Why is everyone so surprised? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everyone so surprised?

Most of the ignorance comes from people that don't realize that one quarterback was in the system for a year and one was not. So that would give one quarterback an advantage. The funny part about it is, the people who dislike Tannehill are the ones using the comparisons to Brady and Rogers.

Of course a QB in a system for year 2 would have a huge advantage, and even though Jay is now in his 2nd year in this system, it would still be a huge advantage for Ryan as he knows the personal. He has a raport with Kenny, Jarvis, and Devante, and you can't underestimate how valuable this is. That being said Ryan wasn't running this offense last year, and when he did he went 1-4. It was so reduced, and was a run first play action scheme. Adam is back to trying a no huddle/up tempo shotgun heavy offense that he stopped running after the Titans game.

I don't hate Ryan, as I would much rather have him as our QB right now. I am also not comparing him to Rogers or Brady. I am simply saying we are not blocking, we are not running, our WRs are dropping balls, we are killing our selves with Penalties right now, our coach traded away our pro bowl RB, our play calling is predictable, and our whole team is constantly missing assignments. Ryan would not be able to overcome all that, as there are only 2 QBs I have seen in the past 15 years who have been able to consistently over come such short comings. It is ignorant to assume Ryan would fix all these problems, and it is ignorant to watch this team and think QB is the only problem right now. I am no basing this on what Ryan may have become I am basing it on what he has done, and when faced with the same adversity he was unable to to compensate for such glaring deficiencies.

That's a hard pill for some the swallow.

I know lol I was running on blind optimism as well so I can't talk. By now if it's not apparent the offense fell apart because of Tannehill, I don't know when it will be. Not just the talent (which is instrumental) aspect but being the Dolphins QB for 5 years, knowing the receivers, and the whole team lost their leader. Being 4-4 right now is pretty much a miracle if you were to just look at play alone. After going 1-4 last year while on the streak, I honestly felt like we'd win every won. This year I have no faith. I don't think it's too much to say with Tannehill we'd be 5-3 or even 6-2.

If anyone thinks Ryan Tannehill would walk in to this offense this season, and everything would be ok you are insane. This time last year Miami was 4-4, and Ryan had 8tds and 6ints and was sacked 19x. This year we are 4-4 our qbs have thrown 12tds 8ints and sacked 17x. Do simple stats tell the whole story? No. Do I think we would be marginally better with Ryan? Yes. The fact is though we didn't win 9 of 11 game because Ryan was some miracle QB who could make up for, bad oline play, no running game, and questionable defense. Infact when those were true he went 1-4, and everyone in the NFL was calling for him to be benched. It wasn't Ryan that turned 1-4 around. It was a new running game that came to life, it was a miracle KR by Drake, it was a miracle pick 6 by Kiko, it was Jay carrying us in 2 games vs Buffalo, it was Ryan have a complete turn around in the last 4 minutes in LA after being horrible for 56 minutes, it was a lot of people stepping up an over coming, not just better QB play. These things haven't happened this year, sans 1 half in Atlanta and 1 quarter vs NY. Ryan is a middle of the road QB who has a ceiling of a top 12 guy if everything is clicking, but is not Tom Brady, Aarron Rogers, Dan Marino, etc etc who can put a team on his back no matter how his oline is blocking, defense is playing, penalties are being commited, and plays being called by the OC. If you think Ryan is a savior you are just being ignorant to how many aspects of the game this team isn't currently failing at.

Everything would not have been O.K, but everything would have been significantly better. I doubt we get shut out twice, and have the worst offense in the league with RT back there, but who knows, it's all speculation. RT was ready to break out this season the way he did after week 5 last season, his athleticism alone would have had a significant effect on this O, as the read option is used more and more in today's NFL. Not to mention his arm talent, work ethic, and general football IQ. People look at RT's career and see a very mediocre QB. I see a QB who has been held back by a horrible H.C, but started to prove who he really is with a competent H.C, only to have all of that progress stalled by a single injury. Oh well, at least it won't end his career like Swearinger's hit on Keller, or Taylor's hit on Theismann. Tannehill will be back and he will be better than ever without a queasy arse biatch to hold him and this entire team back. In Gase I trust.

