Tannehill starting tonight! | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill starting tonight!

I think it is a mistake. They need to protect him more. I feel they are rushing him. We shall see.

We have to remind ourselfs its only preseason, no game film to study. Be easy on rt if rt throws a interception.

Gotta remember this is not a declaration that he's won the competition. This is a start and I wouldn't be surprised if he's in for 2 series, then Moore is in for 2 series, then Tannehill 2 more series, then Moore 2 more series...something like that.

I think he'll get a more extensive audition than that. They're trying to figure out who's going to start next week and therefore start the season. Rotating series in this game would produce a higher overall # of snaps with the first team for Moore than Tannehill in live game action. Moore played, what? 15 or so snaps with the first team last week? I think they'll work to even that out (say, by playing Tannehill the entire first quarter), and then rotating things after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a mistake. They need to protect him more. I feel they are rushing him. We shall see.

I don't think they're rushing him mate. If it was clear during camp and he struggled in week 1 and yet they started him I would agree, but he's worked his way into this position

I just hope that if he has a bad game, people wont start blaming Ireland & Philbin for blowing another draft pick on player A.

Although, I can see that happening......

Fickle fans some people are.

Good luck Ryan.

This is not being handled correctly.

You've got TWO guys, not just one .... who need to get snaps in vs. starters. Moore needs it because this is his first time under Sherman's system and Tanny needs it because he's a rookie who has been outplaying backups and we need to see if it's fool's gold. To have Tanny play the entire half is not kosher to me though. Especially with Moore coming back to Carolina, I mean you want a gut check game where want to see if Moore can step it up? I know it's the preseason, but that franchise shat all over him and cast him aside like yesterday's garbage. While it's a new system/coach, most of the players are the same .... players Matt worked with last year and earned the team MVP moniker. A little respect is due here for him and to relegate him to 2nd half status vs. UPS drivers is an insult.

This is no "open" competition. Philbin has been angling for Tanny for a while now. Matt's caught in a game of 1 year left on the contract and a #8 pick who the fanbase is giant erection over. Create situations where Tanny looks good and builds confidence, but always have Moore play against the 1st stringer D in camp, while playing with the 2nd string offense. It's pretty obvious.

This is not being handled correctly.

You've got TWO guys, not just one .... who need to get snaps in vs. starters. Moore needs it because this is his first time under Sherman's system and Tanny needs it because he's a rookie who has been outplaying backups and we need to see if it's fool's gold. To have Tanny play the entire half is not kosher to me though. Especially with Moore coming back to Carolina, I mean you want a gut check game where want to see if Moore can step it up? I know it's the preseason, but that franchise shat all over him and cast him aside like yesterday's garbage. While it's a new system/coach, most of the players are the same .... players Matt worked with last year and earned the team MVP moniker. A little respect is due here for him and to relegate him to 2nd half status vs. UPS drivers is an insult.

This is no "open" competition. Philbin has been angling for Tanny for a while now. Matt's caught in a game of 1 year left on the contract and a #8 pick who the fanbase is giant erection over. Create situations where Tanny looks good and builds confidence, but always have Moore play against the 1st stringer D in camp, while playing with the 2nd string offense. It's pretty obvious.

I still don't understand the love for Moore. Let me get this straight, you want him to get playing time against his old team for what, revenge? Talk about an assinign reason for playing time. This is a time for player evaluation, nothing else. Moore will never lead this team to a SB which is the ultimate goal. He just isn't good enough, especially in today's QB driven league. Will Tannehill? Nobody knows, but the kid has earned his playing time by outplaying Moore throughout training camp. It's time to let the chips fall where they may with the rookie.

As a coach, albeit of a different sport, I am a firm believer in the "sink or swim" philosophy - when the player is physically capable and understands the offense/defense mentally.

To me, you marinate a kid when he has to think to perform. Once they don't have to think, throw them in the water.

Because the phins are running an offense very similar to his college offense, he's got a leg up on most rookies. The question is, can he recognize and react to NFL defenses?

Some guys fold under the pressure of expectations. Find out sooner than later.

If the guy really grasps the offense better than the other quarterbacks and has better physical tools, you could kill his confidence or frustrate him to the point of pressing by sitting him too long.

Have to disagree. That's loser talk imo. If the kid's a winner, he'll work through the early struggles.

If the receiver position turns out to be garbage, you could be setting Tannehill up for failure. At least get the receiver position sorted out and then get him in.

If the receiver position turns out to be garbage, you could be setting Tannehill up for failure. At least get the receiver position sorted out and then get him in.

Peyton Manning had garbage to work with his first year in the league, and he struggled. It didn't ruin him.

Tom Brady had no weapons early in his career and it didn't ruin him, either.

Certainly not that I'm comparing Tannehill to either player, just that I think a QB who has what it takes to be great is going to be great even if he has to play his first couple of years with a crap team.

I still don't understand the love for Moore. Let me get this straight, you want him to get playing time against his old team for what, revenge? Talk about an assinign reason for playing time. This is a time for player evaluation, nothing else. Moore will never lead this team to a SB which is the ultimate goal. He just isn't good enough, especially in today's QB driven league. Will Tannehill? Nobody knows, but the kid has earned his playing time by outplaying Moore throughout training camp. It's time to let the chips fall where they may with the rookie.

Not revenge. I'm talking about gut check time. He's got a rookie breathing down his neck. He's facing a team that cast him aside like garbage. This is a good spot to see what Matt is made of under this new Sherman offense. He needs quality reps vs. starting defenses just like Tanny needs them because he has no experience vs. NFL players (but knows the offense).

I don't think they're rushing him mate. If it was clear during camp and he struggled in week 1 and yet they started him I would agree, but he's worked his way into this position

He needs to totally outplay Matt Moore in order to get the keys to the car. I do not think he has done that yet. Don't get me wrong, I have been very happy with Tannehill. I just feel people want to rush him when he and most vitally...the team is not ready to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom