davis and jenkins

Davis was on the field by necessity...he certainly didn't earn it and getting him PT against Brady is the last thing you want to do. Jenkins got on the field cause Wheeler, his free agent signing, sucks. Wheeler was having another awful game, it was the right move to get him off the field and Jenkins has gotten more PT during the season to where the staff was comfortable putting him out there.

Where Ireland has failed is in getting elite players and difference makers.

Ireland does ok at the back end of the draft, I give him credit for that. He is really bad at the front end, where all the best athletes are. Typically he takes low impact guys in the 1st round and then completely whiffs in the next 2 rounds. So then he must spend tons in FA to address his draft shortcomings.

I actually like the Jordan pick, getting a playmaker/impact type of guy in round 1, but the person Ireland selects seems to not have a true position on this team.

Ireland does ok at the back end of the draft, I give him credit for that. He is really bad at the front end, where all the best athletes are. Typically he takes low impact guys in the 1st round and then completely whiffs in the next 2 rounds. So then he must spend tons in FA to address his draft shortcomings.

I actually like the Jordan pick, getting a playmaker/impact type of guy in round 1, but the person Ireland selects seems to not have a true position on this team.

He'd have a position if we were still running a 3-4. The Staff will have to make a decision with Jordan at the end of the season. Either tell him to put on 15+ pounds and put him permanently on the D-line or have him put on about 10 pounds and switch him to OLB. We've used him in coverage almost as much as we've used him to rush the passer. I'm not sure the staff even knows where they want him.

It pisses me off thinking what could have been if we had just signed Long, we're probably sitting at 11-3 right now, Philbin, Tannehill and even Ireland himself would be the talk of the town. We missed out on a huge opportunity at getting homefield advantage and a first round bye and all of the accolades that come with such an achievment. Accolades such as a lot more (positive) media attention, more prime time games, more fans in the seats, a more confident team, Tannehill and Philbin wouldn't have taken near as much **** from the fans.

So Ireland has at least one gaffe a year and this years gaffe was collecting interest on $20million instead of getting us at least ONE decent cornfed at tackle.

And to be clear, this is not revisionist history. I was very concerned by what the **** we were doing with our salary cap before the season even began:

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread.php?342615-Disturbing-Salary-Cap-Number

Back
Top Bottom