2015 Pro Days | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2015 Pro Days

Samford Pro Day
Almost two dozen teams were on hand for safety Jaquiski Tartt, including defensive back coaches from the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals and Cleveland Browns.

Tartt, who met with the Browns and Lions yesterday, ran 40 times of 4.45 with the wind and 4.54 against the wind on a slippery field that was still recovering from a weekend storm. Tartt then performed well in position drills, displaying good ball skills.

Also taking part in the workout was Miles cornerback Travis Lee, who stood on his times from an earlier workout. The St Louis Rams, who've been hot on Lee's trail, again commented on how much they like the cornerback after watching him today.

Colorado State-Pueblo Pro Day
I'm told the Miami Dolphins, Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos are in Pubelo at the time of this posting, watching quarterback Chris Bonner throw. More as it comes in.

UMass Pro Day
Almost a dozen teams, including the Denver Broncos and Washington Redskins, were on hand to watch tight end Jean Sifrin try and improve on his combine marks.

The junior did as much, timing 4.78 seconds in the 40 after measuring 6-5 1/2, 243 pounds. He completed 15 reps on the bench and finished with a 9-10 broad, another improvement from Indianapolis.

In position drills, Sifrin looked good, catching all but one pass, a fade pattern at the end of the workout.

Southern Alabama Pro Day
There was a nice crowd on hand for the South Alabama pro day, primarily to watch three prospects.

Tight end Wes Saxton stood on his combine 40 time (4.65s) but after weighing in at 253 pounds (five more than Indianapolis), he completed 19 reps on the bench. Saxton did not bench at the combine.

In pass-catching drills, I'm told Saxton looked terrific. He lined up as a conventional tight end, in the slot as well as out on the flanks and seamlessly caught the ball.

The Miami Dolphins, who sent their tight ends coach to the pro day, privately worked out Saxton after most of the teams had left. Tomorrow, Saxton will work out for the Atlanta Falcons then have dinner with the team.

Quarterback Brandon Bridge displayed his legendary arm for teams, and though slightly more accurate than the season, he was still all over the place with a lot of his passes.

Keep an eye on Melvin Meggs, whom I rate as a possible seventh-round pick at guard. Meggs was the starting left tackle for the Jaguars two of the last three seasons, sitting on the sidelines in 2013 with a knee injury.

Today, he measured 6-2 6/8, 299 pounds, timed 5.15 seconds in the 40, 7.18 seconds in the 3-cone drill and 4.64 seconds in the short shuttle. Teams had Meggs work out at guard and center, asking him to snap the ball. He moved very well and was fluid in drills. As someone told me, they were surprised such a "bottom-heavy guy" (thick legs) moved so well.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#yhDMqk6Y3SXEQqP7.99

If we were to actually draft a TE (which I don't think we should), Wes Saxton is a very intriguing prospect. He ran an official 4.65 but his unofficial time was a 4.56 or 4.58 (was rewatching the O-line and TEs this weekend) and he looked smooth and effortless. That's an H-back\TE prospect that could develop nicely to fill Charles Clay's shoes.

EJ Bibbs is a lot more "EJ-Train" than he is "Clay-clone". Big, heavy aggressive guy. Good hands, but not quick or particularly elusive.

I think I'm the only one who would prefer Rory Anderson over Bibbs or Sexton. If Anderson ends up with a proven quarterback he's going to be considered a late round steal.

I think I'm the only one who would prefer Rory Anderson over Bibbs or Sexton. If Anderson ends up with a proven quarterback he's going to be considered a late round steal.

You are correct...you're the only one that prefers Rory Anderson. Don't see much use for a 6'5" 227 lbs TE that runs mid 4.7s.

Saxton is the best late round prospect, imo. Watching him is like watching 2013's Walford. Underdeveloped, natural athlete, plus instincts, smooth route runner, some drops, inconsistent and underpowered blocking. There's a lot to work with there - more potential than with Hoskins last season, although the college production isn't there at all (which makes you wonder).

