2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2021: Was Tua better than Lamar Jackson?; Chargers Herbert NOT a Top-3 QB

Herbert isnt a top 5 QB yet, and the reason the Chargers havent won that many games is because they're using him like he is... Herbert is a very good QB but you actually need an elite QB to win in this league if you're going to throw the ball an inordinate amount of the time, which they did... They're doing him wrong in the grand scheme of things. They should've made the playoffs in both seasons he's played already if only they didnt put the whole offense on his back. On the other side of the coin is a guy like Jimmy, who's mediocre by all means, put in a situation where they've installed a running game that opens up the whole field and makes it easy for him... And they win games.

Teams get lazy and just try to find the next elite QB, skipping steps on how to actually gameplan/build around their strengths and weaknesses. Its the new norm. Draft a guy, let him sink or swim in your **** show of a team building and gameplan strategy and blame him when **** goes wrong. Im glad the Fins picked up McDaniel because he seems to have got that part right, time will tell if his personality will be a problem down the road...
Justin Herbert is 2nd QB to lead a team with a bottom 3 defense to a winning record since 2000. Saying that the Chargers haven’t won many games because of him is completely ignorant of what he actually manages to do with that team. The only reason they are ever in games IS because of Herbert. With no Herbert that team is picking in the top 3 this past draft.

This will be the first season since he was a sophomore (?) that he’ll run the same offense in back-to-back seasons, which is wild to think about. He may not be a top 5 qb right now but he has all the makings of one.

" It's hard to rationalize Lamar Jackson being better than Tua at the job being an NFL QB "

This cannot be taken seriously as Jackson is already a way more accomplished QB and they are the same age! Wake me up when Tua has an MVP, starts leading us to the playoffs every year and has broken any kind of NFL record.

Wake us all up when Lamar Jackson comes anywhere close to repeating that MVP season now that the playbook is out on him. Hell, Kaepernick had an MVP half of a season and helped lead SF to a SB when nobody knew how to defend him and the read option. Then with an offseason of film to digest, it was all down hill from there.

Also, wake me up when cover 0 works against Tua Tagovailoa play after play as it does against Lamar Jackson. SMH.

Lastly, Jackson may be more “accomplished” and has played on better teams, but that in no way makes him a better QB today. Dude has thrown for over 3K yards ONCE in his career and has more than twice the amount of starts that Tua has.

Lamar is a great athlete, no doubt, and the Ravens have been a pillar of success as a team for decades now. But if you truly are under the delusion that Lamar Jackson is better at reading defenses and slinging the football than Tua Tagovailoa there’s no helping you. You handle is kinda a dead giveaway that‘s the case.

Justin Herbert is 2nd QB to lead a team with a bottom 3 defense to a winning record since 2000. Saying that the Chargers haven’t won many games because of him is completely ignorant of what he actually manages to do with that team. The only reason they are ever in games IS because of Herbert. With no Herbert that team is picking in the top 3 this past draft.

This will be the first season since he was a sophomore (?) that he’ll run the same offense in back-to-back seasons, which is wild to think about. He may not be a top 5 qb right now but he has all the makings of one.
I mean... I litterally said in my post that the Chargers are at fault for not winning as many games as they could with Herbert...

And BTW... Tua has yet to have the same OC in back to back years too, and its not happening this year either...

This has been the knock on Herbert. Shrinks in big games/pressure situations. In his rookie year this was absolutely very true as well. He was brutal in close games in the 4th. He did improve some this last year. But still 4Q time he falters to much. The 4th had his worst competition % and he also threw 7 of his 15 ints. Most games in the NFL come down to the 4th quarter. In his career so far he is also far better in the 1st half then the second half. The big drop off from 1st to 2nd half is not a good thing, when looking for "winning QBs" in the NFL. Herbert drops in completion % by 4, his TD/int goes from a little over 4/1 to slightly below 2/1, and his passer rating drops almost 15 points from 105.4 to 90.9 in the 2nd half. And yes he is young so he may improve. But those numbers are a red flag when you also combine that with why despite the best physical gifts in his draft was the 3 rated QB. Concerns of play in pressure situations. For example Mahomes pass rating goes from 105.9 to 105.6. Burrow from 99.3 to 103.1 and both are young QBs. Anyway this is why a lot of people don't put Herbert in the top 5 category.
Let’s be honest. The only people that don’t put Herbert in the top 5 category are us Dolphin fans that are desperate to justify taking Tua over him. It’s almost a consensus among all experts that Herbert is one of the most exciting and talented QBs in the NFL right now.

