Schefter: Tannehill may not be the answer for Dolphins | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Schefter: Tannehill may not be the answer for Dolphins

All I know is I'll watch other teams and they're players make *gasp* plays! Bush will break a nice gain here and there otherwise our WR go down by simply staring at them. Hartline himself could've scored a TD last week if he doesn't get tackled by air. Not that other QBs aren't playing well, but they're players are making plays for them maybe making them look better than they played.

Let's not even start on how our defense can't catch/get turnovers.

tannehill has sucked since indy??? lmao...WHAT

he lead a come from behind in the 4th quarter and passed for the game tying td and game winning field goal drive against seattle...
i assume this post was directed towards me because i have been saying he has stunk for the most part since indy, so ill respond.

i should say though since the 2nd half, the 1st half he was good.

look, i had hopes for tannehill and still do. by no means am i giving up on him. i was obviously excited about him or i would not have made him my sig and avatar lol. but i am also not blinded by the fact that his play has just not been the same since the 2nd half of the indy game.

you bring up 1 game, and it was deff impressive that 4th qtr vs seattle, no one will argue that ( although we know that only happened because he got bailed out by a pretty lame call on an int in the end zone penalty that had nothing to do with the actual pass)either way, it was impressive as he took advantage of a 2nd chance and brought us back, no arguments there.

However, how about his crap performances vs the titans, the bills, the pats, and yes i guess he wasn't awful vs the 49ers, but he was not great, and i know the 49ers have a very good defense, but guys like ponder and bradford have done well vs them this year, i am not saying he had to throw for 300, 3tds and win, but whatever ill give him slack vs the 49ers.

also, i really do not like the no talent excuse. yes we all understand he does not have a lot of talent surrounding him, no one will argue that, but he has the same wrs he did the 1st 7 games of the year where he looked a lot better. take the arizona game for example, the guy looked great, made ton of throws, was stepping up in pocket, i loved what i saw. same with the raider game, and even the bengals game. this all with the same talent he has now.

no one is getting on him because we r not winning the superbowl with him this year, no one expected that , but i would have liked to see improvement as the season went on, and you cant tell me he has improved from the beginning of the season. he clearly looked a lot better the 1st 7 games of season compared to his last 6 games.

i am by no means giving up on him, he deff deserves and will get another full year regardless, and hopefully with some better weapons, but seeing what he was able to do with the same weapons he has now and how he has not really looked the same since then, i am a bit frustrated.

ill deff give him the benefit of the doubt, my problem is with the ppl who refuse to lay any criticism towards him and make it seem like as of now he is playing great ball ( not referring to u, i have seen u make fair criticism . its one thing to believe he has shown signs that he can be a good qb, etc, but for some people who after every game now are refusing to acknowledge that he has not been playing well, i feel they r a bit biased. there were ppl after the bills game, and titans game defending him from those games.

lets see him improve the final 3 games and then we will see next year with hopefully more weapons what he can do.

it's the times we live in, everyone needs results now. No longer can you have patience watching a player develop and watching teams develop around that player. If he's not great now then he sucks forever. It's a shame, I hope he ends up sucking but I am concerned about him in our division for years to come.

A test I give myself to make sure I'm not being totally irrational when hating on a player is would I be worried if that player went to the Jets. I would be more than a bit concerned if we traded Tannehill to the Jets right now.

On the other hand I would laugh my ass off if you guys took Ireland off our hands. I loved the Sparano signing. Hopefully, you guys outbid us for Sean Smith this offseason too.

what terrifies me the most is him responsible for all the draft picks we have and cap room this upcoming offseason. Misuse of it can cripple this franchise for years.

honestly free agency should not be hard to figure out at this stage...i could tell ireland right now what he should do...the play on the field has cleared that up tremendously...

lots of no brainers if you ask me...

Ridiculous...this is what happens when someone anaylizes performances from the stat sheet mostly. We have a pathetic receiving corp, an O-line with some big holes and oh yeah.....he is still a rookie with half the career starts of the other rookies and is still in the process of learning to become a very good pro quarterback.

I have no doubt about this kids future....its up to the Dolphins to give him a team capable of winning.

What is starting to distress me the most is this team keeps investing top picks on O-lineman consistently going back to when we passed on Vince Wilfork for Carey....and we still have an incomplete line.

With some weapons and a few years under his belt I have little doubt that Tannehill will put up some sick stats, he'll end up at least second in most passing stats for the franchise I predict, he already has a couple of Marino's rookie records. Its the ability to grind out wins that has always been and still is my biggest concern. He has shown that he is capable of picking his game up late though so we'll just have to wait and see if he can do it consistently. The good news is if Tannehill is the real deal I believe Philbin is a good enough coach to get us to the promise land.

He's not performing as well as Luck, Griffin or Wilson, regardless of supporting cast. That's a simple fact.

Agreed. I think it is still too early to anoint any of the rookie QBs. They need to do it for multiple years. I believe Luck is probably a sure long term QB, but he needs to get better next year or his third year. Just like Cam from last year, RG3 and Wilson use their legs to save them more than their arm. Nothing wrong with running or extending the play (Big Ben), but it does make it harder to see if they will have the passing skills to be a top 10 QB every year. RG3 has benefitted from a very good offensive scheme, a very good running game, and a very good coach. My perceptions from the games I have watched is that he throws a a number of short throws opened by the running game and his own rushing skills. The option game certainly slows down the opposing rush.