You are correct...you're the only one that prefers Rory Anderson. Don't see much use for a 6'5" 227 lbs TE that runs mid 4.7s.

I saw that weight listed elsewhere, but he's actually 250. I don't know where the 227 number came from. He was 244 at the combine and the pro day. I respect your opinion, a lot of people who know more than I do would side with you before they would see what I see. I just think he's going to be a very good receiving tight end. I'm fond of tight ends that actually move like receivers. He's not stiff and has solid hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting here watching the FSU proday and I'm starting to really like R. Greene. He is a smooth runner and a hands catcher, what's his draft projection? I'd be in on him in round 2 or 3 if we can get it back.

I'll get more FSU pro day stuff up when it comes out but in the meantime.

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline · 2h 2 hours ago
Really good passing workout for Jameis Winston/FSU thus far. Missed a few downfield throws but velocity on throws is impressive.

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline · 1h 1 hour ago
no doubt- Winston's workout has been head and shoulders over Mariota's and I'm a Mariota guy...

Athletically the kids a freak but I haven't been able to find much tape on him at all. Don't know what kind of player he is.

The only vid I have seen on B. Jones is from Draft Breakdown.
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/byron-jones-vs-east-carolina-2014/

Bleacher Report has a very good article of Jones from his Pro Day.
Combine Star Byron Jones Continues to Attract NFL Attention at UConn Pro Day
In addition to sprinting and lifting, Jones also went through a 15-minute positional workout, a drill that was led by Jacksonville Jaguars defensive backs coach Dewayne Walker and Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer.

Jones caught the ball cleanly in his hands and looked smooth in his transitions, putting a strong exclamation point on a workout session that furthered his draft stock’s positive momentum.

“Overall, good day,” Jones said while meeting with the media after the workout. “I felt like I ran fast, I felt confident.”

In spite of that, Jones acknowledged that he had some issues picking up the new coverage techniques that Zimmer was teaching him on the spot.

“He was trying to change my backpedal, and be more relaxed in the upper body; instead of getting down too low, stay up a little more,” Jones said of the coaching from Zimmer. “It’s stuff that I need to work on if I’m going to be on his team, and I have no problem working on those techniques.”
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN

B. Jones not just an athlete. Watch him "play" the CB position. Snap to finish. All disciplines & techniques. He is a good football player.

Here's my report on UConn CB Byron Jones: http://t.co/kcbeAJyjOb
— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) February 23, 2015

According to Pro Football Focus, Jones allowed the second-lowest passer rating among all cornerbacks in the Football Bowl Subdivision this past season. That number should be taken with a grain of salt, because he played only seven games and did not face much premier receiving talent in those contests, but it nonetheless supports the fact that Jones is a consistent cover corner who does not typically allow big plays.

The thing that makes Byron Jones attractive is not necessarily his athleticism. It's the fact he has multiple years exp. at both CB and Saf
— Mike Loyko (@NEPD_Loyko) March 31, 2015
https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/582937762195746816

While Jones said NFL teams are mainly evaluating him as a cornerback, he is willing to change positions if asked to do so.

“I don’t mind if they move me to safety, I’d actually enjoy that,” Jones said. “At the end of the day, you’re a defensive back, whether you’re a corner or a safety.”

It is evident in Jones’ game film that he is more comfortable in press coverage than off-man coverage at this point. Jones acknowledged Tuesday that he needs to improve in off-man coverage, but also expressed that he expects to get better in that area with experience.

“Off-man coverage, for me, is something I need to work on, reading the three-step drop and the five-step drop,” Jones said. “As I work on the off-man, I’m going to be comfortable in that as well.”
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ues-to-attract-nfl-attention-at-uconn-pro-day

hey truth interested in knowing if rashad greene ran the 40 again at his pro day and if so the time...thanks

hey truth interested in knowing if rashad greene ran the 40 again at his pro day and if so the time...thanks

He did not...just checked. Came in at 5' 11 5/8" and 177 lbs and just did positional drills. That's a serious lightweight there.

Back
Top Bottom