Let’s just hope that Tua takes the leap and earns a place into the conversation with Herbert this year.

Let’s be honest. The only people that don’t put Herbert in the top 5 category are us Dolphin fans that are desperate to justify taking Tua over him. It’s almost a consensus among all experts that Herbert is one of the most exciting and talented QBs in the NFL right now.

Let’s just hope that Tua takes the leap and earns a place into the conversation with Herbert this year.
TD% 8th
INT%(highest better) 17th
Comp% 18th
YPA 10th
rating 11th

Pass Attempts 2nd

Regardless of what you think about Tua... Herbert isnt top 5.

TD% 8th
Comp% 18th
YPA 10th
rating 11th

Pass Attempts 2nd

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady , Allen, Herbert, Burrow. He’s definitely Tier One.

I like Tua but I would put him in Tier 3 right now with QBs like Prescott, Cousins, And Carr. Not bad company to be in.

TD% 8th
Comp% 18th
YPA 10th
rating 11th

Pass Attempts 2nd

Advanced metrics such as QBR, DVOA, and PFF grades (I know, I know) argue that he is — or at the very least he is in that conversation. Out of respect, I can’t place him above guys like Rodgers and Brady, but through two seasons he is on a trajectory like no other.

Has nothing to due with Tua. Many people at the Draft had concerns about Herbert in big situations. Those experts are probably ESPN and other major media. They sell fantasy football and highlights. Again look back at his draft profile. Heck the year before he was the #1 QB and came back to school. Heck if you want to bring Tua into do you realize Tua actually has a better Passer rating in 2nd half over their careers.

Anyway Herbert is an athletic phenomenon that needs to still learn how to perform in the clutch(maybe he will Mayne he won't) but as of now he is like another SD QB (Rivers). Great numbers fantasy FB fans love yet never win as much as the numbers say. Tarzan in the first half Jane in the second. Go watch him play an actual whole game like 10 times. He crumples late in close games. Maybe that will change but until then he doesn't sniff top five the NFL. Hype (media) and Fantasy FB sure he is top 5.

I like Tua but I would put him in Tier 3 right now with QBs like Prescott, Cousins, And Carr. Not bad company to be in.
Who's talking about Tua? Regardless of what you think about Tua, Herbert is not a top 5 QB right now... And its not his fault the Chargers have been trying to win the we got a great QB award instead of trying to win games ever since Philip Rivers...

But let that sink in... The Chargers are using Herbert as if he were a top 5 QB and are losing games because he isnt... The total stats are irrelevant outside of the scope of fantasy football and their passing game isnt efficient enough for them to be 2nd in pass attempts and win enough games to win anything relevant in actual NFL games. Totals are useless if not backed up by efficiency.

If I am not mistaken he only said Herbert isn't top 5. Why do you feel the need to mention Tua when arguing his statement about Herbert only? Fact of the matter is, Herbert didn't show me he can handle pressure as well as Burrow can. BURROW IS THE REAL DEAL!!! ice in his veins. I sure hope Tua can get there too we will see for sure.

Advanced metrics such as QBR, DVOA, and PFF grades (I know, I know) argue that he is — or at the very least he is in that conversation. Out of respect, I can’t place him above guys like Rodgers and Brady, but through two seasons he is on a trajectory like no other.
You're talking to a guy who knows a thing or 2 about football metrics... While the metrics you're stating are useful in their own rights, they use a **** ton of variables that make them pretty unstable in a 2 seasons timeframe. I have no problem saying Herbert is a top 10 QB right now, and he might be in the conversation for top 5 if the Chargers werent putting him in this situation, but they have and he isnt.

Back
Top Bottom