WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WVDolphan's "Get Real" Today's subject-Physically challenged 2nd round money bargains

totally disagree with the sanchez point. I see nothing even close to a franchise qb there. He's had a very small sampling of games where he has been the guy who won the game.
they have the leagues top defense or at worst a top three defense. and two years straight now they have had two runningbacks who shred defenses.
two weeks in a row they have needed overtime to beat lesser competition. and struck lightning in a bottle both games.

I remember when we had the chance to grab matt ryan. Although I love jake long, I was saying we should take matty ice. Not a lot of people on here agreed with me. NOt sure if the original poster did or not, but now there is an entire thread with research done to illustrate the very point I was trying to make a few short years ago.

I think it also should be noted that IMO, henne is right on schedule. Everybody knew the plan was to bring him in, sit him to learn from penny than get him in. Fact of the matter is, he's not a high first rounder, it should have been expected that it would take some time for him to develope. Not sure what all the ruckus is about, he's developing, like he was supposed to, like we all knew he would have to.

Have your "sophisticated" friends stop by... watching you get dizzy and puke all over yourself from all the spinning has gotten monotonous...

Oh yeah, spinning, yet another classic piece of rhetoric. You're nothing if not predictable.

Never mind the fact that I've yet to actually "spin" anything and still have more or less the same stands I've had all along.

Like I said. Keep going off topic and ranting about how great Ryan is, how terrible Henne is, and how amazing your football analysis skills are. I'll keep laughing and calling you out on it.

Good times!

Brees had the most accurate season of ALL TIME, last season. the guy has thrown for 5000 yards before. dont give me the whole star studded team crap.. he makes all those players better. devery henderson is no where near a star, robert meachem is average, and marques colston is not even a top 20 reciever. brees spreads the ball around better than anyone. when bill belicheck pulls tom brady because he knows he cant beat you with him because you have the far superior quarterback, thats when you know youre the ****!

oh, and the guys i named were the guys that brees beat in one season.. no quarterback has outplayed all those guys in one season. drew brees is the man, and he has his saints flying under the radar right now. phillip rivers couldnt beat the pats late, and he couldnt beat the chiefs late. Phillip rivers is not as good as drew brees. I say that, and i love phillip rivers

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned there's no comparison.

Rivers has reached "elite" status much faster than Brees did and you simply cannot compare the talent that Brees has on offense with the talent that Rivers has on offense.

Again, Rivers is a front runner for MVP honors despite throwing to guys that were on the practice squad a few years ago. Brees has not done that (and did not do it early in his career).

We're splitting hairs in a sense, since both are elite quarterbacks, but barring injury, Rivers will be a Hall of Famer while Brees will not. Do you at least agree with that statement?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned there's no comparison.

Rivers has reached "elite" status much faster than Brees did and you simply cannot compare the talent that Brees has on offense with the talent that Rivers has on offense.

Again, Rivers is a front runner for MVP honors despite throwing to guys that were on the practice squad a few years ago. Brees has not done that (and did not do it early in his career).

We're splitting hairs in a sense, since both are elite quarterbacks, but barring injury, Rivers will be a Hall of Famer while Brees will not. Do you at least agree with that statement?

I think you have that backwards right now. Rivers is good but has never won in the playoffs, while Brees pretty much single-handedly resurrected a franchise and has put up great numbers doing it. Int he end its pretty easy to point to Brees as one of the league's top QB's while Rivers slips under the radar because he doesn't dominate good teams for signature wins and he doesn't win playoff games.

To start, lets examine the teams at the top of the playoff chase this season, and see where their QB was selected in their respective drafts.

Patriots - 6th round
Jets - 1st round, traded up using almost all of their picks to select their QB 5th overall
Steelers - 1st round
Ravens - 1st round
Colts - 1st round
Chargers - (yea the Chargers. We all know they are doing their usual and winning down the stretch to capture that weak divisions title) 1st round
Eagles - 1st round
Giants - 1st round
Packers - 1st round
Falcons - 1st round
Saints - 2nd round

A really good case could be made that the 6th round pick has been the most successful of all those listed.

The draft is an art not a science. To say one size fits all is silly.

I didn't overlook the fact that a tackle can be moved to another position, in fact, I just pointed that out in my reply to Guzman... but you don't select a guy that high in the draft with the intentions of playing him at guard... if he doesn't turn out to be your guy at left tackle, you whiffed on the pick, but the fact that the offensive line has 4 other positions allowed you to salvage it...

Protecting the QB's blindside is the arguement that everyone makes to legitimize a left tackles value in the first place, if he isn't doing that, you didn't accomplish what you set out to do with that pick...

Eli was a good quarterback before he won the superbowl... but his perception among fans and his peers certainly changed after winning it....

This is pure comedy..., Coughlin's job on the line the Giants did the inconceivable succession of wins to even get the chance to compete in the POs let alone the SB - people's perception of Eli changed in an instant after he sailed a "hail-mary" falling backwards - he could have just as easily been called in the grasp - in fact he was probably throwing it away....

Eli is not Peyton - yet they both have the same number of SBs

Rivers is better than Brees and Rivers hasn't won the big one yet

Since the Dolphins have pretty much a ZERO shot at landing Andrew Luck, then what QB in the first round should Miami draft? Because, Luck is the only guy that I feel is first round worthy.
Kolb. But a first would be too much to pay. Something like a 2nd and 5th sounds right to me.

