The reason running back Damien Williams hasn’t signed his restricted FA tender | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The reason running back Damien Williams hasn’t signed his restricted FA tender

Meanwhile Jarvis Landry, a star player is tremendously underpaid and waiting on a new contract.....is in the building. All Williams is doing is dropping himself down the depth chart as the coaches want Drake more involved anyway.

It's probably not a huge deal as these are all voluntary workouts but if he thinks he has leverage or is even worth more than the 1.8M, then he is getting some bad advice from his agent.

YUP!! And that's why Landry needs to be paid quickly!!

Drakes issues are injuries and if Ajayi goes down (which can happen with any player) then we are going to need someone other than Drake cause his body can't take the pounding of a starter. He was a backup at Alabama for just that reason

You don't think having a Heisman trophy Rb in front of him was a huge reason?

He still ended up being a 3rd rounder which I believe says a lot about his talent level.

I see David Johnson 2.0 in him. He'll never get his chance with Ajayi either which sucks.

SMH. You have to know when you have leverage in situations like this.
Q1prBL.gif

Great block by RT17 or would have never scored.
1.8 M is actually a very good contract for him.
On a lot of teams, he would be a special teams player.

Yep, while we don't want to see Tannehill get demolished, I love that he's willing to go out there for his team mate and make a block!

Not to nitpick but that block was Matt moore

You don't think having a Heisman trophy Rb in front of him was a huge reason?

He still ended up being a 3rd rounder which I believe says a lot about his talent level.

I see David Johnson 2.0 in him. He'll never get his chance with Ajayi either which sucks.

No, i don't see Henry being the only reason. Drake played well as a sophomore backing up Yeldon but battled several injuries over the final few years at Bama and early in his rookie year with the Dolphins. There are some guys who just have bad luck but also guys who tend to be prone to injuries, either due physiology/build, running style, or not doing what they need to for injury prevention (nutrition, proper workout regime, stretching, treatment, staying in shape during offseason, etc). I think Drake falls in the physiology/build category.

Some articles and references below......
Bama Injury History:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/alabama-kenyan-drake-injuries-suspensions-playoff

The former four-star recruit got 2014 off to a promising start as his role diversified in the Crimson Tide’s running and passing scheme. But in Alabama’s fifth game of the season, Drake broke and dislocated his ankle when he was tackled awkwardly after making a 10-yard catch. He had to be airlifted to the hospital. His year was over.
Drake was persistent with his rehab, and less than a year later, he was back for fall camp. He and Derrick Henry would certainly make for a dangerous backfield tandem, and a teammate had compared Drake to Reggie Bush. But then more injuries occurred. First came a cracked rib, a sprained ankle, a concussion, a quad contusion, and finally a broken right arm in kickoff coverage on Nov. 14 against Mississippi State.

Then in Dolphins rookie camp in June:
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/06/15/dolphins-rookie-rb-kenyan-drake-suffers-injury-in-wednesday-minicamp-practice/

Rookie running back Kenyan Drake limped off the field during a special teams drill toward the end of practice. Drake did not return to practice and was seen holding his right hamstring.
Drake battled a list of injuries during his college career at Alabama including a broken and dislocated ankle, a cracked rib, a sprained ankle, a concussion, a quad contusion, and a broken right arm. Drake ran for 1,495 yards and 18 touchdowns while averaging 6.4 yards per carry over four seasons at Alabama.

And again in August camp:
Drake, who missed several weeks of training camp with a lingering hamstring injury, will make his Dolphins debut in the team’s preseason finale against the Titans. Coach Adam Gase intends to give him plenty of exercise.The hamstring has been an issue for Drake since he injured it before his senior season at Alabama. And that wasn’t his only issue in college. He sustained at least seven different injuries while he was a student, missing games every season of his career. That, of course, led to widespread questions about his durability, and likely hurt his draft stock.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article98865787.html#storylink=cpy

Then later in the year (Nov-Dec) he was on the weekly injury report for a knee. For a guy not getting the lions share of carries, that's a lot of injuries. Drake has a load of potential and brings a unique skillset, but i can't ever see him being a David Johnson type and handle the ball that many times game after game. With Ajayi, he doesn't have to be. He can play a role more like Darren Sproles and compliment what Jay brings to the table.

