Tennenbaum, Landry and friends speak about negotiations | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tennenbaum, Landry and friends speak about negotiations

Why are you worried about the amount of threads started. This is the geek stuff I'm talking about. Do you have a comment about Landry or just too many threads being started bro?
Landry is a slot receiver and not even the best one in the league. I can name a lot of receivers I would prefer over him, Kenny Stills being one of them. He is a good player, just not at the money he wants.

I didnt chose the team to be compared, was replying to someone who did...

Fair enough, I'm just saying that team needs a great WR less than any other team in the league. They can plug just about anyone in without missing a beat.

Maybe if he could learn where to line up, not commit stupid penalty's, and/or not get tossed, the Fish might pay. But negotiating in the media along with the aforementioned, hurt his 'local' market value. I like his production and fire, but he does not appear to know when enough is enough. Many on the board have mentioned that we need to get 'smarter', well...

I really get the idea of not letting player you drafted go. But the real challenge is to make sure you get production for your money on every spot on the roster so that you can compete for world championship. In Landry's case we hit the jackpot. $3.6M over 4 years for top receiver production. It really doesn't get any better than that. His production is near the top. It isn't likely to go much higher. Paying him 15 times as much for the same production cancels out the good deal we got for the first 4 years. Hate to see him go. Its a tough one.

Tannehill was not a value at the 8th pick. I did not compare them, just made a point about misses in first round. So one person on a team cannot overcome every other offensive position or his own defense. However, he is a person you build around.

No Andrew Luck and RG3 are 1 and 2 are value.

245 players were drafted after Ryan Tannehill in 2012, the only three you could argue were a better value are Russell Wilson, Luke Kuechley and Fletcher Cox. A super bowl winning QB and two hall of famers.

In fact, in a re-draft, Tannehill goes earlier than 8th.

From 2011-2015 the only two drafted QB's who have clearly been better than RT are a No.1 overall pick who's a freak of nature (Newton) and the aforementioned Wilson.

WRS , RBS, TES, etc. are able to be replaced. In a salary cap league the big money needs to keep being invested in the lines and QBS.

Yup.

With the obvious exceptions being all-pro talents; Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, AJ Green, Rob Gronkowski, Ezekiel Elliot types.

Any competent defensive coordinator will make sure Kenny Stills and Devante Parker don't beat them, most are willing to let Landry do what he does.

I think most would love to keep Landry. I know I would. However, the question is...at what cost? Do you pay him $15M a year? Maybe so, but that is the element that makes it a tough call...

image-1.jpg

Why are you worried about the amount of threads started. This is the geek stuff I'm talking about. Do you have a comment about Landry or just too many threads being started bro?

There's been plenty of comments on Landry, you just chose to ignore those and only focus on the ones about the thread being started. weird

Hey look at me I'm going to start a Jarvis Landry thread so I can start a Tannehill bashing thread.

I like Juice and I want him to stay. I hate how this organization drafts players and lets them walk when they become good and command big money yet lock up average FA's with nice contracts. I know "we need changes and lets start by not overpaying Landry" just wish they started sooner so I wouldn't be penciling in Kiko and Branch next year. Overpaying Landry would have been much better value than overpaying those 2 guys.

It does aggravate me that many posters here act like the money is coming out of their pockets and want to build a great cheap team by using superior talent evaluation. Dream on!

Whatever he is, he’s the best player on our offense.

Even if that's true, that doesn't justify overpaying unless he delivered outsized results and/or made it possible for another player to deliver (e.g., demands double coverage so someone else had an easier time). Individual stats help in judging how good he is (and he's very good at catching in traffic and YAC), but team stats help judge his impact for the thing that matters the most: wins. Unless we run an offensive system built around a slot WR as the primary role, it's just not valuable enough to justify overpaying. Yes, I am aware of the irony in that last sentence as we clearly did run an offense with high utilization of our slot receiver, but it didn't get the results we all want: wins.

Let's say our field goal kicker was the best player on our team: Didn't miss a kick all season, was hitting 60 yarders so we won some games we shouldn't have, was able to rally the troops on the sidelines, etc. -- how much would you pay for that player? You might say something to the effect of "He's a really important piece of the team, so I'll pay him a little above market or give him some guaranteed money", but you wouldn't say "pay him whatever he wants" or "pay him like a QB".

I think it's pretty clear from the teams behavior around handling the contract negotiations and by not locking him up last year, that after seeing Landry up close for 4 years, they have set a price on his contributions. If I were to guess, he's fallen victim to "One ****up wipes out 99 good play's" -- we're (here on the boards) looking at receptions and the coaches are looking at routes, penalties, and contributions to and dedication in the WR room .

Looked at Jarvis' twitter feed and his profile says "God, above all things." and I can only assume god=money.

Even if that's true, that doesn't justify overpaying unless he delivered outsized results and/or made it possible for another player to deliver (e.g., demands double coverage so someone else had an easier time). Individual stats help in judging how good he is (and he's very good at catching in traffic and YAC), but team stats help judge his impact for the thing that matters the most: wins. Unless we run an offensive system built around a slot WR as the primary role, it's just not valuable enough to justify overpaying. Yes, I am aware of the irony in that last sentence as we clearly did run an offense with high utilization of our slot receiver, but it didn't get the results we all want: wins.

Let's say our field goal kicker was the best player on our team: Didn't miss a kick all season, was hitting 60 yarders so we won some games we shouldn't have, was able to rally the troops on the sidelines, etc. -- how much would you pay for that player? You might say something to the effect of "He's a really important piece of the team, so I'll pay him a little above market or give him some guaranteed money", but you wouldn't say "pay him whatever he wants" or "pay him like a QB".

I think it's pretty clear from the teams behavior around handling the contract negotiations and by not locking him up last year, that after seeing Landry up close for 4 years, they have set a price on his contributions. If I were to guess, he's fallen victim to "One ****up wipes out 99 good play's" -- we're (here on the boards) looking at receptions and the coaches are looking at routes, penalties, and contributions to and dedication in the WR room .
The only problem with that is the "they" are Tannenbum and Gase. Aside from drafting Mangold and trading up for Revis, what has TBum ever done that merits confidence in his decision-making? It certainly wasn't trading up for Sanchez, drafting that 1st round corner from Boise, spending a 2nd on Stephen Hill, unnecessarily extending Sanchez into cap hell, trading a 3rd and money for Tebow, etc and so forth.

And Gase? 2 seasons ago, I'd be simpatico with his judgments but after Cutler, Ajayi, and this season's cluster****, not so fast! The verdict is now "still out."

Yeah, these are the decision-makers who have decided that Landry should be gone. I don't know about you, but that sure doesn't instill too much confidence in me.

Back
Top Bottom