Tannehill is not a winner, folks!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill is not a winner, folks!!!

How many big games did brady win in college!

Enough said, he was drafted in the sixth round, the problem with this team isn't Quarterback..the Offensive line SUCKS!!!

I really wish the comparison with Manning would not be made. Peyton had 28 INTs in his very first year but also 26TDs and threw for almost 4000 yards. To pull comparisons of any HOFer or potential HOFer with Tannehill is ridiculous. Just as declaring Tannehill a complete bust. With every Manning or Brady or Rodgers comparison I could pull a Sanchez or Leaf comparison. .

I really wish people would not complain about comparing Tannehill to Manning or any QB for that matter that in itself is rediculous,.Should we compare him to past punters or maybe special teamers?

The majority people are comparing rookie seasons of current starter QB's that had rough rookie seasons...its really that simple.

I mean, the OP is correct to this point: he hasn't won--didn't beat anyone in college, and has not been consistent for us or shown up in the clutch. But I think most of us think he should get more than 10 starts to see if he can figure out how to do so; he has the tools.

More protection would help, but there were plenty of throws he missed where he has the opportunity to step into the throw to complete it. His mechanics have regressed after the injury.

His oline regressed, horribly. That attributes to Miami's abysmal run game. Tannehill doesnt have near as enough time as he did from weeks 2-4. Its evident hes lost trust in his protections. Miami uses too much max pass protect in too many long down and distances. Less weapons for Tannehill to complete those, and with no run game you can load the box and drop 6 or more in coverage.

For comparisons sake, you can most defiantly compare a rookie to a rookie's past. Thats all the comparison is. Its what Peyton did the next season that truly showed his growth. Oh yea he had Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Marcus Pollard to help get all those touchdowns.

Review the play over again. Davone lost the ball in the air because Ryan made a check to him at the LOS. You can see Davone whip his head around looking for it. Thats what Ryan feels comfortable with is a WR whose top speed is 4.79 and stands a mere 5'10. He gains his separation in the slot and when split wide hes thrown slants and back shoulders. The Dolphins don't have crap WR, but the the certainly have NO DEEP THREAT. Just because they can run deep doesn't mean there a threat. Any reason why Hartline hasn't had a game like Arizona? Teams have taken that away.

Hey, I don't disagree with you that we have no bonifide deep threat.
It is quite normal though that teams take away a deep threat though (i.e. Hartline) but you can not tell me that Hartline in single coverage is not worth an attempt going deep. I hope we are talking about the same play with Bess but we can argue to no-end if Bess was at fault or not but if the safety comes over and makes the interception that means that the other side was in single coverage. Since deep passes are timing patterns Tannehill may have not recognized the coverage. Like I said we can argue to no-end and unless we know what is being said in the locker room we both just speculate.

My point is that it is not unusual for opposing teams to take away the #1 deep threat but it is up to the coaches to design plays around it and for the QB to execute these plays.

We both hope that Tannehill works out because otherwise we just invested a high draft pick, a boat load of money and another wasted season in failure.
:brewskis:

It is quite normal though that teams take away a deep threat though (i.e. Hartline) but you can not tell me that Hartline in single coverage is not worth an attempt going deep. I hope we are talking about the same play with Bess but we can argue to no-end if Bess was at fault or not but if the safety comes over and makes the interception that means that the other side was in single coverage. Since deep passes are timing patterns Tannehill may have not recognized the coverage. Like I said we can argue to no-end and unless we know what is being said in the locker room we both just speculate.

My point is that it is not unusual for opposing teams to take away the #1 deep threat but it is up to the coaches to design plays around it and for the QB to execute these plays.

We both hope that Tannehill works out because otherwise we just invested a high draft pick, a boat load of money and another wasted season in failure.

I agree too man. He just needs time and weapons. Its been a bitter week for all us dolphans lol....actually bitter 3 weeks.

Also Hartline doesn't demand double coverage. Miami needs a WR who can take the top off and requires double coverage, in same respects as stacking the box. I feel next offseason those things WILL be addressed and hopefully they will be addressed without Ireland.

I really wish people would not complain about comparing Tannehill to Manning or any QB for that matter that in itself is rediculous,.Should we compare him to past punters or maybe special teamers?

The majority people are comparing rookie seasons of current starter QB's that had rough rookie seasons...its really that simple.

But people compare him to Manning. Manning is a future HOFer. And when people make comparisons they look at INTs and not TDs and passing yards etc. It is cherry picking. Among those cherry pickings are that based on INTs Manning was worse. And based on INTs it was really not Manning but who he threw to. He threw his TDs and INTs to the same group of receivers all year. But INTs more often then not come with the ability of throwing deep passes. A QB like Manning, Marino, Rodgers, Favre etc are gun slingers. They take the chance deep more than the average QB. With that risk comes a higher number of INTs but the rewards (TDs, long gains) usually are worth the risk.
I would guess that over half the people here talking about Manning have never seen the guy play in 98. I did. Unless the games with the Dolphins crossed Indy was shown quite frequently in South FL. Back then Indy was in the AFC East. The Jets and Pats were the door mats. Manning threw the ball deep in his rookie year as often as Marino in his latter years. If you want to compare Tannehill to Manning you have to wait until Tannehill throws it 8, 9 10 times and more per game deep.

Those who think Tannehill is our franchise QB already compare him to Manning. What is to say that the nay-sayers can not compare him to Ryan Leaf who was selected right behind Manning at #2 and never amounted to anything? But these are two extremes and neither is a true indicator of Tannehill. I think a comparison within Tannehill's range would be much better and fairer to Tannehill. Manning is a true pocket passer who can dissect a defense with his arm strength. Tannehill is not and cannot. QBs coming out of college today are different athletes. You can not compare them (or the other way around) with the Mannings, Marinos, Kellys etc.

If you want to compare Tannehill to a starting QB why go over 14 years back when the understanding of a franchise QB was different than today?

Nope, no more than a veteran FA deal.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

People also forget about Manning is he had future HOFer talent around him from day 1.

Harrison and Faulk.

2 of the most important positions for a rookie qb.

To say he is a good QB or not right now is really stupid. No one knows unless you can see into the future. Some look great at points within their first year some don't. I'll bet some of the same so-called experts around here wish the Fins could have drafted Ryan Leaf. You people kill me. So many GD experts. You should be a GM to some team right now. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tannehill has regressed because the offense around him is regressing. Think about it. Jake Long is getting worse by the week. You can tell Tannehill feels a lot more uncomfortable in the pocket the last few weeks than when he was in early October. Long is going to get Tannehill killed. Martin is regressing, he's starting to get beat a lot as well. Incognito and all his boneheaded penalties is killing the offense's momentum, pushing Miami back, putting Tannehill in 3rd and longs. Reggie Bush has obviously regressed as well... fumbling, dancing, giving himself up easily instead of running over defenders, just ineffective out there. Hartline, again regressing. Missing in action most of the time, pushing off or fumbling. I mean if the offense is crumbling around you, it's hard to expect Tannehill to continue play great. Against Tennessee and Buffalo, Tannehill seemed to be trying to do too much and was forcing passes cause I guess he saw no one else on offense was doing anything to make a play. Offensive line has got to get better...I think that happens by getting rid of Long next season.
You have made some good points. But if these points you are making are to vindicate Tannehill, they won't work.

You do know he is a rookie right? And we are a helluva lot better than last year! Not many high draft pick rookie QBs go to the playoffs... Im done....

Back
Top Bottom