Kind of mad about this.... he got 3 times the pay raise from last year & we have Landry in the building not complaining & acting like a true leader.

No, i don't see Henry being the only reason. Drake played well as a sophomore backing up Yeldon but battled several injuries over the final few years at Bama and early in his rookie year with the Dolphins. There are some guys who just have bad luck but also guys who tend to be prone to injuries, either due physiology/build, running style, or not doing what they need to for injury prevention (nutrition, proper workout regime, stretching, treatment, staying in shape during offseason, etc). I think Drake falls in the physiology/build category.

Some articles and references below......
Bama Injury History:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/alabama-kenyan-drake-injuries-suspensions-playoff

Then in Dolphins rookie camp in June:
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/06/15/dolphins-rookie-rb-kenyan-drake-suffers-injury-in-wednesday-minicamp-practice/

And again in August camp:

Then later in the year (Nov-Dec) he was on the weekly injury report for a knee. For a guy not getting the lions share of carries, that's a lot of injuries. Drake has a load of potential and brings a unique skillset, but i can't ever see him being a David Johnson type and handle the ball that many times game after game. With Ajayi, he doesn't have to be. He can play a role more like Darren Sproles and compliment what Jay brings to the table.

To me, that just shows how talented he really is.

So he's an injury prone back up RB that gets drafted in the 3rd rd.

He'll never get the chance which blows for him.

What they're doing to David Johnson is idiotic IMO. Seemed like every play David Johnson was somehow directly involved when we played them.

I bet if Drake was put on a team where he got the chance to start he would be super impressive.

I highly doubt we drafted Drake in the 3rd round to be a back up or scat back. (unless we're idiots)

Jay happened to come along at the right time.

He's 6'1 210 lbs with 4.4 speed. A RB needy team like the Giants would die to have Drake.

So without any injury history where do you think he would've been drafted?

I wonder if a #3 rb has ever held out before? It can't be about money because if any other team in the NFL would pay him more than 1.8. They would have done so, as Miami gets no comp if they didn't match. He has to want to go to some where he can see the ball more. I can't imagine what team that is, as only one team had him for a visit, and it was a deep rb draft. He needs to learn from Richard Mathews, and get in camp and have a career year so you get paid next year.

Williams is our best rb with out the ball. He is a good blocker and runs nice routes. I hope he gets I'm camp, but he has zero leverage.
Do you think it's about the nutrition content of his lunches or maybe Special Teams Coach Rizzi doesn't give him enough feedback? Of course it's about the money - he's holding out to be paid more.

They need to pay him, what has gillislee done? to warrant that contract? or at least upgrade him on a one year deal.

No, they don't. He has no leverage. His options are to take the money and play or sit out, earn no money, and lose a year playing right before hitting free agency.

He'll play and if he's wise, he'll be back for TC, given that he now has some more competition.

I see he not only has low football IQ, but low business IQ as well. Never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

I see he not only has low football IQ, but low business IQ as well. Never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

It will be interesting to see how long Williams continues this charade. I am guessing he is keeping a close eye on our latest undrafted RB Smith, from Michigan. Williams better be careful, if I understand things correctly, he might just be playing for a lot less than 1.8 next season. Personally, now that we know what Williams can do, I want to see what Smith brings to the table.

It will be interesting to see how long Williams continues this charade. I am guessing he is keeping a close eye on our latest undrafted RB Smith, from Michigan. Williams better be careful, if I understand things correctly, he might just be playing for a lot less than 1.8 next season. Personally, now that we know what Williams can do, I want to see what Smith brings to the table.
Will definitely lose snaps if this goes on, and possibly his roster spot.

Back
Top Bottom