If anyone thinks Ryan Tannehill would walk in to this offense this season, and everything would be ok you are insane. This time last year Miami was 4-4, and Ryan had 8tds and 6ints and was sacked 19x. This year we are 4-4 our qbs have thrown 12tds 8ints and sacked 17x. Do simple stats tell the whole story? No. Do I think we would be marginally better with Ryan? Yes. The fact is though we didn't win 9 of 11 game because Ryan was some miracle QB who could make up for, bad oline play, no running game, and questionable defense. Infact when those were true he went 1-4, and everyone in the NFL was calling for him to be benched. It wasn't Ryan that turned 1-4 around. It was a new running game that came to life, it was a miracle KR by Drake, it was a miracle pick 6 by Kiko, it was Jay carrying us in 2 games vs Buffalo, it was Ryan have a complete turn around in the last 4 minutes in LA after being horrible for 56 minutes, it was a lot of people stepping up an over coming, not just better QB play. These things haven't happened this year, sans 1 half in Atlanta and 1 quarter vs NY. Ryan is a middle of the road QB who has a ceiling of a top 12 guy if everything is clicking, but is not Tom Brady, Aarron Rogers, Dan Marino, etc etc who can put a team on his back no matter how his oline is blocking, defense is playing, penalties are being commited, and plays being called by the OC. If you think Ryan is a savior you are just being ignorant to how many aspects of the game this team isn't currently failing at.

Compared to what the offense looks like this year without him, his value is more than apparent. I'm not just saying talent wise although the difference is 18 spots in ratings. Think about the difference between the 10th and 20th best. Although I understand what're saying, Ryan was fully part of the end of the year streak and actually getting better. A top 12 guy is pretty damn good and something we should be proud of. With this defense this year, Tannehill would finally have some real help. This team is more talented. We're somehow 4-4 with the 30th ranked QB which says something lol I don't think he's our savior but when you're comparing Jay Cutler and Tannehill, he may be a savior. I bought into the Cutler hype and now have egg on my face. It's not like I love Tannehill where I'll always defend him but this offense lost confidence, professionalism, and camaraderie which is showing on and off the field. It sucks but no need to overreact.

It has been a long time coming but he is finally getting some much needed appreciation.

Yes and unfortunately it's at the expense of us looking like a high school team to find out lol He brings a lot to an offense through his arm and legs. As a fan, I just feel such a difference in confidence when Cutler hits the field instead of Tannehill. Maybe I was just used to winning idk but this season is a huge learning lesson. We'll be alright if we just trust the fact that this team is a work in progress with a ton of potential. Gase won't let us fail. I know he's very unpopular right now (Idk how when he's 4-4) but we all know there's 5-7 teams that would make him their first visit if we let him go. Gase will be our Head Coach for a while.

Of course a QB in a system for year 2 would have a huge advantage, and even though Jay is now in his 2nd year in this system, it would still be a huge advantage for Ryan as he knows the personal. He has a raport with Kenny, Jarvis, and Devante, and you can't underestimate how valuable this is. That being said Ryan wasn't running this offense last year, and when he did he went 1-4. It was so reduced, and was a run first play action scheme. Adam is back to trying a no huddle/up tempo shotgun heavy offense that he stopped running after the Titans game.

I don't hate Ryan, as I would much rather have him as our QB right now. I am also not comparing him to Rogers or Brady. I am simply saying we are not blocking, we are not running, our WRs are dropping balls, we are killing our selves with Penalties right now, our coach traded away our pro bowl RB, our play calling is predictable, and our whole team is constantly missing assignments. Ryan would not be able to overcome all that, as there are only 2 QBs I have seen in the past 15 years who have been able to consistently over come such short comings. It is ignorant to assume Ryan would fix all these problems, and it is ignorant to watch this team and think QB is the only problem right now. I am no basing this on what Ryan may have become I am basing it on what he has done, and when faced with the same adversity he was unable to to compensate for such glaring deficiencies.

that's ignorant

the only thing im surprised by is how little interest in contact cutler has...had I known that after tanny was hurt I would have never endorsed signing this version

well that and maybe I still thought he had his top flat footed fast ball which he clearly does not any more...

The pass defense is being exposed mostly due to the offense not being able to stay on the field. For example more offense of snaps means less defense of snaps.

It's awfully hard to come to that conclusion when both of the following are true: 1) there are lots of teams that have just as few offensive snaps, whose pass defenses play well, and 2) there are lots of teams who have many more offensive snaps, whose pass defenses play poorly.

Tannahill was playing at the level you're talking about last year before his injury.

During the period you're talking about, Tannehill's passer rating was 101 and change, and his YPA was 7.4.

Those may seem like meager differences from Brady's 106.5 and 8.1, but they aren't.

