Tannehill starting tonight! | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill starting tonight!

I think sitting and waiting works if you have the right group together.

Aaron Rodgers sat and turned out fine. Granted, he had no help from Bret Favre but he still sat.

Jake Locker sat last year behind Matt Hasselback, and could sit again this year, but reports coming out of Tennessee are that he looks a million times better than he did as a rookie.

Carson Palmer didn't take a snap his rookie year, while being the number 1 overall pick. The big news of his rookie year was half way through the year he was promoted to backup. He turned out okay, before injuries got to him.

At the same time guys who played right away have failed. David Carr looked like he could be something, but he got so beat up because he had no OL early in his career that by the time he got to Carolina he was afraid of getting hit. Guys like Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich, and Joey Harrington never became what people hoped they would be. Ryan Leaf is the big name, though he has since admitted his issues were that he wasn't mentally ready and really wished he had a veteran to guide him. I think one thing that could help Tannehill is Moore knows and is used to being a backup and won't be offended to be one.

It's a preseason game for crying out loud. Let's let him face a #1 defense when the results don't count to evaluate his progress. Poor performance is not going to ruin him but will give us valuable information on where he stands at this juncture.

Peyton Manning had garbage to work with his first year in the league, and he struggled. It didn't ruin him.

Tom Brady had no weapons early in his career and it didn't ruin him, either.

Certainly not that I'm comparing Tannehill to either player, just that I think a QB who has what it takes to be great is going to be great even if he has to play his first couple of years with a crap team.

Well...I think you did just compare Tannehill to Manning and Brady, but anyways...Tannehill is the best thing going for the Fins right now and I think they should be judicious with him. If he wins the competition outright so be it...he is the starter. If he does not, one of the vets gets the keys.

I still don't understand the love for Moore. Let me get this straight, you want him to get playing time against his old team for what, revenge? Talk about an assinign reason for playing time. This is a time for player evaluation, nothing else. Moore will never lead this team to a SB which is the ultimate goal. He just isn't good enough, especially in today's QB driven league. Will Tannehill? Nobody knows, but the kid has earned his playing time by outplaying Moore throughout training camp. It's time to let the chips fall where they may with the rookie.

The love for Matt Moore I get and understand. What I don't understand is all the excuses some posters keep making for him.

Peyton Manning had garbage to work with his first year in the league, and he struggled. It didn't ruin him.

Tom Brady had no weapons early in his career and it didn't ruin him, either.

Certainly not that I'm comparing Tannehill to either player, just that I think a QB who has what it takes to be great is going to be great even if he has to play his first couple of years with a crap team.

The first part is not true at all. Manning had Marvin Harrison and Torrence Smalls at WR, Marcus Pollard and Ken Dilger at TE and Marshall Faulk at RB.

Not revenge. I'm talking about gut check time. He's got a rookie breathing down his neck. He's facing a team that cast him aside like garbage. This is a good spot to see what Matt is made of under this new Sherman offense. He needs quality reps vs. starting defenses just like Tanny needs them because he has no experience vs. NFL players (but knows the offense).

Moore has had starting reps in the NFL for the past 3 years. The book has been written on how high his ceiling is, not high enough to win a SB. Tanny's has yet to be determined. If he totally wilts in the spotlight then Moore will slide back into the starting position. Tanny has proven this year in training camp that he quickly learns from his mistakes and now the coaching staff must find out if the last nuances for him to become a franchise/starting QB in the NFL are now learned in the heat of battle vs the best competition he can face. This is not a slight against Moore but a challenge to Tanny to show what he's got and to EARN the starting job.

so let me get this straight...had david carr been protected more and not taken so many sacks he'd be a franchise qb right now??? you think that what kept him from reaching that level in the pros is all the contact he took as a rookie??? seriously... david carr never was gonna be a franchise qb...he didn't have the goods...the feel for the pocket and pressure...among many other things

unless he completely lays an egg against the panthers, i think it's safe to say tanny has won the job. Nothing against matt moore cause i do like him, but there are things that hurt moore.

1.there are throws he can't make
2.he takes forever to go through his progressions. There were so many plays last year that either weren't made or weren't as big as they could have been because moore didn't look for them. I'll aways mention the first jets game last year, the drive that ended in a revis pick-6 the play before the pick, lex hilliard is wide open jumping up and down calling for the ball and moore doesn't look his way, and on the pick, clay was wide open running towards the endzone and moore tried to force it to marshall.

Moore to me is kind of like a billy volek or aj feely. He's a great backup, and when your starter is hurt he can keep the team competitive. But when you expect him to be a regular starter, he's not gonna be as good.

drivel.

Moore has had starting reps in the NFL for the past 3 years. The book has been written on how high his ceiling is, not high enough to win a SB. Tanny's has yet to be determined. If he totally wilts in the spotlight then Moore will slide back into the starting position. Tanny has proven this year in training camp that he quickly learns from his mistakes and now the coaching staff must find out if the last nuances for him to learn to be a franchise/starting QB in the NFL are now learned in the heat of battle vs the best competition he can face. This is not a slight against Moore but a challenge to Tanny to show what he's got to EARN the starting job.

3 teams, 3 different offensive philosophies. Sometimes all someone needs is that little thing called "consistency". Can't achieve that without reps and experience.

The kid has already shown he can play well with the 2nd stringers against the 2nd stringers. Why wouldn't they play him to see how he does? It's not like they are sitting Dan Marino to give Tannehill a look.

If the receiver position turns out to be garbage, you could be setting Tannehill up for failure. At least get the receiver position sorted out and then get him in.

Tanny's receivers at A&M never really helped him out that much and he never go down about that, so I don't think it will phase him much now.

so let me get this straight...had david carr been protected more and not taken so many sacks he'd be a franchise qb right now??? you think that what kept him from reaching that level in the pros is all the contact he took as a rookie??? seriously... david carr never was gonna be a franchise qb...he didn't have the goods...the feel for the pocket and pressure...among many other things

I wouldn't say franchise ...... but you have to wonder about QB's who come in as rookies and get routinely blasted because of matador O-lines. They start to develop poor habits and hear phantom foot steps. I saw a report out on Sam Bradford recently talking about this kind of thing.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

The kid has already shown he can play well with the 2nd stringers against the 2nd stringers. Why wouldn't they play him to see how he does? It's not like they are sitting Dan Marino to give Tannehill a look.

I want to see Tanny vs. the 1's ....for all we know his performances have been fool's gold vs. future delivery boys. I just think both guys need to play in the first half.

He needs to totally outplay Matt Moore in order to get the keys to the car. I do not think he has done that yet. Don't get me wrong, I have been very happy with Tannehill. I just feel people want to rush him when he and most vitally...the team is not ready to succeed.

Why does he need to totally out play moore to win the job, we have a new staff and a new offense. the new staff doesnt owe moore anything, to me the only way he should start is if he totally out plays tanny. Moore isnt a pro bowl player, he hasnt lead this team to a SB, he just a journey men qb just like all the rest of the qbs we signed or traded for since Dan. Moore was going to lose out to DG anyway. luck for him that Dg got hurt other wise he might not even be here in a couple of weeks

Back
Top Bottom