WR at 11? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WR at 11?

You're trying to make it seem so easy but how much do you want to pay him? See, if we pay him 14 mill a year we might be creating or maybe I should say, failing to plug 3 holes just to keep Landry. If he'd come back for what he's really worth is one thing but he wants to get paid like a #! which he's not. We need the whole team to be better. Are we better by paying him and not having money for anyone else? Or are we better off by using that money for several players and then maybe drafting a slot WR in round 3 or 4. Targeting him 160 a years has not and will never make us a great offense

Ozzy rules!!
I hear you and it’s not easy. I guess my thinking is if we are willing to give him $11mil and the number has to be $14mil how much damage does that $3mil do in terms of using it on other players. Just doesn’t feel like that much. I’m basing my thinking off of the fact we’ve already made an offer meaning we want him back. So if the FO is willing to spend $11mil that tells me they aren’t thinking of using the full boat on other holes etc or they wouldn’t have made the offer. Thus the question is $3mil worth dickering over if it comes down to stay or go Time

I hear you and it’s not easy. I guess my thinking is if we are willing to give him $11mil and the number has to be $14mil how much damage does that $3mil do in terms of using it on other players. Just doesn’t feel like that much. I’m basing my thinking off of the fact we’ve already made an offer meaning we want him back. So if the FO is willing to spend $11mil that tells me they aren’t thinking of using the full boat on other holes etc or they wouldn’t have made the offer. Thus the question is $3mil worth dickering over if it comes down to stay or go Time

That's like 25% increase. I'd rather tag him and buy time and try to trade him.

how did that Charles Harris pick turnout ?

Well it has only been one year and was one of our highest rated players at the end of the season so pretty well continued development and added strength should see an improvement going into next season.

Well, lets just say that the team really is offering 11 mill a year.......I'm not a big fan of our FO but I'd praise them for drawing a line.......we already gave away several bad deals last year and I know that's not his fault but at some point you have to draw a line and stand by it. NE doesn't go any higher than they feel they should. When a player wants too much BB will just let them go. That 3 mill does make a big difference but lets forget about how much money he wants for a moment. My fear is this.....if you pay him like a number 1 then he will continue to be our main target......he's been our main target for 4 years now and what do we have to show for it? One playoff game in which we got destroyed. No it's not his fault but it is what happens when you run your offense thru a slow slot WR. You want him back at his price? Then expect our offense not to be much better than it's been

Ozzy rules!!

Well, lets just say that the team really is offering 11 mill a year.......I'm not a big fan of our FO but I'd praise them for drawing a line.......we already gave away several bad deals last year and I know that's not his fault but at some point you have to draw a line and stand by it. NE doesn't go any higher than they feel they should. When a player wants too much BB will just let them go. That 3 mill does make a big difference but lets forget about how much money he wants for a moment. My fear is this.....if you pay him like a number 1 then he will continue to be our main target......he's been our main target for 4 years now and what do we have to show for it? One playoff game in which we got destroyed. No it's not his fault but it is what happens when you run your offense thru a slow slot WR. You want him back at his price? Then expect our offense not to be much better than it's been

Ozzy rules!!
You raise something that is in general a problem in the league. If you pay a guy huge money there is this expectation that he has to play - or be force fed - just because of his salary. If they pay Jarvis $14mil and then think they need to target him 200x then yeah I don’t want him back. Not on him but on the stupidity of this line of thinking. With Cutler stinking it up all we heard was “well he’s getting $10mil so they have no choice but to play him”. I call BS on this logic. Imagine if Pete Carroll used the same logic and forced Matt Flynn fresh off of a huge FA deal over a rookie 3rd round pick? No one has balls to do what’s right anymore. If our FO and coaches subscribe to the philosophy we are talking abou then yeah, I don’t want to pay anyone that.

For some reason this franchise AND fan base has not yet learned the notion that TALENT is CUMULATIVE over time in building a champion.

We act like a small-market baseball franchise. Too scared of the big 2nd contract. Get an elite talent, keep him 4 years, let him walk, rinse and repeat.

UNREAL the number of talents we have lost who are starring for other teams and now many want to do it again with Landry. Our ONLY truly elite talent on offense measured league-wide, the only guy who teams really are scared of and gameplan around to any degree.

Landry is a Building Block. Give us 2 or 3 more players like that. You do NOT build by tearing down.

Not as far fetched as some may think. This is all dependent on what happens with Landry. If we let him go then WR has to be considered as high as #11 in the draft. Ridley/Sutton may just be BPA as well.

Still in favor of building the D above all regardless of what happens with Juice.

It's time for an elite defense.
I would settle for an average one.

Talent wise I fear we are a long way from either

Not a fan of WR that early unless you have a team built already...a play maker at any position is worth food for thought but this draft I would trade that pick to another for some resources later....unless I had a difference maker on my board that had slipped to us...

WR is a great position for a stud to shine but we haven't shown the ability to consistently move the chains...or stop the opponent from moving the chains....our flaws need correction first or we would waste the pick drafting a WR at 11.....

Build a stud defense and o-line.....you will be surprised how the current receivers shine afterward...with or without Landry....(the money he wants can be better spent)

IMO

Miami needs an identity. They can't be bad at offense and defense, can they? Id prefer 37-31 games this past year at least. What's the quickest unit to fix? O or D?
Fix the oline. That puts us in the game. Then good defense places us in the playoffs. The o-line is killing us.

Back
Top Bottom