Ross leaning toward keeping Sparano / Ireland if they continue to win? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross leaning toward keeping Sparano / Ireland if they continue to win?

Get rid of all of them except Nolan. Nolan and his D are the foundation of this team.

Chiefs were in first place in the AFC West when we beat them...Buffalo was in contention for a wildcard when we beat them...Oakland was also in first place yesterday when we beat them...

Chiefs have held some very solid offenses to low scores, but we went off for 35 on them

Bills have put up big numbers on some very solid defenses, they only put 8 up on us

Oakland was rolling coming into Miami, and we basically shut them out, save for some late garbage points.

It's been an impressive run; and if you note "Fear the Mammals" section of this article http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7318214/icing-kicker-work
y
ou will see we are quite possibly the best 4-8 team ever and should be 7-5 if it wasn't for some bad breaks. Also, noted in the article, other teams who have had comparable turnarounds carry their momentum over into the following season; the most recent example being the Chargers who went from 4-8 to 8-8; then the following season went 13-3

The reason I say he's turning this team into a Juggernaut is because I feel like during this turnaround he finally "got it" and everything is coming together.

Just like players need to develop so do coaches, and I feel Tony is finally fully developed...and so do his players. The cache he's earning with them during this run is invaluable and will surely carryover to next season if we're smart enough to retain him.

I do agree that something has finally clicked with Sparano. I'm not willing to risk another 7-9 season on it. And I hope Ross isn't willing to keep forking out his money to "fill stadiums".

Sparano never lost his players, but he lost the fans awhile ago. Steve Ross is a fan and I hope he knows what needs to be done.

Regardless of what happens the next two games, it's going to come down to the final two games. Last year in Foxboro in week 17 the Pats made us look like a high school team, and Ross went after Harbaugh. If it happens again in Foxboro in week 16, and we lose to the Jets the next week, Sparano is gone. If we make the Pats game a good game, even if we don't win, and we beat the Jets at home to close out the season, Sparano will be back.

Have to disagree, if he loses any 2 of the last 4 games I think he's gone.

Get rid of all of them except Nolan. Nolan and his D are the foundation of this team.

Nolan has said (last offseason) he would leave if Sparano was fired, the only chance we have of keeping Nolan is offering him the head coaching gig.

7-9 7-9 7-9 4-8

But hey, I'm glad he's going to save his job by winning some meaningless games.

Our defense that is pretty decent when Vontae Davis is healthy and absolute garbage when he's out, yeah, that's a great foundation. Because Vontae Davis doesn't get injured.

We have big problems if our owner bases his decisions on what the fans want. Fan opinion has never been a good barometer for decision making. Like the comment about getting a big name. Outside of Gruden and Cowher, what big names are available? Jeff Fisher? He's had 5 seasons with a record of above .500 in a 17 year coaching career. Big name?

Fact is, if the Dolphins do make a change, you better be prepared to take an underwhelming coordinator in the Rob Ryan, Perry Fewell, Mike Zimmer category, or take an up and coming coordinator who has limited experience and may not be able to fill out a staff in the Jay Gruden, Dennis Allen, and Rob Chudzinski category.

My stance. I'm ready to make a change to go with a young, innovative mind that will be more aggressive with the game planning than Tony currently is. This idea that we have to make a change because that's what the fans want is stupid though. This team doesn't have to do anything the fans want as long as they make decisions that lead to wins.

The problem is Tony is making it really hard to remove him and save face, the players are playing for him, the offense is finally clicking and the Defense lit the fire under their *****. Moore is preforming better than expected, Marshal is coming alive, Bush is rushing the ball, the B&B backers are playing up to par and the secondary is creating turnovers.

If Tony goes 7-9 I said he needed to get the can but I'm not so sure giving the axe will ensure you get anything better. With question looming over Cowher and Gruden and Fisher as a potential third candidate there are simply too many factors at play to ensure you land a top tier candidate.

I am still not sold that Sparano gets a fifth year but damn, I would hate to tear down a house on a 6-2, 7-1 run if it happens. Who knows maybe the team losses out and everything is simple but if the players are playing for a coach when the team is 0-7 it speaks something to the mans character head coach or not next season.

Have to disagree, if he loses any 2 of the last 4 games I think he's gone.

Actually, I agree, unless we finish the season by beating both the Pats and the Jets, which is unlikely. I also think that for Sparano to be back we need to be at least competitive in all 4 games, and not embaressed by the Pats in a blowout like last year.

For those who are advocating that we keep Tony Sparano, I have some questions:

Do you agree that the team has improved markedly because Matt Moore is playing much better football than Chad Henne was?

Because if you do, how can you then support Sparano? It was Tony who promised us a 'fair competition' for the starting QB job, and then proceeded to watch Henne stink up the joint in training camp. It was Tony who watched Matt Moore outperform him in the preseason, and it was Tony who decided that Chad Henne was still the starting QB until he got injured.

And this is a trend. Tony does not like benching starters, even when they are being outperformed by their backups. How can you have any confidence that Sparano will put the best eleven guys on the field?

Do you agree that his clock management stinks? Do you agree that the team continues wasting valuable second half timeouts for no good reason? Do you also feel disgusted when he punts the ball on 4th and inches at the opposing 40, when down by six points in the fourth quarter?

Do you think that maybe the Miami Dolphins have a talented roster that is underachieving because the head coach is in over his head?

I am genuinely curious and would like Sparano supporters to provide honest answers, because I really feel this guy is a lousy coach. But maybe I'm missing something here.

We have big problems if our owner bases his decisions on what the fans want. Fan opinion has never been a good barometer for decision making. Like the comment about getting a big name. Outside of Gruden and Cowher, what big names are available? Jeff Fisher? He's had 5 seasons with a record of above .500 in a 17 year coaching career. Big name?

Fact is, if the Dolphins do make a change, you better be prepared to take an underwhelming coordinator in the Rob Ryan, Perry Fewell, Mike Zimmer category, or take an up and coming coordinator who has limited experience and may not be able to fill out a staff in the Jay Gruden, Dennis Allen, and Rob Chudzinski category.

My stance. I'm ready to make a change to go with a young, innovative mind that will be more aggressive with the game planning than Tony currently is. This idea that we have to make a change because that's what the fans want is stupid though. This team doesn't have to do anything the fans want as long as they make decisions that lead to wins.

Most new NFL coaches fail after a few years. Then they get hired somewhere else, and fail again. Remember the great hopes we had for Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban? A lot of people were ready to book reservations for the Super Bowl when those guys were hired. We were even bullish on the offensive genius Cameron! But it turned out he WAS offensive. Super Bowl winning retreads have been a particularly bad category. We don't want to become the Redskins.

Bottom line - if the Dolphins keep playing like they have the last 5 weeks, there's no way we should make a change. Next week vs. the Eagles could be a laugher, but the rest of them are tough games that will test whether we've had a true turnaround.

Most new NFL coaches fail after a few years. Then they get hired somewhere else, and fail again. Remember the great hopes we had for Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban? A lot of people were ready to book reservations for the Super Bowl when those guys were hired. We were even bullish on the offensive genius Cameron! But it turned out he WAS offensive. Super Bowl winning retreads have been a particularly bad category. We don't want to become the Redskins.

Bottom line - if the Dolphins keep playing like they have the last 5 weeks, there's no way we should make a change. Next week vs. the Eagles could be a laugher, but the rest of them are tough games that will test whether we've had a true turnaround.

A laugher in any of these last games will bury Sparano and destroy morale. Hope you're right!

4 years in a row of coming out of the gate slow and being left in a cloud of dust.
We need to get someone in here who's gonna get us going from game 1.... not game 10

Back
Top Bottom