As for Tannehill, I have significant concerns. It is way too early for me to state he is not the answer. Also, I do not feel I can criticize Shefter's statement that he may not be the answer. It is not a definitive statement, and I am not sure what Tannehill will become.

Let's put it this way: Trent Dilfer, who played the position in the league for over a decade and won a SB, and who has since become one of the more respected analysts around when it comes to breaking down QB play, thinks Tannehill will be a 'rock star', to use Dilfer's words. I'll go with that educated opinion, formed after studying the tape, with the professional credentials to back it up, before I'll go with the opinion of a guy who once threw a football growing up on Long Island.

Dilfer on Mark Sanchez:

"Sanchez is the unique talent of the last five or six draft classes because he has that Alpha male personality. He has that 'it factor.' Then physically he has the sudden feet, plenty of arm, is highly accurate, was mature beyond his years as a college player. He has a distinct advantage because of his makeup, the total package, and they're supporting him in such a great way.

You guys crack me up when you try to tell us we should listen to guys like Dilfer because they know what they're talking about. No. You want us to listen because Dilfer happens to agree with your stance. If Dilfer disagreed, you'd be bagging on him calling him a fluke and that the Raven's defense won that championship for him. Dilfer is an engaging personality on air, but like my friend once said - he's got 20 QB's in his Top 5.

Prior to the season, if we had been in a position to take Barkley in the draft, then I would have done it. That was based on two thoughts, Tannehill must have had a terrible season with us picking that high and Barkley was a can't miss prospect based on his 2011 performances.

We could be in a slot where we can draft Barkley but I'm in two minds now as so much has changed. Barkley and USC had a down year in 2012, and Tannehill hasn't been terrible (that's not to say he's been great either). Barkley's stock I think will rise closer to the draft that will make this is moot point, but right now where we are picking we would be able to pick him up. We could still get a 2nd or 3rd for Tanny I think in a trade. I see Barkley as a better prospect than Tanny, Tanny may have a higher ceiling though but what I doubt is his ability to reach that ceiling. Coin flip for me, but I was biased against Tanny when we picked him. However I do think we probably stick with Tanny for another 2 years before we seriously think through this question, but the fact that it's being asked at all is a concern.

For a kid that wasn't even supposed to whiff the field this season. A kid touted as someone who had to sit and learn for at least a year. For a kid who was reportedly raw, and needs development, he's playing about as well/poorly as I suspected. I was surprised during the first part of the year. But I think we're seeing what he is right now in his development. Teams have a body of work to study, then can game plan against our "play makers" or lack thereof.

Everyone called him the answer a few weeks ago, now they have doubt? I think everyone has forgotten what he was in the first place. Flirting with the notion of the playoffs was nice for a while, but now we can return to this season being truly a development year as it was supposed to be.

Ridiculous...this is what happens when someone anaylizes performances from the stat sheet mostly. We have a pathetic receiving corp, an O-line with some big holes and oh yeah.....he is still a rookie with half the career starts of the other rookies and is still in the process of learning to become a very good pro quarterback.

I have no doubt about this kids future....its up to the Dolphins to give him a team capable of winning.

What is starting to distress me the most is this team keeps investing top picks on O-lineman consistently going back to when we passed on Vince Wilfork for Carey....and we still have an incomplete line.
what is different between him and Mark Sanchez where neither of them had a lot of starts but one is going to be a star and one is probably done...

Tannehill has shown 1 or 2 flashes of good play not great play...

what is different between him and Mark Sanchez where neither of them had a lot of starts but one is going to be a star and one is probably done...

Tannehill has shown 1 or 2 flashes of good play not great play...

Sanchez has helped his team reach 2 title games, won 4 playoff games, been in postseason 2 of 3 years, never finished below .500 and is in another playoff race. Sanchez has been awful this year but he's had some very good games despite all the injuries and lack of talent around him.

Sanchez has helped his team reach 2 title games, won 4 playoff games, been in postseason 2 of 3 years, never finished below .500 and is in another playoff race. Sanchez has been awful this year but he's had some very good games despite all the injuries and lack of talent around him.

For all the criticism Tannehill is taking, The Jets are a perfect example of how you can take a decent QB, surround him with crap, and see his production plummet. The teams aren't entirely similar, but there are similarities.

For a kid that wasn't even supposed to whiff the field this season. A kid touted as someone who had to sit and learn for at least a year. For a kid who was reportedly raw, and needs development, he's playing about as well/poorly as I suspected. I was surprised during the first part of the year. But I think we're seeing what he is right now in his development. Teams have a body of work to study, then can game plan against our "play makers" or lack thereof.

Everyone called him the answer a few weeks ago, now they have doubt? I think everyone has forgotten what he was in the first place. Flirting with the notion of the playoffs was nice for a while, but now we can return to this season being truly a development year as it was supposed to be.

And that is the key really. He was a project when we picked him, I still think you don't pick a project, especially a long one with the 8th pick in the draft. We are stuck with him like it or not, the problem I see is that our D is ready to win now, with the addition of a few playmakers on O and a CB and Safety on D, we could be legitimate playoff contenders next year, but I still doubt Tanny will be ready for that. Years 3 and 4 are when he should be expected to lead this team.

Back
Top Bottom