I don't think he's all world at all lol But having the 12th best passer in the league who has legs and knows the receivers would sure makeup for having the 30th best. We can speculate but last time Tannehill was QB he was 8-5. I'd say there is a huge possibility of being 8-8 but a few plays here and there could make us 10-6 or 6-10. Projecting anything that hasn't happened is tough. I do all the time and it never happens lol It's not only about Cutler's play but also they way the team stopped believing and if I were to make my best educated guess I'd say the Tannehill injury really hurt the confidence other players had going into the season. I could be wrong but I think I remember Tannehill being heard saying this is the best team I've ever had after he tore his ACL. I don't think he's all world (would never say that) but compared to Cutler the difference is going from the 12th to the 30th. That's huge. Imagine Tannehill moving up 6 spots rating wise and the difference it would be. 18 spots is just too much to overcome. If we're speculating, imagine this D with just an average offense like you said. We all just want to win in the end...PHINS UP!!

Indeed it would, and I indicated that above by opining that Tannehill's presence would be good for two additional wins this year, which is by no means insignificant.

Indeed it would, and I indicated that above by opining that Tannehill's presence would be good for two additional wins this year, which is by no means insignificant.
2,3 or 4 more wins. You don't know you're just speculating,

Possibly. I guess that's something we can only speculate. I just think with how this D has played throughout the year (with this inept offense) Tannehill and the Dolphins would be a playoff team again. Think about it. We're only 1 game from the playoffs as of now. We'll probably finish with 7-8 wins so those 2 games could have been significant. I think we'll beat the Bucs, Bills (once), Broncos and possibly the Panthers. I actually feel good about this week for the first time since week 1 (when blind optimism took over) lol I think their run first offense plays into our hands. On the other hand, their D can be pretty good when playing like they can. It'll be a good one IMO. PHINS UP!!

the changes between this year under cutler and last year under tannehill are the first 5 weeks last year guys didn't know the offense well enough to run full no huddle out the gate except for the damn qb...he was the one spending half his time at the los getting everyone lined up when he should be iding coverage and setting protections...Miami did go to more pa and ajayi influence afterwards cause outside of the qb these guys didn't know the offense very well...and yet ajayi still ran for 4.9 a clip...what's the difference there? the qb exposed 10 man boxes when they showed them and made teams pay for them and the accuracy and placement lead to more rac and when we did get chances to take shots he not only took them but made good on them...this o line was no better last year than it is this year...the qb was the difference...he stood in he took contact he made correct pre snap reads verified them post snap and he placed the football where he should...he set up protections he accounted for unaccounted for in the blocking scheme blitz defenders and when teams blitzed he threw the hot and made them pay...

fast forward to 2017 without said qb...jay cutler shows up shows early that he doesn't want to stand in doesn't want to take contact to make plays...shows highly inconsistent play both in accuracy and placement and efficiency...ajayi sees nothing but 10 man boxes qb can't make them pay for it...offense is dialed down cause guys still don't know their assignments...ajayi is traded gase goes to more 3 step to help the protection and force the qb to stand in and get the ball out quick teams show less 10 man boxes more 2 deep forcing Miami to "dink and dunk" the ball efficiently all the way down the field to score...predicated on the fact that the team cannot get behind the sticks and go into deeper drops cause the qb won't stand in and the protection/oline play is still as suspect as it was for tanny in 2016...

the only thing this season has proven for me is that 1. tannehill as I've known for a long time is severely underrated and underappreciated by this board and this fan base and the Miami media even and 2. this version of jay cutler or matt moore should anyone even attempt to go there with the no coverage id's and no setting of protections can't sniff tannehills jock

that's ignorant

Really, because after game 5 did Ryan run the no huddle offense we just ran against Oakland? Was it up tempo? Was he lined up in shotgun as much as we have been this year?

Really, because after game 5 did Ryan run the no huddle offense we just ran against Oakland? Was it up tempo? Was he lined up in shotgun as much as we have been this year?

surely you saw how dialed down those route combos were and all the throws to the backs on predetermined throws...surely

and we only ran that no huddle early on to try and show them a tempo change...either way that o was way more dialed down than the one tanny was asked to run in weeks 1-5 in 2016...and that was the first year of the o for everyone involved...keeping in mind that there has never been a full no huddle offense in year 1 out the gate that didn't neuter the qb in the nfl period...as in never...

what Miami was trying to do there was unprecedented...most teams build on it...gase trusted tanny enough out the gate to run it...

that wasn't a qb failure by any means...

2,3 or 4 more wins. You don't know you're just speculating,

Ya last time I speculated I actually thought the offense would look similar with Cutler lol I must have been dreaming. Tannehill turned it on right before he got hurt and if we're speculating I don't see why he couldn't have won 3-4 more games. I personally think we'd be 5-3 or 6-2 right now. The D is playing lights out compared to last year. Imagine this D if the offense wasn't going 3 and out every drive and not the 32 ranked scoring offense (14.5) in the league. PHINS UP!!

Back
Top Bottom