The reason running back Damien Williams hasn’t signed his restricted FA tender | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The reason running back Damien Williams hasn’t signed his restricted FA tender

Hell the rookie free agent we signed from Michigan is better than Damien. I like Damien but $1.8 million is way more than he is worth especially after the Charles signing in Denver. If he thinks sitting out a year and just getting older and not getting game reps is going to get him more money next year he's in for a rude awaking. His agent has to be a moron and needs to be canned.

Drakes issues are injuries and if Ajayi goes down (which can happen with any player) then we are going to need someone other than Drake cause his body can't take the pounding of a starter. He was a backup at Alabama for just that reason

Damien isn't a starter either so he doesn't solve the problem.

Drakes issues are injuries and if Ajayi goes down (which can happen with any player) then we are going to need someone other than Drake cause his body can't take the pounding of a starter. He was a backup at Alabama for just that reason
I would say he was a backup at Alabama because of Eddie Lacy, TJ Yeldon, and Derek Henry. I wouldn't call him a power back but Drake is 210+. He can handle 15-20 carries at that size.

Let's be honest, Damien Williams was an OK back, not a great back. His biggest claim to fame last year were the TD's, which he got primarily because Gase knew the defenses were keying on Ajayi. Williams executed as the diversion fullback who actually got the ball. He benefitted from a gimmick that kept working. Next year defenses will put a hat on him and he will not get those TD's, which means Gase will call the play for Ajayi. Williams is trying to take advantage of his good fortune, and I don't blame him.

But, it is ill advised at this point since his ONLY options now are to sign the dang thing or retire. If he goes to the mat on this one, the team could easily burn him and cost him one of the prime years of his career to make a point with a fringe player who is easily replaced. Vast majority of players believe they're better than they really are, with very few exceptions. Williams ... you're lucky to be in the league and nobody is paying for you. When you eventually become a free agent ... no huge payday is coming. Take what you can now, stop making waves, and hope the Dolphins continue to invest in you. That's your best path to future wealth, IMHO.

Currently, you're like Rudy trying to hold out ... and all you're doing is burning bridges and destroying the goodwill you've built.

Drake is 210+. He can handle 15-20 carries at that size.

I've posted this before:

Kenyan Drake might be 210 lbs, but he is very thin around the knee / lower leg area.

CYipHHSWQAAtQB9.jpg

Kenyan Drake (#32):

Kenyan-Drake-680x384.jpg

He's built for speed, but he's not built to be an every-down bellcow.

He was a complementary back in college, and that will likely be his role in the NFL.

Multiple draft reports said he's basically Charles Sims.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/kenyan-drake?id=2555230

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000903/kenyan-drake

I highly doubt Kenyan Drake will ever average 15-20 carries a game, or hammer out 1,000 yards rushing in a season.

They need to pay him, what has gillislee done? to warrant that contract? or at least upgrade him on a one year deal.

I wonder if a #3 rb has ever held out before? It can't be about money because if any other team in the NFL would pay him more than 1.8. They would have done so, as Miami gets no comp if they didn't match. He has to want to go to some where he can see the ball more. I can't imagine what team that is, as only one team had him for a visit, and it was a deep rb draft. He needs to learn from Richard Mathews, and get in camp and have a career year so you get paid next year.

Williams is our best rb with out the ball. He is a good blocker and runs nice routes. I hope he gets I'm camp, but he has zero leverage.

They need to pay him, what has gillislee done? to warrant that contract? or at least upgrade him on a one year deal.

They don't need to do anything. He literally has no leverage. And Gillislee has run for over 850 yards the last two seasons at a 5.7 ypa clip. Williams? 296 yards at a 3.4 ypa rate. Damien has a couple hundred more receiving yards, but Williams doesn't deserve a $3 million/year contract, and if he did somebody else would have paid him that when they had the chance to as a restricted free agent. Heck, they could have offered him $2 million a year and pried him away from us.

Meanwhile Jarvis Landry, a star player is tremendously underpaid and waiting on a new contract.....is in the building. All Williams is doing is dropping himself down the depth chart as the coaches want Drake more involved anyway.

It's probably not a huge deal as these are all voluntary workouts but if he thinks he has leverage or is even worth more than the 1.8M, then he is getting some bad advice from his agent.

"Sign here and get 1.8 million"

"Well.....give me the ****ing pen man!"

Meanwhile Jarvis Landry, a star player is tremendously underpaid and waiting on a new contract.....is in the building. All Williams is doing is dropping himself down the depth chart as the coaches want Drake more involved anyway.

It's probably not a huge deal as these are all voluntary workouts but if he thinks he has leverage or is even worth more than the 1.8M, then he is getting some bad advice from his agent.

Different situations. Williams is a free agent this year and Landry isn't. I'm sure if we're at this point of the calendar next year and Landry doesn't have a contract ironed out he's not going to be in for the off season workout session either.

I've posted this before:

Kenyan Drake might be 210 lbs, but he is very thin around the knee / lower leg area.

CYipHHSWQAAtQB9.jpg

Kenyan Drake (#32):

Kenyan-Drake-680x384.jpg

He's built for speed, but he's not built to be an every-down bellcow.

He was a complementary back in college, and that will likely be his role in the NFL.

I highly doubt Kenyan Drake will ever average 15-20 carries a game, or hammer out 1,000 yards rushing in a season.

Jamaal Charles isn't big in the lower body, and has similar legs and he's had 15-20 carries and 1,000 yards. I would't be surprised if Drake's weight is closer to 220+ this season. He has a similar build to Demarco Murray and Darren McFadden when they entered the league. Both had thinner calf muscles too.

Different situations. Williams is a free agent this year and Landry isn't. I'm sure if we're at this point of the calendar next year and Landry doesn't have a contract ironed out he's not going to be in for the off season workout session either.

He is a RFA which essentially means he is under contract once he is tendered. The only difference is another team can offer him a contract which his current team can choose to match or not match (and receive appropriate compensation).

Williams is much closer to Landry's status in 2017 than he is to Kenny Stills or Andre Branch.

And if Landry doesn't have a Miami contract ironed out by this time next year, he either got franchised tagged or he is on another team making tons of money.

swallow pride get the work in, and do as much as you can to improve your stock during the season to warrant a better offer next year. What's the problem?

Exactly, and you could add "what's the other option?"

Back
Top Bottom