Lately, you are one of my favorite posters. Kudos on this thread. Very insightful

if steve young was a first ballet hall of famer so is drew brees

This is pure comedy..., Coughlin's job on the line the Giants did the inconceivable succession of wins to even get the chance to compete in the POs let alone the SB - people's perception of Eli changed in an instant after he sailed a "hail-mary" falling backwards - he could have just as easily been called in the grasp - in fact he was probably throwing it away....

Eli is not Peyton - yet they both have the same number of SBs

Rivers is better than Brees and Rivers hasn't won the big one yet

drew brees is better than rivers... drew brees tells the defense what they are going to do.. just watch the pass against the pats last year. drew brees should have won the mvp last year.. Plus, rivers will not win the mvp because he will not win enough games..

Amazing how fast people want to give up on a qb that has barely started a full season and not a continuous one at that. I see the list of 1st rounders but lets not forget that Rivers and Rodgers sat on the bench for a while, Drew Brees took a while to get good and and his third year Eli was not really any better than Henne overall and Sanchez has basically the same qb rating as Henne. Qb;s like Matt Ryan really dont come along very often as in starting off playing well as a rookie.People for some reason tend to forget that qb's most of the time take time to develop. I actually hope that Henne comes back from injury real quick so we can actually see what we have in him. Nobody was a bigger supporter of how good Ryan was than me but we did not draft him and the odds of getting a guy that good in any draft are not good so lets not just assume we draft a guy like Luck and we have a star on our hands. Henne has not been as bad as some want to make him out to be . We have the worst OC in the league and that is definately hurting Henne's development.

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2010 New Orleans Saints 9 9 261 374 69.8 2,587 6.9 18 12 13 91 91.7 12 -5 -0.4 0 6 1
2009 New Orleans Saints 15 15 363 514 70.6 4,388 8.5 34 11 20 135 109.6 22 33 1.5 2 10 6
2008 New Orleans Saints 16 16 413 635 65.0 5,069 8.0 34 17 13 92 96.2 22 -1 0.0 0 6 1
2007 New Orleans Saints 16 16 440 652 67.5 4,423 6.8 28 18 16 109 89.4 23 52 2.3 1 9 4
2006 New Orleans Saints 16 16 356 554 64.3 4,418 8.0 26 11 18 105 96.2 42 32 0.8 0 8 3

Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2010 San Diego Chargers 9 9 215 329 65.3 2,944 8.9 19 8 22 140 102.9 17 26 1.5 0 6 3
2009 San Diego Chargers 16 16 317 486 65.2 4,254 8.8 28 9 25 167 104.4 26 50 1.9 1 6 3
2008 San Diego Chargers 16 16 312 478 65.3 4,009 8.4 34 11 25 151 105.5 31 84 2.7 0 8 4
2007 San Diego Chargers 16 16 277 460 60.2 3,152 6.9 21 15 22 163 82.4 29 33 1.1 1 11 6
2006 San Diego Chargers 16 16 284 460 61.7 3,388 7.4 22 9 27 144 92.0 48 49 1.0 0 8 2

over the past 5 seasons drew brees has out played rivers.. has been to 2 nfc championship games, and has a superbowl win.. he's more accurate, has way more touchdowns, and way more yards... ****, last season he had more yards, better completion percentage, and better rating while playing 1 game less.. brees is better!

// ** Henne & The Final Answer for the Dolphins ** \\

O.K guys, here is the deal:

I was against benching Henne to begin with. He should have stayed in there, with every opportunity to sink or swim, so that....at the end of the season we would KNOW if he was "the man" or not.

Imagine this.....imagine if Penny would have managed to keep his Lego parts in place for the rest of the year, and we finished 8-8. Could you imagine how the fans would have been divided the entire offseason???!!!??? Half of us would have been salivating for a top QB in the draft (whatever the cost), the other half would have been crying that Henne was not given a fair shot, and should start in 2011. We would have debated endlessly, as the Dolphin brass would have been doing as well.... No clear direction, and no clear answer.

Henne should have finished the year to see what he was made of. At the end of the year we would have had a good body of work to study, and the answer would have been clear. Bringing in Penny was a short-term panic move that served no mid or long-term purpose. All it could have done was put us back on to the the revolving-door QB track that has us ALL so pissed. The brass needs to be roasted for the Penny move.

We NEED the long-term answer at QB.

If it is not Henne, sell your soul for your best chance at getting one. Listen to WVDolphan and the logic....he is right. If you remember, we, and a lot of others were itching to take Ryan in the draft while so many others lamely said the usual: "no, lets get the BPA and then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and slowly groom him for a year or two". Buls**t, I want a young QB who can be thrown in the fire and "walk the walk". I want a LEADER in the locker room who will not take any crap from anyone. Not someone who will clam up and take an earful.

The thing that hurt be most about watching Henne, is the lack of FIRE. I was so tired of the "dink-and-dunk", throwing 5yds on 3rd down when we need 10yds. If he was to fail, he should have had the balls to go down fighting. Where was the deep ball (don't give me that we-have-no-deep-threat B.S)?? Where was the swagger?

I will tell you this, if Thigpen wins a couple of games in a row, Henne will remain on the bench (even if healthy). When the season is over, we may have a clear picture on Thigpen, but not on Henne.

Time to get your wallets and draft picks ready guys, 'cause if the season ends and we still have to clear answer on Thigpen or Henne, then we need to put our balls on the table and ante up for one. We are a decade overdue.

All of you with the "mid-level" pick mindset need to take a vacation and come back when the draft is over. Your way has set the Dolphins back an entire decade (more..) .

This is our time, and it is time to do it our way.

Henne is fine at QB. The problem is the play calling and the lack of a true deep threat. It's pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom